What's the relevance of the plane flying overhead in Shenmue 2?

I think it's in Wan Chai, in Shenmue 2, you may recall a scene (that repeats) where Ryo stops and looks up at an airplane flying over head. What's the relevance of it? Why was it made into a cutscene that wants to bring your attention to it?

I've never seen the fighter jets before.

KWC was VERY close to Kowloon airport, so I guess it was just an Easter Egg-type thing, as Yu Suzuki puts a ton of those in his games.

Never remembered it being so low. I thought I thought it was a call back to Shenmue 1 where there is Tom's (supposedly) plane flying overhead. If that actually happened and I am not just getting confused.

This is in Wan Chai, not Kowloon.

It doesn't matter... Kowloon, Wan Chai... It's still HK, and the real distance between the two locations is likely less than 10 km. Anyway, the probable relevance is to remind us that we are in HK of the 80's in the game setting, where planes flying low around the city were a common sight at the time before the airport was moved over to a less populated island.

Every play through I know it's always coming, isn't it always the first time you walk up them steps in the day?

I like it, adds even more like bigger world emphasis to the game.

Every play through I know it's always coming, isn't it always the first time you walk up them steps in the day?

I like it, adds even more like bigger world emphasis to the game.

My last few playthroughs, I haven't caught it for some reason. I used to get the first one a lot as a kid, never got the second one.

It doesn't matter... Kowloon, Wan Chai... It's still HK, and the real distance between the two locations is likely less than 10 km. Anyway, the probable relevance is to remind us that we are in HK of the 80's in the game setting, where planes flying low around the city were a common sight at the time before the airport was moved over to a less populated island.

I somehow thought they were a long way from each other.

Which brings up another point, Billy; yeah it's just a school bus, but I always got the idea that he was going on some grandiose journey to KWC, when in reality it was like 9 KM lol (I used to walk that to work every day, in an hour and 45 minutes).

Which brings up another point, Billy; yeah it's just a school bus, but I always got the idea that he was going on some grandiose journey to KWC, when in reality it was like 9 KM lol (I used to walk that to work every day, in an hour and 45 minutes).

Certainly. Shenmue's Hong Kong almost doens't resemble the real one at all actually, starting by the npcs' choice of sporting traditional clothing which to me would be more like WW2 period or China's mainland remote areas. But yeah Kowloon Walled City became a mystified lawless region of sorts in Shenmue when in reality it was simply an overcrowded poor neighborhood. I don't think they would even have been able to build elevators in those buildings, as many of them didn't even had running water. Not like they even had enough space to spare. If you watch 80's action movies like Police Story or Bloodsport which even features KWC in some scenes I think, that would be what HK would look like at the time.

Police Story I've been meaning to get for a while (don't care for Bloodsport lol, but yes, I know for sure it was filmed in ACTUAL KWC).

And you're right, as Wan Chai isn't separated into quarters, Scarlet Hills doesn't exist and Man Mo Temple is at street level.

Going to the running water thing, I agree with that; all the randomly-generated rooms are all devoid of toilets lol.

My first reaction was homage to Tom, while also being a moment of: DAMNIT I REALLY WANTED TO HAVE MONEY FOR PLANE TICKET IN DOBUITA.

You see the plane anytime you're walking up the steps, but not down. Day or time doesn't matter. Turns into 3 fighter jets on last day (along with another specific circumstance? Cannot recall at the moment, for sure on last day before Kowloon, though).

My first reaction was homage to Tom, while also being a moment of: DAMNIT I REALLY WANTED TO HAVE MONEY FOR PLANE TICKET IN DOBUITA.

You see the plane anytime you're walking up the steps, but not down. Day or time doesn't matter. Turns into 3 fighter jets on last day (along with another specific circumstance? Cannot recall at the moment, for sure on last day before Kowloon, though).

One of the videos in the reply showed him walking down the stairs though.

This one:

Interesting, stand corrected about needed to only ever walk and now thinking, I have gotten the scene while goling down the steps--my bad.

Perhaps the player was on the very first day/pass through those stairs? I've never once gotten the plane flyover while running.

Interesting, stand corrected about needed to only ever walk and now thinking, I have gotten the scene while goling down the steps--my bad.

Perhaps the player was on the very first day/pass through those stairs? I've never once gotten the plane flyover while running.

I haven't got it in a long while, at least the last 5 playthroughs. I do take that route though.

I run everywhere in all the games and I get the plane scenes frequently (though I've only gotten the fighters, once).

Back