Why so quiet

The news on shenmue has really quietened down as has this whole forum

Why do I only hear mainly negative things. It all seems to be since the trolls on shenmue 3 brought a horrible feeling around the game just due a deal with Epic and everyone has fed off that

I can't wait for Shenmue 4, who is with me and what is the thing we are most looking forward to on it?

I am also loooking forward to it in case i tis happening. The negative trolls in the internet do not bother me at all. I prefer to ingore the gaming internet anyway as much as possible. Too much negativity out there without any substantial information worth bothering.

I am not int he position to speak for the whole community but I think that the hardcore Shenmue fans are still behind the franchise and are waiting paitently for Sh4 and the negativity of the main stream has no effect at all.

In fact Shenmue is in a better situation than it was for many dacades. Sure Shenmue 3 did not turned out as the mainstreams darling but that was expected. Shenmue is not for everbody and that is ok.

The franchise is not dead yet anyway. 'We got the remaster and we got 3 and we are goin to get the Anime. The Anime is the best sign that there might be hope for Shenmue.

The industry is not driven by pasion it is mainly driven by profit. It is a really good sign that same big wigs at a anime company think that they can earn money with Shenmue. As long as Shenmue is the public mind then there is chance.

Thanks 9dragons, when is the anime coming out. That has gone a little quiet...
Not this year and it was confirmed (I'll find the tweet later) that Covid has impacted it and they're not crunching to finish it.

yes we have no release date yet, but if I had to guess i would also say at some point in 2022.

The main piece of hope I cling onto, was how demoralising and downright embarrassing comments were made web wide by so called "fans", berating Shenmue III all the way through its entire development phase. How it looked, how it functioned etc, when all they were doing was fulfilling their Kickstarter commitment of keeping backers up to date with how the game was progressing.

I wouldn't blame YSNET one bit if they didn't show off a damn thing from Shenmue IV out of spite. Not one screenshot, until its polished and ready.

I wouldn't blame YSNET one bit if they didn't show off a damn thing from Shenmue IV out of spite. Not one screenshot, until its polished and ready.
I really hope this is the approach they take. Sure, it would be nice to know that the series isn’t dead in the water, but I’d get over my anxiety the moment I saw that badass Shenmue 4 trailer and the words “coming in X months.”

The main piece of hope I cling onto, was how demoralising and downright embarrassing comments were made web wide by so called "fans", berating Shenmue III all the way through its entire development phase. How it looked, how it functioned etc, when all they were doing was fulfilling their Kickstarter commitment of keeping backers up to date with how the game was progressing.

Basically this. I sincerely hope that YsNet never need to return to the crowdfunding space again, because anybody that followed that ride from start to finish knows how unpleasant and toxic it quickly got. Before the EGS debacle, before the 2017 Gamescom trailer, there was already a really nasty vibe coming from the intense amount of scrutiny by the media, and the character of the Kickstarter comments.

I doubt it's specific to Shenmue, but having seen similar comments appearing over on the Kickstarter page of the Gamer's Journey documentary regarding their understandable production delays, crowdfunding should be an option of absolute last resort; unless you want to be exposed to people who think a donation (which is what a KS pledge is) buys them a licence to verbally abuse you or colleagues if a product takes too long to release, or if they don't like the communications strategy.

Presuming it's in development, and they don't want to show screens.. a teaser trailer could be cool, showing concept art of the cliff temple, artifacts of the old dynasties, and some egimactic dialogue about the Chi You Men war.

I'd honestly be content with "Shenmue 4 is happening, there's nothing to show you yet, but it's coming", like many other projects do (Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, that new Elder Scrolls game etc). I know it has proven controversial in the past with other franchises, and I would agree in most cases it's just silly, sets themselves up for failure and is clearly just a gimmick in a race to try to "win" E3 or gain positive media attention.

In Shenmue's case, it would simply put my mind at ease. Otherwise though, I agree with others, I can do without the janky, clearly early development footage and amateur screenshots, because the "haters" and toxic fans would act like a ravenous pack of hyenas and tear it all apart, because they don't understand how most AAA studios spend ages creating unrealistic vertical slices of footage for trailers that cost huge amounts of cash.

I would not worry too much about the Epic Controversy. If there is one thing this fanbase has taught me it is resiliency. As long as that resiliency is maintained, we will get Shenmue IV. Remember, before 2015 fans had to feast on scraps and false hopes to get on by.

Now, we are doing better than ever as I never thought we would get Shenmue III, a Shenmue Chapter One: Yokosuka and Shenmue II high-definition remaster, a wealth of new merchandise, and an anime of all things and the merchandise that will proceed it. All this is because fans never gave up to do something that is the equivalent of a miracle in the business world. So, yes, I am with you and loyal to this franchise to the end. I may criticize it at times, but I love it nonetheless.

The news on shenmue has really quietened down as has this whole forum

Why do I only hear mainly negative things. It all seems to be since the trolls on shenmue 3 brought a horrible feeling around the game just due a deal with Epic and everyone has fed off that

I can't wait for Shenmue 4, who is with me and what is the thing we are most looking forward to on it?
I'm with you mate!!! Only just finished Shenmue III (Mac user with no PS3 so purchased VM software and a Windows license specially for it). I was expecting it to be lacklustre based on the messaging around the web.

What a surprise!!!! I thought it was a wonderful game and am now looking forward to its continuation. Hopefully now they have the tech foundations in place, the next version will be a lot smoother to code up.

Not sure why people have bashed it (and also Shenmue I with all the sailor memes and stuff TBH). My only explanation is that we all experience things differently. I'm glad that I'm able to connect with this series on a deep level.

The success of the S3 Kickstarter was definitely a blessing and a curse. The sheer amount of backers meant the vocal minority really had the opportunity to be heard, and it didn't help that a huge amount of backers had probably never played a Shenmue game before and ultimately had no skin in the game.

However, if they had a more modest campaign -- say they only made 3 mil -- it sounds like we would've ended up with Shenmue III: A Telltale Game, which would've been a disappointment on an astronomical level.

The success of the S3 Kickstarter was definitely a blessing and a curse. The sheer amount of backers meant the vocal minority really had the opportunity to be heard, and it didn't help that a huge amount of backers had probably never played a Shenmue game before and ultimately had no skin in the game.

However, if they had a more modest campaign -- say they only made 3 mil -- it sounds like we would've ended up with Shenmue III: A Telltale Game, which would've been a disappointment on an astronomical level.
Well said! Yeah I'm just glad that I've been able to enjoy the product that we got.

IMO having the Unreal 4 engine (with the graphics, performance and game size that we got) is impressive. I vividly remember being shocked by the size and beauty of Niaowu. It's clear that a lot of love and research went into it...

We also have to consider that Yu-San had not made modern game for many years before Shenmue 3. Considering that the quality of Shenmue 3 is still amazing. Yu also made the game feel and play like Shenmue. Another amazing feat after almost 20 years if you ask me.

I am glad that there was a kickstarter campaign although the campaign might have some negative consequences for the future of the franchise in the long run.

Shenmue got the publicity due to the campaign and the hype of the campaign generated many extra cash without any doubt. But the problem is that many of the funders were not real Shenmue fans. Just same folks that were carried away by the hype. The internet generation can be carried away way too easy because they believe everything they read or hear in the internet.

In the short run that was great for Shenmue but such hype without any real substance can change completly and the whole outlook of the project is just negative.

Look at the Abandomed stuff. Many people lost their sh****t when they thought Kojima was to hoax them again with a marketing campaign that does not made any sense at all. Now Blu Box games gets death threads. It just plain stupid.

For the long run the Shenmue series needs a more classic way of generating funds that is a bit more reliable.

I personally would fund S4, 5 and even 6 again if I could but many people outside the hardcore fanbase won't do that again I presume.

So the change to getting enough cash with kickstarter to fund the game are slim to say at least.

Last edited:
We also have to consider that Yu-San had not made modern game for many years before Shenmue 3. Considering that the quality of Shenmue 3 is still amazing. Yu also made the game feel and play like Shenmue. Another amazing feat after almost 20 years if you ask me.

I am glad that there was a kickstarter campaign although the campaign might have some negative consequences for the future of the franchise in the long run.

Shenmue got the publicity due to the campaign and the hype of the campaign generated many extra cash without any doubt. But the problem is that many of the funders were not real Shenmue fans. Just same folks that were carried away by the hype. The internet generation can be carried away way too easy because they believe everything they read or hear in the internet.

In the short run that was great for Shenmue but such hype without any real substance can change completly and the whole outlook of the project is just negative.

Look at the Abandomed stuff. Many people lost their sh****t when they thought Kojima was to hoax them again with a marketing campaign that does not made any sense at all. Now Blu Box games gets death threads. It just plain stupid.

For the long run the Shenmue series needs a more classic way of generating funds that is a bit more reliable.

I personally would fund S4, 5 and even 6 again if I could but many people outside the hardcore fanbase won't do that again I presume.

So the change to getting enough cash with kickstarter to fund the game are slim to say at least.
To be honest I think Shenmue 3 was just a middling but charming game, I'm glad it was made but it doesn't live up to 2 for a variety of reasons. After all the E3 hype with the kickstarter, a lot of nasty, vinvictive people were waiting to jump in and tell everyone how terrible it and how they were suckers for falling for the hype. The kickstarter was a bit clumsy, but it was never just about that. Then you get a game that has good and bad aspect, 67 on meta critic sounds about right, but I guess you can't have "ok" games in the dramactic game culture.

Back