Why are there so few Graphic/Texture Mods for Shenmue 1&2?

You know, I suck because I don't know anything about modding games on PC.

Before the release of the HD remasters I imagined that there will be a shitload of different mods for our favourite game, especially since the fans are so passionate about this game.

Checking every now and then the Nexus Mods Page I see there is the same amount of mods or older mods are sadly not updated.

Am I missing out on something?

Call me an idiot but I'm craving for really good texture mods. :D

Yeah, it's a shame. All the talk on the internet about AI Neural Networking been used to upscale textures in games sounds really exciting and would be nice to see it in Shenmue and even a fellow member was working on one but it seems the project is sadly inactive. http://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/in...s-there-an-easier-way-of-extracting-them.931/

I hope he can manage to figure it out, if i was more tech savvy i would take a crack at it but i only managed to do Ryo's Jacket and jeans, doing the entire game seems really daunting.

Not enough fans with the talent and time, really... This stuff isn't easy to do and Shenmue fans are in their 30s raising kids and shit lol

I know that. But I thought when there are mods like character swap and so on for the dreamcast version which I imagine is harder to do I thought replacing and building sone Texturen would be less time consuming

Personally, it's hard for me due to the texture warping. If I had a tool to unwarp the textures, I could much easier do some mods. Otherwise what I want to do comes with too many artifacts to look good.

Hi! I have been retexturing the game for 4 months at a steady pace. At this moment I have retextured a lot of flora textures and some grounds and walls here and there. First of all, I will upload the Natura Overhaul pack when finished, and after that, if I have time I will complete the retexture of the hazuki garden, the exteriors...

Here are some videos. I hope you like it. It is a work in progress:

There are more information about progress updates or how to support the project here in my blog: https://shenmuehdretextured.wordpress.com/

I am using Kaldien's 'Special K' Mod to inject the new textures into the game. The only problem with this injector is that sometimes some textures are black or missplaced and you have to exit and reenter the area in order to load the textures correctly. I don't know why it happens. At least, it is an issue which doesn't happen very often.

20190131144745_1.jpg

20190131144918_1.jpg

20190131150218_1.jpg

Hi! I have been retexturing the game for 4 months at a steady pace. At this moment I have retextured a lot of flora textures and some grounds and walls here and there. First of all, I will upload the Natura Overhaul pack when finished, and after that, if I have time I will complete the retexture of the hazuki garden, the exteriors...

There are more information about progress updates or how to support the project here in my blog: https://shenmuehdretextured.wordpress.com/

I am using Kaldien's 'Special K' Mod to inject the new textures into the game. The only problem with this injector is that sometimes some textures are black or missplaced and you have to exit and reenter the area in order to load the textures correctly. I don't know why it happens. At least, it is an issue which doesn't happen very often.

View attachment 2165

View attachment 2166

View attachment 2167
WOW dude that looks totally awesome! The trees with the illusion of volumetric snow on them really got me.

Please keep up the good work!

I would totally buy you a coffee fpr that.

PS any plans for shenmue 2?

WOW dude that looks totally awesome! The trees with the illusion of volumetric snow on them really got me.

Please keep up the good work!

I would totally buy you a coffee fpr that.

PS any plans for shenmue 2?
Yes, if someday I finish retexturing the first game, my intention is to retexture Shenmue II too.
Thanks a lot for your encourgament! :D

Last edited:

View attachment 2165

View attachment 2166

View attachment 2167
Amazing! This is on par with like that Resident Evil 4 HD Texture project. I love how you manage to keep the same essence and aesthetic of the original so well. Keep up the great work!

I actually had planned on putting some time toward re-doing the signage and whatnot from the first game-- I do stuff like that all day long so it wouldn't be hard for me to re-create the various signs and logos in Dobuita. The problem is, I don't really know where to begin and if I did do it, I wouldn't know where to go from there.

If there was some sort of "manager" for a project like this who could hand out assets to recreate, I'd be able to do some cool stuff, I think.

@Streamer I wanna echo more praise and encouragement! Definitely keep going, please! Looks wonderful; cannot wait to see more in the future! Combined with @Hazuki_san texture work, once you're finished, there should be a collaborative effort to integrate both into one for an absolute ultimate Shenmue I+II graphical upgrade...!!

I would imagine it's a mix between not enough people willing to make the mods and also people not knowing the correct way to do texture replacements. SpecialK is evil - it is good for small, things, but it is simply not acceptable to upload a texture mod using SpecialK.

Why are there so few GOOD texture mods for ANY game? The best texture mod I've seen so far is the RE4 HD Project, it's target to reproduce exactly the same mood of the original game, they found the source location of many textures and it's looking amazing so far. Most texture mods, like the ones in GTA community, are just bad.

Why are there so few GOOD texture mods for ANY game? The best texture mod I've seen so far is the RE4 HD Project, it's target to reproduce exactly the same mood of the original game, they found the source location of many textures and it's looking amazing so far. Most texture mods, like the ones in GTA community, are just bad.
Maybe you're just playing the wrong games lol. I know about a lot of Texture Mods (a lot of them also for console games) that are faithful to the original and enhance the graphics significantly.

Back