What Shenmue Anime Merch do you think will be available?

bcdcdude

Dude with tweed :)
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
PSN
bcdcdude
Steam
bcdcdude
Today's exciting news got me thinking about how a lot of anime sells merchandise to exploit enhance the show. So i'm wondering what merch could feasibly be available for the Shenmue anime. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

Soundtrack CD's - Often I see opening/closing themes released as singles as well as albums containing the themes. The singer of [Alexandros] bought Ryo's jacket for Shenmue III and they are a pretty big deal in Japan, so imagine if they did the theme tune?

Blu-Ray/DVD's - As I understand it, physical media is still big in Japan, so this must be a cert. In the UK, it's not so big, but a lot of boutique labels exist and you have a few big anime companies who do great boxsets.

Plushies/Figurines - These could come in all shapes and sizes; normal and chibi variations. A chibi Shenhua and Nozomi would be a day one buy for me.

Clear files - Again, A4 files seem to be a big deal in Japan, so i'm sure this would be a cheap money spinner.

Anime game - Highly unlikely, but i'm thinking back to the Saturn/PS1 days where you had stuff like an FMV/Anime version of the Street Fighter II movie.

Clothing - T-Shirts. Again, an cheap and easy way to make sales.

Capsule Toys - I mean this is a meta licence to print money, surely??

Is there anything else I might be missing? The way I see it, we should be saving up right now...hopefully it will show the bean counters that Shenmue is a horse worth backing :)

Today's exciting news got me thinking about how a lot of anime sells merchandise to exploit enhance the show. So i'm wondering what merch could feasibly be available for the Shenmue anime. Off the top of my head, I can think of the following:

Soundtrack CD's - Often I see opening/closing themes released as singles as well as albums containing the themes. The singer of [Alexandros] bought Ryo's jacket for Shenmue III and they are a pretty big deal in Japan, so imagine if they did the theme tune?

Blu-Ray/DVD's - As I understand it, physical media is still big in Japan, so this must be a cert. In the UK, it's not so big, but a lot of boutique labels exist and you have a few big anime companies who do great boxsets.

Plushies/Figurines - These could come in all shapes and sizes; normal and chibi variations. A chibi Shenhua and Nozomi would be a day one buy for me.

Clear files - Again, A4 files seem to be a big deal in Japan, so i'm sure this would be a cheap money spinner.

Anime game - Highly unlikely, but i'm thinking back to the Saturn/PS1 days where you had stuff like an FMV/Anime version of the Street Fighter II movie.

Is there anything else I might be missing? The way I see it, we should be saving up right now...hopefully it will show the bean counters that Shenmue is a horse worth backing :)
From what we’ve seen and heard, it seems like we’re going to end up with a Seinen style show, so I can’t see us getting plushies.

I do potentially see some action figures along with clothing, CDs and Bluray.

Great topic.

Quite simply I will be buying all of it!

I'd add soundtrack to that as well.

Super optimistic, borderline unrealistic wants:

- Physical Blu-Ray and DVD release
- High quality, super articulated, realistic adult toy figurines
- A spin off Shenmue: The Animation 2D fighting game, featuring loads of the main characters and a story mode that goes through the general beats of the story
- Tshirts, hoodies and other clothing accessories
- A manga spin off

Great topic.

Quite simply I will be buying all of it!

I'd add soundtrack to that as well.

This.

I'm going full throttle buying anything and everything that's released, like I did with Shenmue 3 limited editions and the highest tier I could afford on the Kickstarter at the time!

"Go big or go home" lol

I'm hoping a company like AllTheAnime release it on Blu ray in the UK.
They've done some cool collectors editions to be honest!
I’d be very surprised if it’s not released on blu ray in the west considering that’s where most of the series’ fans are.

I’m really curious about how much Western influence we’ll see in the anime too. Even though its a Japanese studio making it, I have a feeling it’s being produced with a western audience in mind. I’m not expecting them to completely tear up the anime rule book or anything like that, but I can see it straying from some of the anime tropes that a lot of westerners find off putting.

I’d be very surprised if it’s not released on blu ray in the west considering that’s where most of the series’ fans are.

I'm pretty sure a bluray release in the West will happen.
AllTheAnime are pretty good with collector edition sets though, so that's why I was leaning a bit more toward hoping they'd release it. We may get some juicy extras etc!

I'm pretty sure a bluray release in the West will happen.
AllTheAnime are pretty good with collector edition sets though, so that's why I was leaning a bit more toward hoping they'd release it. We may get some juicy extras etc!
I see. I’m curious if the Japanese releases will include the English dub. I’d like to buy it just to show support, but if there’s no English I might have to pass (or import).

I see. I’m curious if the Japanese releases will include the English dub. I’d like to buy it just to show support, but if there’s no English I might have to pass (or import).
Generally Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays don't include English dubs. The only exception I can think of is the Hellsing 20th anniversary boxset but that was a unique situation. With that said most Japanese discs are region free for some reason, you'll be able to play the anime just fine... understanding it will be a different matter.

Generally Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays don't include English dubs. The only exception I can think of is the Hellsing 20th anniversary boxset but was a unique situation. With that said most Japanese discs are region free for some reason, you'll be able to play the anime just fine... understanding it will be a different matter.
I suppose I could just buy the Japanese release and... acquire... a copy of the English dubbed version.

Back