Will Shenmue 3 have a Bad Ending For Failing To Complete It In Time?

Will Shenmue 3 have a Bad Ending?

• Yes.

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • No.

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
Simple question. Post your thoughts, vote in the poll!

As for me, I think that it will have a bad ending if you don't complete it in time or lose too many fights.

Probably...
Never got the bad endings in Shenmue... Only knew about them when I saw them at Youtube

I don't see why not. The first two games had bad endings for failing to complete the game before a certain date, so there is every chance this trend will continue.

I don't see why not. The first two games had bad endings for failing to complete the game before a certain date, so there is every chance this trend will continue.

Because it's more work on a limited crowdfunded budget whereas the first 2 games had the financial backing of SEGA and Yu Suzuki had the resources to include many secrets.

I expect Shenmue 3 to have much less rare scenes than the first 2.

Relative to contemporary AAA game development, as has been figured for years, the first two Shenmue are AA games. I feel like the kickstarter+Shibuya+Deep Silver are giving it quite the solid double-A funding and production (if not triple-A considering Yu said 10 million would be his ideal; later saying this was met after publishing deal. Witcher 3 was around that number for their budget, too--so who knows). Basically, I think we'll get just about as many secret scenes and bad ending because there really isn't much to worry about in terms of monetary constraints.

Need to shed the original 2015 mindset of thinking there's a bunch of cuts or alterations to make a solid Shenmue with only 2 or 6 million dollar. Simply isn't the case anymore.

Unless the budget is 60+ million, (including marketing) it's definitely not a AAA game. The WItcher 3 cost ~ $12 Million USD for development and $80 Million for total (development + marketing), which for a AAA game is on the incredibly low-end where as a lot of AAA games cost hundreds of millions to produce. That's not to mention that CDProjektRed had around 220 in house employees working on the game with an additional 1,500 other employees (contractors, free-lance etc) so probably a much bigger team than YSNet + Lakshya Digital for Shenmue 3.

I think if people are expecting a game as big as the first 2 then you're going to be sorely disappointed. That's not to say that it's not going to be an amazing game with a lot of cool stuff but I highly doubt it'll be as dense as a traditionally funded game.

Anyway, just to be clear I do expect some secrets, and a bad ending. I don't expect we'll be finding new things in the game for 15 years later as we had with the originals though.

The exact quote and the source eludes me right now (might have been either a MAGIC or Gamescom fan interview), but Yu sort of said there would be a bad ending available. The wording was along the lines of time sensitive events that can be failed and cause a bad end, so basically just running out of days like in the originals or perhaps something a bit more involved?

The exact quote and the source eludes me right now (might have been either a MAGIC or Gamescom fan interview), but Yu sort of said there would be a bad ending available. The wording was along the lines of time sensitive events that can be failed and cause a bad end, so basically just running out of days like in the originals or perhaps something a bit more involved?

I thought I read something like that but wasn't sure if I had imagined it. haha.

I thought I read something like that but wasn't sure if I had imagined it. haha.
Yeah. It's not exactly a recent quote, but it definitely was asked at some point in the last year/two years.

Whether Yu means it's exactly how bad endings were handled in the originals, or a totally new way is still up in the air though.

How would people feel about a bad end with more of an actual risk in getting it? We all know the way you get the bad ending in the original games is by cheesing them and skipping days at certain parts of the game story, because realistically it would be enormously rare to get in normal play.

I think it might be interesting if there was a bit more of a ticking clock element to Shenmue III that meant a bad end wasn't too far away from actually happening.

In spite of the smaller budget, I actually have the opposite expectation - that the game will be designed in such a way that there are more possibilities for different players to have different experiences (at least in matters that are secondary to the main plotline). Yu Suzuki has said that he's less interested in a geographically huge world and more interested in the depth of interactions with characters. So, in conjunction with the rapport system, I think players will be able to find their way to some rare conversations, for example.

Same.

Yu has said for a long time Shenmue III's focus was always to be on deepening the experience rather than expanding it as they did in II. Obviously budget considerations will factor in, but if deepening was their focus right from the start of development, I don't see how they won't have been able to achieve something that goes beyond what the originals did in some respects.

I think there's going to be a bad end when you run out of time, just out of necessity. It won't stay the 80's forever, and as ambitious as Shenmue has been as a series, I doubt they're going to simulate decades passing.

Unless the budget is 60+ million, (including marketing) it's definitely not a AAA game. The WItcher 3 cost ~ $12 Million USD for development and $80 Million for total (development + marketing), which for a AAA game is on the incredibly low-end where as a lot of AAA games cost hundreds of millions to produce. That's not to mention that CDProjektRed had around 220 in house employees working on the game with an additional 1,500 other employees (contractors, free-lance etc) so probably a much bigger team than YSNet + Lakshya Digital for Shenmue 3.

I think if people are expecting a game as big as the first 2 then you're going to be sorely disappointed. That's not to say that it's not going to be an amazing game with a lot of cool stuff but I highly doubt it'll be as dense as a traditionally funded game.

Anyway, just to be clear I do expect some secrets, and a bad ending. I don't expect we'll be finding new things in the game for 15 years later as we had with the originals though.

woah, i was way off, totally omitting mareketing...!

Anyway, I suppose my opinion still stands albeit digressed; I think Shenmue 2 a great, big game, but really could be done by Shenmue 3 with presumably ~10ish million budget total using an engine like unreal.

Last edited:
We will never know the total development and advertising budget for Shenmue 3 but, I would not be surprised if it is around $30 million or more. Sony has an interest in this being a hit.

We will never know the total development and advertising budget for Shenmue 3 but, I would not be surprised if it is around $30 million or more. Sony has an interest in this being a hit.
Sony's financial contribution to development is lower than Shibuya Productions'. (read the following two tweets in the thread too)

Sony may have more money to give in terms of boosting the marketing budget, but E3 2015 is probably the biggest thing they will have done for this game. Don't get me wrong, that reveal was very important to the success of the Kickstarter, but we always knew this project was something they kept at arm's length.

Your post might still be correct in the end, just with Deep Silver instead of Sony.

Because it's more work on a limited crowdfunded budget whereas the first 2 games had the financial backing of SEGA and Yu Suzuki had the resources to include many secrets.

It's one scene. The bad ending costs about a fiver to implement, and saves having to deal with what happens if the player decides to simply let time pass forever.

Of course Shenmue III will have a bad ending.

It's one scene. The bad ending costs about a fiver to implement, and saves having to deal with what happens if the player decides to simply let time pass forever.

Of course Shenmue III will have a bad ending.

I've stated several times there will be a bad ending. It's even in the OP.

Sony's financial contribution to development is lower than Shibuya Productions'. (read the following two tweets in the thread too)

Sony may have more money to give in terms of boosting the marketing budget, but E3 2015 is probably the biggest thing they will have done for this game. Don't get me wrong, that reveal was very important to the success of the Kickstarter, but we always knew this project was something they kept at arm's length.

Your post might still be correct in the end, just with Deep Silver instead of Sony.
I was under the impression they'd put out a short TV and Internet ad campaign. You're probably right about the marketing being the E3 announcement though, I was just a bit too naive, like usual.

Back