Will Niao Sun cause "Gamers" outrage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
I know Yu's attention to detail and the "Sexy" archetype Niao Sun poses will be enhanced greatly by modern tech. If Suzuki trips over cultural landmines in today's gaming outrage trends will the fan base step up to defend Shenmue over it? If Yu incorporate some "jiggle" physics when fighting Niao sun for the sake of the art is that a No-no?

Some lose tie-in that got me thinking:
-DOA6 got one of their demo promo banned 4 trying to show realism? Didn't this game borrowed and incorporate virtua fighter DNA? At the same time evolving it in SEGA's place? Graphically and game play wise. I read there is sweat and lip balms details added to enhance the realism?

source:

-And then there was this on Sega's twitter? Someone got triggered seeing outrun's cover art.

outrun outrage.png

Knowing modern gaming journalism's bread and butter is selling controversy for the clicks, if this come to pass for S3...what are your thoughts/speculations?:unsure:

Bonus Q: How did Yakuza flew under the radar with its blantant raunchy contents but Outrun a game 30 yrs+ old caught some?:eek:o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Who really cares tbh?

Well, Even Cedric acknowledges the damage potential Press who wanna spin things had done to SIII before.

"
Clearing the air of the recent drama about Shenmue III’s funding, Biscay stated:

“It annoyed me because people forget that this game has never been able to be developed in the last 14 years, and so it’s clear that the Kickstarter campaign played a vital role in its funding. I think that the media’s desire to create buzz around this issue will strain our campaign by at least $2m. I don’t have any words for the minority of journalists who seem to sometimes forget their duty to provide information by writing about their interpretations rather than facts."

Source:

https://www.crowdfundinsider.com/20...mue-3-would-never-have-seen-the-light-of-day/

And SIII caught slack 4 it b4 with this article.

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/she...s-but-can-promise-cute-and-sexy-girls/0157757

Including various other hit-pieces nitpicking everything/anything in the past.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-shameful-media-coverage-of-shenmue-iii.1121020/

So I just wanna have a pre-emptive discussion about a very possible bad-light that could be cast on Shenmue 3 in the near future since we're close to release now?:unsure:

I’ve never seen any evidence of a sexy female character ever taking away from a video games sales. On the contrary, they seem to add to them. Plus controversy means more eyeballs on Shenmue III, which is a good thing, because it shows people that the game exists. I really don’t see it to be a problem.

As long as they pay attention to the people buying and playing the games and not clickbait bloggers then it'll all be fine. Nobody takes "journalists" seriously.

Of course it will, though to call it "gamers outrage" is a little misrepresentative. Bottom-feeding journalists and Twitter mobs, the latter of whom only became aware of the subject of the outrage on account of the former, spewing buzzwords and virtue signalling, on the other hand? Sure. They won't be able to see and appreciate Niao Sun's character traits beyond the beauty and boobs.

Hopefully Yu Suzuki will politely tell the crybabies to go fuck themselves and follow through with his original vision.

I mean... how prevalent will Niao Sun be in the marketing? I doubt anybody will actually notice if she's barely shown, and even then she's probably going to be an outlier compared to basically every other woman in the game. Shenhua is the game's heroine and she's dressed pretty conservatively.

Anyway, isn't the line of thinking generally that sexualisation is okay as long as it is properly embraced and isn't drastically over the top? I dunno, I have some level of faith for people to see Niao Sun as more than just eye candy. If Ys Net are able to properly realise the details we know about her character to make her a fully fleshed out (no pun intended) villain, then she's going to be more than just tits in a dress.

That MCVUK article was basically a character assassination piece on Yu in disguise though.

I mean... how prevalent will Niao Sun be in the marketing? I doubt anybody will actually notice if she's barely shown, and even then she's probably going to be an outlier compared to basically every other woman in the game. Shenhua is the game's heroine and she's dressed pretty conservatively.

Anyway, isn't the line of thinking generally that sexualisation is okay as long as it is properly embraced and isn't drastically over the top? I dunno, I have some level of faith for people to see Niao Sun as more than just eye candy. If Ys Net are able to properly realise the details we know about her character to make her a fully fleshed out (no pun intended) villain, then she's going to be more than just tits in a dress.

That MCVUK article was basically a character assassination piece on Yu in disguise though.
People (i.e., those who play the game) will see Niao Sun as more than just eye candy. The question is whether the usual suspects will do the same, as opposed to using her physical appearance as a point of contention in the 'gamers are sexist' charade. History suggests otherwise.

it doesnt matter nowadays, you will always trigger someone
because in the internet everyone is a expert for every topic and everyone has an opinion about everything.
the people on the negative side will always be the loudest.

look at the modern reviews for something like DOA 6 on Eurogamer,
the whole review is not about gameplay, mechanics, performance or whatever,
its all about "you cant do that today". every big website, reviewer, youtuber, whatever
wants to be your moral guideline and a lot of people just give them thumbs up
because they are looking up to them. they dont even notice that all of the big names
are just humans and its almost impossible to be right or wrong in a topic like DOA.
if you are okay with sexy video games, why should someone tell you that its not okay?
the funny thing is - a lot of these discussions are from people who dont even buy the product.
and they wouldnt buy it even if the company would change it for them.

in the past couple of months or years (since Twitter, FB, Instagram etc got really big)
this turned pretty much to some kind of moral war over everything
because everyone can shout out their opinion to the world.

just look at all the discussions about asian games that were censored for the west
because of fan service. all the twitter discussions are 50-50
"its a good thing they changed it because nobody should see that" vs
"why is someone telling me what i am allowed to see?"

so if there is any "erotic" or "sexy" content in S3, even if it is just a sexy walk
or a deep decollete, you can be sure that somewhere out there is a community
that is triggered how you could do something like that in 2019.

Tits seems to trigger quite a bit of outrage. It's mostly politically driven zealots and journalists trying to get some easy rageclicks.
Regular gamers don't care.
But sadly the minority does scream a lot and have a mob mentality.
I think that a lot of people are just getting tired of it and see the emperor has no clothes, Nagoshi recently grabbed the bull by the horns saying that Yakuza was a manly series and would not betray the fanbase trying to widen the target market (also says that girls play yakuza because guys today are beta lol).
I do worry about sony though, they seem to be now censoring content even more than Nintendo, but I don't think shenmue can fall into that territory.

WsFZ07Y.jpg

Tits seems to trigger quite a bit of outrage. It's mostly politically driven zealots and journalists trying to get some easy rageclicks.
Regular gamers don't care.
But sadly the minority does scream a lot and have a mob mentality.
I think that a lot of people are just getting tired of it and see the emperor has no clothes, Nagoshi recently grabbed the bull by the horns saying that Yakuza was a manly series and would not betray the fanbase trying to widen the target market (also says that girls play yakuza because guys today are beta lol).
I do worry about sony though, they seem to be now censoring content even more than Nintendo, but I don't think shenmue can fall into that territory.
Breasts are attractive to men - the bigger, the better - therefore, characters with big breasts are objectified for the pleasure of men. That is the mentality.

I do not understand why it is necessary to bring politics into gaming. And why the English speaking world is so fond of that nonsense. In the german speak world, or let's better say in Austria ( do not know what is going on in Germany) the old fight right vs left is fought as well but they politics fractions never mixed up reality with the entertainment. They are leaving games alone yet. But Americans wants to make everything a political statement. This just weird. I do not think that S3 will get touched by that that much. The Japanese Gaming industry is not brainwashed yet and they are not making their games to please some SJW.

Jesus Christ, this thread has gone off the rails into Kotaku In Action MRA territory.
Because tits ?
It is almost as if biology exists. Imagine that.
Biology evolved genders to maximize gene permutations, and that's a problem.
That's fine. But it seems like you're heading into an opposite direction of extremism and it's not really pretty.
Which extremism is that ? Not wanting a character that uses her sexuality as a weapon changed because she has tits ?

You're talking about genders and biology and all this other nonsense in a thread about sexualization. It's pretty ridiculous and shows how invested you are in it, characterizing yourself to be the opposite extreme of the very people you're complaining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back