widescreen mod shenmue 1 and 2 steam deck

hi all, anyone know how i would mod shenmue hd with the widescreen patches? steam deck is linux so not sure how it would work

thanks

I can't really say either because I don't have one, but the patch itself works in the same way; meaning that the game is still a Windows binary running over Proton as a Windows-Linux bridge. Since I don't own or know the inner workings of the Steam Deck, I'm guessing this:
  1. Get access to Steam Deck filesystem in a way that allows you to browse the install folders of your games;
  2. Locate the game executable and copy it over to a PC to patch using available patchers, or if you already have that game installed on PC and patched, copy the patched executable(s) over to your Steam Deck;
  3. Replace Shenmue.exe and/or Shenmue2.exe in the Steam Deck install folder
Hope someone can be of more help here though.

EDIT:
Spoke to a friend who owns a Deck, here's his rundown on copy and overwrite the normal executable with the patched one:
Note: setting it to use Proton GE is a better option to avoid input errors

• Enable Desktop Mode on the Steam Deck
  • Open Steam from the Desktop
  • Right click Shenmue I & II > Properties
  • Local Files > Browse Local Files (this will open the installation folder)
You will see SM1 and SM2 folders and the EXEs are inside them, you can copy files through the USB-C port (with a hub or a pendrive), or via FTP. Alternatively, use an app named Warpinator (Linux) or Winpinator (Windows). Install Warpinator on the Deck and Winpinator on Windows (or Warpinator if your PC also has Linux); both Deck and PC must be on the same network (LAN) and boom you can easily share files by dragging and dropping the files on that app.

Last edited:
I can't really say either because I don't have one, but the patch itself works in the same way; meaning that the game is still a Windows binary running over Proton as a Windows-Linux bridge. Since I don't own or know the inner workings of the Steam Deck, I'm guessing this:
  1. Get access to Steam Deck filesystem in a way that allows you to browse the install folders of your games;
  2. Locate the game executable and copy it over to a PC to patch using available patchers, or if you already have that game installed on PC and patched, copy the patched executable(s) over to your Steam Deck;
  3. Replace Shenmue.exe and/or Shenmue2.exe in the Steam Deck install folder
Hope someone can be of more help here though.

EDIT:
Spoke to a friend who owns a Deck, here's his rundown on copy and overwrite the normal executable with the patched one:
awesome thanks! this worked

Back