Why Do We Love Shenmue So Much?

There’s so many aspects of the original games that made me fall in love with Shenmue. The sense of immersion, graphic fidelity at the time, soundtrack, martial arts focus and the list goes on.

If I could boil it down to one element, it’s sense of authenticity. Everything from the the world, environments, characters and all the dialogue options available.

What about part 2? Huh?

Well, for me, it was several reasons. Not only it was the first game of its kind that immersed you more than anything out there at the moment but also because it taught you things:

The Japan of the era, how people act, its environments, martial arts, principles, a way of life. Not not mention that Shenmue 1 is partially responsible for me learning English.

it made me even more interested in Japanese and asian culture in general. It created a need for wanderlust, even.

So yeah, it was a life changing game for me.

Last edited:
Shenmue hit me @ a moment in my life when I was seeking an elevated gaming experience. An interactive piece of fine art. Where the medium boldly imitates the pacing of real life. Long story short...when I was done with the games and was immensely satisfied in that premise being delivered, that was the beginning of an obsession to see this unprecedented immersive saga through to the end.

It was my first exposure to the Dreamcast at its core (2006); the only other games I had on the console at the time, were ports/prequels/sequels of other titles; 'mue was the first wholly DC property I owned and it really showed to me what the console is capable of.

Was also the last game my sister read the guide to me, when I was stuck (our computer used to be near the consoles). She then got her own laptop and stayed cooped up in her room, soon after. That made me sad because we grew up playing games together :(.

Discovered the Dojo soon after and seeing everyone's massive hype and love for the series, I got really into it as well!

Then, I got II, 2 (almost 3) years after and that was it; not only was I immersed to death at this point, but the perfection of the game... it is still the greatest videogame I have ever played and no game that has been released since (or prior), reached the pinnacle of gaming that 'mue II has.

Its lore and backstory as well? Just phenomenal and so... different than any other game, it is truly a unique experience and setting (as we all know).

Lastly, Sega, until I met my wife, was the biggest thing in my life (outside of family) and to this day, is still a driving force behind a lot of what I do; I learned so many valuable life lessons, business decisions (and mistakes), happy experiences (and frustrating:mad:) and so much more, from the Sega world and Shenmue was at the forefront of that.

THAT is why I love Shenmue <3. AND 'mue II is my favourite Sega game ever, 3rd favourite game ever period (2nd console game).

Also, as mentioned 50,000 times, the biggest tattoo on my Sega Leg Tattoo, is Ryo with the Phoenix Mirror behind him and I have the Ruber (from Space Harrier, modeled after the Gashapon version in 'mue) as well, since it is the capsule toy I've gotten the most ever in the first game lol

What I love about shenmue is the asian and martial art background, the scale and depth from micro to macro, the big jump in technology coming from the 32bits era.

Some tell me it’s Nostalgia. But to them I say, it’s more than just that.

For instance, I used to love GTA 3 but If I try to play it nowadays? I find myself turning it off before I even get to the second island because the game controls like shit and (quite frankly) looks like shit.

And yet with Shenmue I’ve gone back to it at least three or four times in the past two years alone and seen it all the way through. So I don’t think it’s just “nostalgia“ goggles like some try to tell me it is.

I’ve noticed that I’m actually a sucker for low key vibes. I absolutely adore Persona 4. To the point where I prefer 4 over 5. I have played through that game no less than 5 times and that’s no easy feat considering that game is 100 hours or so to beat. What I love about P4 is its setting. I love the low key vibes of Inaba. I love the day to day schedule. I love amongst this crazy story line of people going into other worlds through the TV and serial killings, it’s all rooted in a low key small township with a tight emphasis on community and building up relationships.

Then I was thinking about Yakuza 3 the other day and how much I love the low key vibes of Okinawa at the beginning of that game and how I could handle the game spending more time there because I love the simple rural charm of it.

And that‘s when it hit me, I think that’s partially why I love Shenmue and can find myself going back to it.

Judging by all of this, I love games that put an emphasis on the quieter more mundane aspects of life (for one thing) and maybe Shenmue was the root of that. Since Shenmue was the original “live in this quiet Japanese suburb” game that I ever played. I love open worlds that put an emphasis on being smaller in scope but more densely packed in detail. See why I love Kamurocho as well.

Shenmue’s environments have a ton of personality, They’re fun to explore and live in (to me). Even Shenmue II, which expands the scope quite drastically, still manages to retain a certain amount of wonder in simply just exploring the environment. I like the painstaking detail that they went to in order to create such detail.

But more than just that, I love the strong focus it has on martial arts philosophy. The philosophy of the WUDE stuck with me as a kid.

I also just love the epic nature of the journey. You start off in the quiet sleepy suburbs where everyone knows your name. Then whisked to the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong where you are now on your own in a world that is dangerous. You then travel to the lawless walled in city. Before finding yourself in the beauty of rural China.

It’s a real journey that perfectly compliments its epic ambitions.

It’s hard to say but there are many things that have always clicked for me with the game. I love role playing as Ryo and most importantly, I’m all the way invested in his story and need to see it through. It stuck with me throughout all these years. Even as gaming progressed forward, Shenmue stuck with me.

Last edited:
Beautifully-written!

Have to say (as everyone knows), Yakuza 3 is my favourite in the series by far and a great part of that is indeed, Okinawa.

When I went to Japan, if I didn't play 3 ever, I never would've gone to Okinawa; it ended up being my wife's favourite part of the trip and we had an absolutely amazing time, with the most stories to tell out of our entire trip!

I was a 9 year old that wanted a Dreamcast, my parents got it for me and it was a real happy memory. Within a year they ended up divorcing, I was living with my mom and ended up really throwing myself into video games which were only a small hobby before. My friend at the time who was a real big game connoisseur, recommend I borrow his copy of Shenmue. I was really into anime and East Asia culture at the time and had no idea what to expect with Shenmue so once I started it I was blown away, it was the first open world game and the use of time really made it unique. Fast forward to us completing Shenmue 2 and I would pour over the original Shenmue Dojo website looking at any hint of Shenmue 3, like the unused village files in Shenmue 2 days or the renders of Niao Sun and the Chi You Men concept art. I also lurked the boards here for years especially around E3 every year, hoping this would be the year and sadly seeing the community dwindle year after year.
Sorry, this has gone off on one big tangent but I look at Shenmue as this amazing game that I played during a real sad time during my childhood, it’s thanks to this game that I still maintain a friendship with the friend that let me borrow it, even though we haven’t seen each other in 18 years and live over 5000 miles away from each other. My love for this game and the fan base runs very deep.

1574518378539.gif

Back