What other secrets have you guys activated in Shenmue 2 besides the Duck Race?

I actually have a 2 sided headed quarter and a 2 sided tails quarter. I live in the U.S.
I hope you get some advantage of those, similarly to Ren xD. Like "you do the laundry today" and "uhm, lets flip a coin and decide". Shenmue wisdom
Btw, I live in Gran Canaria mate. Spanish political territory and African geographically. Also our identity is very mixed between: spanish, african (aborigen descendant of bereber tribe), latino due to historical migration routes and a bit of wild pigs/boars too. And we also adored devils long ago (search for Guayota and Iruene)
We are the true Ganados from RE4, I miss the peseta a lot and chasing the extranjero . Burning them at the town square ah good long gone old times.

Last edited:
That sounds very interesting. But sadly to say I don't understand any of it. I am sorry.

I hope you get some advantage of those, similarly to Ren xD. Like "you do the laundry today" and "uhm, lets flip a coin and decide". Shenmue wisdom
Btw, I live in Gran Canaria mate. Spanish political territory and African geographically. Also our identity is very mixed between: spanish, african (aborigen descendant of bereber tribe), latino due to historical migration routes and a bit of wild pigs/boars too. And we also adored devils long ago (search for Guayota and Iruene)
We are the true Ganados from RE4, I miss the peseta a lot and chasing the extranjero . Burning them at the town square ah good long gone old times.
That sounds very interesting. But sadly to say I don't understand any of it. I am sorry.

If you meet joy for the first time at night no one would be in her way and won't yell "Get outta my way!' Also you will be able to see her bike all lit up

In Kowloon, Joy's bike is parked outside the Tea Building. Go up to her bike and press X to trigger a scene. This ONLY happens before Ryo gets caught by Dou Niu.

Last edited:
ive only ever done the duck race and hidden fights but i never activated the Fangmei's birthday scene.

if you havent tried it, i recommend the hidden Eileen and Izumi fights. its is pretty good.

When you are looking for the cassette tape and Ren gives you the cassette player, you can hear Joy having a conversation with Guizhang Chen and Joy at the 651 mark.

Can anyone tell me where to find Anan Liu the sign str8ening guy in Green Market quarter right across the Lucky Hit stand which is located to the left down the street after leaving Come Over Guest House. I can't find him anymore and I need his photo. I had forgotten about the photo side missions as this is my second time playing it on the 'Xbox' version. I am so use to playing it on the DC. I hope I didn't lose my chance. I am also missing the the two skinny guys that I fought after hopping over the fence chasing Wong. I know I can get Cool Z later.

Now that there's seem to be people looking at Shenmue II secrets, it would help keeping eyes open for a MIA npc, info that was made public knowledge by Miles Prower (Shenmue Wiki maintener)

Thread 'Have You Seen Me? Possibly Missing NPC in Shenmue II' https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/have-you-seen-me-possibly-missing-npc-in-shenmue-ii.4929/QEHUwZDD4QFnoECCoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2KKwip9k-yazGSV2RhXt61
Ironically this Shenmue link seems to be MIA it doesn;t work

Last edited:
I've played through Shenmue 2 again... What a nostalgia trip on one of the most influential games of the 00s.

The secrets however... Definitely aren't worth it except the duck racing secret and the build up to fight the two girls Elieen and Izumi IMO

Shenmue 1 definitely had better hidden scenes/secrets for sure.

Man... Miss the days when gaming had soul to it :'(

I've played through Shenmue 2 again... What a nostalgia trip on one of the most influential games of the 00s.

The secrets however... Definitely aren't worth it except the duck racing secret and the build up to fight the two girls Elieen and Izumi IMO

Shenmue 1 definitely had better hidden scenes/secrets for sure.

I am in the process or Fangmei's Birthday encounter. I liked this secret. It is tedious but I feel it is worth. Games missing soul like Dark Souls, SoulCalibur, Legacy of Kane Soul Reaver, Soul of the Samurai

Revisiting Shenmue or any other game of that generation and realizing that it weren't infinite tutorials. "Press the directional buttons to walk, hold X to run" except for MGS that started the rule.
Coronel Campbell... I will never forgive you, never.
Thats why some streamers play those games like beheaded lemmings, and instead of enjoying the sense of being lost in the unknown... "Where are my instructions and markers?? These games are unbearable!!"

I have a couple more scenes one that i already knew about which is When you and Ren go to Great View Herbs in the Great View Building as soon as you get to Kowloon, he tells you to ring the bell to call Yang. If you w8 about 2 minutes Ren will get frustrated and end up ringing the bell himself. The other one that is one that I just stumbled on to it myself and that is after you get to the 40th floor in the Yellowhead Building and have defeated the guys in the office, if you wait about 3 minutes (maybe a little more or less) Joy will say "Come on we have to hurry up and save Wong"

Something that I've always wondered if there's any dialogue leftovers from:
- some canned Free Battle or QTE at Come Over Guest House, after repeteadly refusing to pay our stay.
- the capsule toy collector. He serves for giving the player tips about the pawnshops but appearing even at Kowloon with the same lines feels off, like if he had some other purpose at early stages.

Something that I've always wondered if there's any dialogue leftovers from:
- some canned Free Battle or QTE at Come Over Guest House, after repeteadly refusing to pay our stay.
- the capsule toy collector. He serves for giving the player tips about the pawnshops but appearing even at Kowloon with the same lines feels off, like if he had some other purpose at early stages.
Make sure you take a pic of this guy for the photo secrets. He is found at the beginning of the game just before you pass into the doorway where the fortune teller is. If you have missed him just quickly start a new game and take his pic and reload your last save to continue your game. These pics have their own save spot separate of your game save.

Also in regards to dialogue i feel at times in Shenmue 2 it had unnecessary dialogue. The part where you have to use the keys to open Yuanda Zhu's hiding spot Every time Ryo stuck a key into the slot he turns to Ren and says "The key fits I heard a click 3 to go... two to go one to go. Also when Ryo and ren are climbing to the 17th floor of the Yellowhead building they both have to say something before climbing the stairs for EACH floor

😯, How do you unlock that one? If it's too long to explain then dw about it.
I think it's in both of one of the cafes in green market QTR and lucky charm QTR. Ethier of these will unlock the scene which ever one you choose.

You all know the spot when we first fight those two punks after chasing Wong, right? After that scene, the oldman who stayed at the Free Lodge and played some guesses with us is there sleeping. If we try talking to him, Ryo says "I will come back later".
Come back after getting all medals, he will whisper the number of fights you had including QTEs.
If the last two digits matches he wakes up and gives a random capsule toys. If the last two digits are even he gives away the exclusive Bolt Lighter, and if last two digits are odds he gives the also exclusive Mythril Lighter.
Selling the Mythril Lighter at Wise Men Qr. pawnshops give us a cassette called "Great Gospel".
question
isn't the freestay locked out by the time you get the gold medal?
perhaps i didn't understand this.
i would have liked to have done it in this playthrough.

question
isn't the freestay locked out by the time you get the gold medal?
perhaps i didn't understand this.
i would have liked to have done it in this playthrough.
My bad mate, it was a silly joke referencing the sleeping old man in psx FFVII. Even the items named are similar to those you get in that game.

Great Gospel was indeed Aerith final limit.

Anyway, Shenmue 's sleeping guy its relocated in the place you have the first fight after chasing Wong. He's snoring and ignoring the player most of the time but it really has certain points with new questions for Ryo. Anyone correct me if Im wrong but one situation is early the day after looking for Ren. BlueMue had a video for it in his YT channel.

You all know the spot when we first fight those two punks after chasing Wong, right? After that scene, the oldman who stayed at the Free Lodge and played some guesses with us is there sleeping. If we try talking to him, Ryo says "I will come back later".
Come back after getting all medals, he will whisper the number of fights you had including QTEs.
If the last two digits matches he wakes up and gives a random capsule toys. If the last two digits are even he gives away the exclusive Bolt Lighter, and if last two digits are odds he gives the also exclusive Mythril Lighter.
Selling the Mythril Lighter at Wise Men Qr. pawnshops give us a cassette called "Great Gospel".

Back