Why does Lan-Di want Zhu Yuanda

After replaying Shenmue 2 for the first time in about ten years something occurred to me. Why does Lan-Di want Zhu Yuanda? Does Lan-Di believe Zhu has the phoenix mirror? Does he want information about the mirror's secrets? Does he want tips on how to grow a beard? Does the game do a bad job explaining this or did i miss something? Any and all replies are appreciated.

After replaying Shenmue 2 for the first time in about ten years something occurred to me. Why does Lan-Di want Zhu Yuanda? Does Lan-Di believe Zhu has the phoenix mirror? Does he want information about the mirror's secrets? Does he want tips on how to grow a beard? Does the game do a bad job explaining this or did i miss something? Any and all replies are appreciated.
Lan Di learns that Zhu helped Iwao to bring the Dragon mirror back to Japan and assumed that he must have information regarding the Phoenix mirror as well. We never really learn this directly in the game due to us only seeing the story through Ryo’s perspective, but…
…the anime has a scene that shows Lan Di learning about Zhu’s involvement while interrogating an unknown man in Japan.

Like you suggested, so he can deal his brand of justice for Zhu helping Iwao smuggle the mirrors and in case he has the phoenix mirror.

I think there may be more to the story however. There's a popular theory Zhu and Tentei, (the true leader of the CYM) are the same person, acting as two personas like Palpatine and Sidious, and he's manipulating, stirring shit.

It could fill in a lot of gaps, explain who introduced Lan Di into the CYM, Sumning's ''best friend'' may have been watching him after he was orphaned, and it explains some holes like why Lan Di believed Iwao only had 1 mirror and why Zhu's letter happened to be late. Someone playing both Ryo and Lan Di could be an interesting twist.

I do think the game does a bad job of explaining this, they never make clear why Lan Di is so certain Iwao only has one mirror or specifically why Zhu is a target for him. Chai said Lan Di hates Zhu Yuanda, so there's some history there I guess, the main reason could be as simple as Lan Di thinks Zhu knows the way to the Phoenix Mirror - but why does Lan Di give Zhu up so easily, and how does Lan Di know he needs to head to Bailu Village next/how does Zhu know Lan Di is heading there since Ryo saved Zhu presumably before Lan Di could question him?

I had always theorized that Zhu was interrogated by Lan Di (or more likely Chiyoumen/Yellowhead henchmen) and some basic info was extracted, but they still planned on kidnapping him.

Back