What was Shenhua doing while interrogating the thug at hermits nest

This is the scene I`m referring to with the appropriate time-code embedded:

I didn`t really understand why the scene with Shenhua and Ryo interrogating the thug at hermits nest was like it was. I`m not sure if I missed something but this is how I saw it:

I think the way the scene was handled was by far the worst scene in the game and nearly killed Shenhua as a character for me. It doesn`t help that she is nothing but a side character in Niaowu shortly afterwards.

Back to the original subject though:

I think the way Shenhua is portrait in Shenmue 2 is that she is kind hearted, kinda naive at times but also very determined and strong at others. I also think that the way she used her power on the flower pedals to make them float was like it is normal and not out of the ordinary to her. It showed that she doesn`t seem to be fully aware of her special powers. This is also manifested in Shenmue 3 when she tells Ryo about her talking to or understanding animals.

Now this scene has three things that potentially rub me the wrong way when it comes to her using her "power":

1. If she physically harms the thug, it would be very hypercritical, because she literally and multiple times stops Ryo from doing so and all Ryo does is threaten him. It isn`t even said that he would go through with it and hurt him. This would mean she prevents him from potentially doing something, assuming she finds it unethical, but just a few moments later does it herself. Very hypocritical! But unlikely I`d say.

2. If she uses some sort of psychic power on him it would be weird because it would tell us that she is more aware of them then she kinda made Ryo think, which would be calculated and deceiving. The hypocritical part mentioned above would carry over because the result is the same. The guy was trembling because of what she did to him. So this option is even worse. Weirdly she didn`t want them to see it, too. Like she was hiding it, which as mentioned above she didn`t do before.

3. The third option is that it was just a anime-esque comedic scene. In that case it was just very, very, very poorly directed, especially because of the close up on her eye with that menacing music and the reaction of the thug, who was very distraught! Though the conversation of the thug, Ryo and Shenhua after it happened makes this a real possibility because it sounded like they were joking about it after a few seconds even though she threatened him again...

So either way I hate this scene and it just shows facets of a characters that go very contrary to a girl that jumped into a muddy river to save a goat!

Did I miss something or what happened in that scene?! Did something awake in her for a moment because she was frightened for what could happen to her father. If that is the case it didn`t seem to be a temporary state, nor was it very sudden.

No, you didn’t miss anything. The scene was definitely strange. We don’t know what Shenhua did specifically but it seems to be more hints at her obvious magical abilities. Maybe she had to act out of character for the moment as they are desperate for answers, suggesting she is fully aware of her abilities and just keeping them unrevealed for now.
It did come across as a tad corny, but compared to other directoral decisions in the game, wasn’t too offputting.

There's a scene with Shenhua at night in Bailu where you're talking to her and it's like she telepathically communicates something to Ryo. There's dialogue on her part but no mouth movement and Ryo looks shocked. I don't know if it's a dubbing error or her using her 'powers'. I should have timestamped this, it was on Bluemue's latest video about Ryo and Shenhua's late night chats.

There's a scene with Shenhua at night in Bailu where you're talking to her and it's like she telepathically communicates something to Ryo. There's dialogue on her part but no mouth movement and Ryo looks shocked. I don't know if it's a dubbing error or her using her 'powers'. I should have timestamped this, it was on Bluemue's latest video about Ryo and Shenhua's late night chats.
Do you have any rough estimation of where it occurs in the video? I don't want to spoil these conversations for myself... but THIS one in particular I gotta see.

I actually loved the interactive interrogation, even if it was only having a choice in the order of the line of questions.

Considering this was the only nod toward Shenhua's mysticism that was displayed so eloquently in Shenmue 2, I loved the insinuation she may have used some sort of power on him. I think it was intentionally ambiguous, however, with the other option being just a cute anime-style scene as some have mentioned

The way I see it is this......

She knew the thug wouldn't talk and with Ryo being the all round pure white hat wearing good guy that must always keep his hands clean ( which is why he will NEVER kill Lan Di no matter how many games get made ) she used her mind powers on him. ( It's also why she told him he couldn't beat the guy up. It's also why Ren is there to steal when Ryo can't. Ryo has to remain pure )
So I imagine she played on his deepest fears and tortured him that way. At least that's how I would have done it.

She used the same trick later on when she first meets Ren and he starts getting on her nerves. She uses her power and he suddenly ups and leaves.

Again her ability to talk to animals and her always winning hide and seek as a child are other pointers to her being able to read/influence others minds.

Yes she's always known she is different and has powers. It's clear that in the original two games and the CGI from Shenmue Online that she is either a reincarnated version of the Empress or possibly a Goddess herself given human form. Had the games continued back in the day she may well have been the key to everything and died saving Ryo and the world.
The noble sacrifice you could say.

Of course since all of that may well have now fallen by the wayside story wise the same way the magic sword was awol and her dress changed to this new outfit not to mention her whole character basically becoming a different person from the girl we spent hours with at the end of 2. But as things stand now it's just become a treasure hunt for no real reason.

It's silly really to expect things to make any real sense from here on out given the two decades that have passed us by.
Who knows if there really was an epic planned to the last detail 16 chapters or that was just good PR back in the day to hype folks up and keep pumping out sequels. ;)

I dont recall that but it reminds me of when she spooked Ren in the Niaowu hotel

This is the scene I`m referring to with the appropriate time-code embedded:

I didn`t really understand why the scene with Shenhua and Ryo interrogating the thug at hermits nest was like it was. I`m not sure if I missed something but this is how I saw it:

I think the way the scene was handled was by far the worst scene in the game and nearly killed Shenhua as a character for me. It doesn`t help that she is nothing but a side character in Niaowu shortly afterwards.

Back to the original subject though:

I think the way Shenhua is portrait in Shenmue 2 is that she is kind hearted, kinda naive at times but also very determined and strong at others. I also think that the way she used her power on the flower pedals to make them float was like it is normal and not out of the ordinary to her. It showed that she doesn`t seem to be fully aware of her special powers. This is also manifested in Shenmue 3 when she tells Ryo about her talking to or understanding animals.

Now this scene has three things that potentially rub me the wrong way when it comes to her using her "power":

1. If she physically harms the thug, it would be very hypercritical, because she literally and multiple times stops Ryo from doing so and all Ryo does is threaten him. It isn`t even said that he would go through with it and hurt him. This would mean she prevents him from potentially doing something, assuming she finds it unethical, but just a few moments later does it herself. Very hypocritical! But unlikely I`d say.

2. If she uses some sort of psychic power on him it would be weird because it would tell us that she is more aware of them then she kinda made Ryo think, which would be calculated and deceiving. The hypocritical part mentioned above would carry over because the result is the same. The guy was trembling because of what she did to him. So this option is even worse. Weirdly she didn`t want them to see it, too. Like she was hiding it, which as mentioned above she didn`t do before.

3. The third option is that it was just a anime-esque comedic scene. In that case it was just very, very, very poorly directed, especially because of the close up on her eye with that menacing music and the reaction of the thug, who was very distraught! Though the conversation of the thug, Ryo and Shenhua after it happened makes this a real possibility because it sounded like they were joking about it after a few seconds even though she threatened him again...

So either way I hate this scene and it just shows facets of a characters that go very contrary to a girl that jumped into a muddy river to save a goat!

Did I miss something or what happened in that scene?! Did something awake in her for a moment because she was frightened for what could happen to her father. If that is the case it didn`t seem to be a temporary state, nor was it very sudden.

4. She has a special herb she concocted through help from Elder Yeh that is so strong and pungit even at a slight sniff at close range causes convulsions. This solves the problem of her doing point #1 and being hypocritical since she never would physically touch him, and also avoids point #2 because its not a psycho power and point #3 because its no longer a cheesy anime cliche scene.

Your welcome :giggle:

Yes, I was kind of weirded out by the way she said "Ding, ding, ding! Someone wants round 2!". Even if it was just a manga trope, the entire scene felt so unfitting to Shenhua as a character and so not in line with what kind of personality she had always been portaied to be.

I guess it's just one of the many, many inconsistencies in S3. This game could have used a "lore expert" to avoid all the plot holes and inconsistencies but I think Yu just completely changed Shenhua as a character and probably wanted to indicate that by changing her clothes too.

That also looked weird to me, but what probably got me most is how it is presented in the game, like when Shenhua
says - "Could you all wait outside...". And everyone is just ok with that, nothing strange about her wanting to be alone with a thug. And no explanation afterwards, and while Ryo does look surprised, he does not seem interested enough to find out what happened? Everything normal, nothing out of ordinary, I guess we will find out more withing the next game, but at the moment it really felt weird that nobody cared about it? And there are also similar moments later in the game when characters just accepts that everything is fine nothing wrong with that..

My best guess to explain what happened would be that
because she was frightened for what could happen to her father
She entered some kind of trance, possession mode. and used her psychic powers on the thug, I doubt that physical force were used. That would also explain that "Ding,ding, ding" thing, that she weren't real her at the moment.

I actually loved this scene. It was clearly left ambiguous and hinting to more of her abilities. I have no issues with it at all. Not everything has to be answered immediately and I don’t think Yu has changed her character, rather expanded on it.
This. I don't understand why anyone would have issue with this scene, it was by far one of the most interesting plot developments/teases (and its implied that she does something similar to Ren later)

I actually loved this scene. It was clearly left ambiguous and hinting to more of her abilities. I have no issues with it at all. Not everything has to be answered immediately and I don’t think Yu has changed her character, rather expanded on it.
This. I don't understand why anyone would have issue with this scene, it was by far one of the most interesting plot developments/teases (and its implied that she does something similar to Ren later)

Hmm, even if you don`t agree with it why wouldn`t you be able to understand it?! I think I made it pretty clear why I felt uneasy watching this scene. I guess if the purpose of the scene was to make me wary about Shenhuas capabilities and intentions they did succeed in that but honestly that`s not how I saw her but maybe that is the twist in her ark...

The funny things is, that they want me to believe that she considers it to be normal that she can make flower pedals float and talk to animals but doing something to someone mentally is something she intentionally hided in that scene and therefore knows is not ordinary? Nah... thats hypocritical, just like her telling Ryo not to torture the thug but then she does it herself.

As I said I hope there is more to it but as it stands this scene makes her unlikeable!

My best guess to explain what happened would be that She entered some kind of trance, possession mode. and used her psychic powers on the thug, I doubt that physical force were used. That would also explain that "Ding,ding, ding" thing, that she weren't real her at the moment.

Honestly I think you're giving credit where none is due.

You have no issue with the fact that the Shenhua we met in Shenmue II, one of the most thoroughly fleshed-out characters in the game, whose innocently naive and caring nature is woven as fundamental to the character, whose (thousands of) lines of dialogue each carefully serve to craft that personality, would suddenly utter a phrase like "Ding ding diiing! Does somebody want Round 2?!" Really?

Of course Shenmue III is its own beast and there will be changes, but the test for good continuity is whether you can at least imagine the character in Shenmue II ever saying it. Personally I can't.

Last edited:
Hmm, even if you don`t agree with it why wouldn`t you be able to understand it?! I think I made it pretty clear why I felt uneasy watching this scene. I guess if the purpose of the scene was to make me wary about Shenhuas capabilities and intentions they did succeed in that but honestly that`s not how I saw her but maybe that is the twist in her ark...

The funny things is, that they want me to believe that she considers it to be normal that she can make flower pedals float and talk to animals but doing something to someone mentally is something she intentionally hided in that scene and therefore knows is not ordinary? Nah... thats hypocritical, just like her telling Ryo not to torture the thug but then she does it herself.

As I said I hope there is more to it but as it stands this scene makes her unlikeable!

Yeah, that’s fair enough. I can certainly understand where you’re coming from despite most definitely not agreeing with the point you’re making. But I guess I should have worded it differently.

I managed to find it.

Huh. Interesting. I chose the answer that ended up with Ryo getting pissy so I did not see this.

But, with some of the general sloppiness with translation/how conversations play out on screen, it is hard to tell if she really said that one line in her head. Ryo's reaction was pretty interesting!

Back