Worst condition or feeling of pain you've ever experienced?

Jigen

Man Mo Journeyman
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Persona 5
I know this seems like a weird question but I am kind of a morbidly curious person. The worst pain I ever felt was last year when I pinched my sciatic nerve. At first it wasn't so bad but suddenly it hurt to walk or stand after a few days, after a week or so it gets worse so I go to the doctor and prescribe sone heavy duty pain meds. Start taking the meds and feel better start walking around fine feel like I'm cured go off the pills for like 3 weeks. One day the pain comes back, start on the pills again they won't work pain progresses to where I am easily hitting a 10 on the pain scale daily pain so bad I am crying. Start seeing more doctors get introduced to a physical therapist after a week there doing the excercises pain suddenly goes away and hasn't returned since. I am terrified it might come back and sometimes feel a similar sensation although it never returns.

When I broke my ribs that was probably the worst pain I've ever been in and what made it worse was I couldn't breathe properly either. The next 4 weeks were great fun as moving hurt, sneezing hurt and eating hurt. I was glad when they finally healed.

Generally I find stomach aches to be the worst. Headaches and the odd ache here and there are bearable but when it comes to stomach aches, it just feels like the worst thing ever. The worst pain ever I have ever experienced actually has a bit of a funny story to it, though it may not be very classy for this forum so I apologise in advance if you find it a little sleazy.

I was probably around 20 at the time and a female friend of mine invited me over to her house to "check out" her new flat. I knew it was for more than that but even she knew that I would not travel to where she wanted me to go (South London which is an absolute ghetto area) so when I asked where the flat was, she responded that it was in a place that wasn't too far from where I worked. After work, I got on the train and 20 minutes later got off at the stop. She then told me to get on another train to another stop. Well, okay.....Then got off another stop where she told me to exit the station and....walk to another station where I was to get a train to the area. Long story short, she knew if she told me the location initially I would not go so got me there in increments, making me feel each stop was where I needed to be.

I got out the station and it's what I hate and fear the most. Hoodlums. This was just after the London riots and there were kids aimlessly riding their bikes in circles, graffiti everywhere, rubbish blowing around the streets and the odd chicken with a (I presume) hygiene rating below 4 stars. I made the journey so thought I might as well press on. Got to flat, started to chat then got to down to business. During the warm-up, with her hand she yanked my thing back way too hard and fast and I felt the most excruciating pain ever. I rolled over, falling off the bed, nearly in tears. She was screaming "oh my god, are you okay?" and I was just whaling in pain. It took me a while to calm down and lift my hands from the area and there was blood everywhere; on my hands and on her cream carpets.

I managed to take a look and without going into details, it wasn't pretty. She had snapped my frenulum and it was all just so painful. I got my clothes back on and left, limping. I noticed it was almost sunset and that even more hoodlums were due to be in the streets. I am a big person but I was visibly in pain, had a weird limp and just felt vulnerable. I was struggling to move the pain was so bad so got my phone and called 111 (the non-emergency service) in the vein hope they would send an ambulance as I was in so much pain. The lady over the phone asked me what happened and I said "my frenulum broke and there's blood everywhere". She said "your what?", (testament to the lack of knowledge people who operate this line have) , and I explained the "the bit on the top that connects the skin to the..." and she hung up. What a bitch.

Now, I was on my own. I just had to suck it up and get to the station before sunset. Limping, sweating and in severe pain I managed to get there, make my way home and assess the damage. By now, I was still in pain but it was more of a numb feeling that only got really bad if I tried to pull things back or take a proper look. To conclude, the healing process was longer than expected and a couple years later I had to undergo my first and only operation to get the frenulum removed as it was causing problems.

My right leg went completely numb last year. I lost all feeling from the saddle area all the way down to the bottom of my right leg.

Walking on said leg was hell. I remember walking through Sydney Central station and feeling like I was about to pass out because of how bad it was. The next day, I went to a doctor since it hadn’t cleared up and I was getting electric shocks all down said leg.

They sent me to hospital where I had a full CRT scan and found that I had herniated a disc in my lower spine. It was pressing on the nerves...hence lost feeling in my saddle area and leg. Cauda Equina they call it. The next day I was prepped for back surgery and had said disc shaved to take the pressure off the nerve.

Pretty painful experience all around. For months before hand, I had been having issues in my right leg...like sharp searing pains that would come and go but I wrote them off because at the time I was walking a lot and thought that I was just straining muscles or what not. Not quite. All that time I had a herniated disc that was pushing out further and further until it finally hit the nerve and cut off feeling from my saddle area down.

After a year of recovery, I’m better now. Most of the feeling has returned to said leg. I still have patches of numbness and tingling in my foot, but for the most part all has healed well.

Last edited:
Generally I find stomach aches to be the worst. Headaches and the odd ache here and there are bearable but when it comes to stomach aches, it just feels like the worst thing ever. The worst pain ever I have ever experienced actually has a bit of a funny story to it, though it may not be very classy for this forum so I apologise in advance if you find it a little sleazy.

I was probably around 20 at the time and a female friend of mine invited me over to her house to "check out" her new flat. I knew it was for more than that but even she knew that I would not travel to where she wanted me to go (South London which is an absolute ghetto area) so when I asked where the flat was, she responded that it was in a place that wasn't too far from where I worked. After work, I got on the train and 20 minutes later got off at the stop. She then told me to get on another train to another stop. Well, okay.....Then got off another stop where she told me to exit the station and....walk to another station where I was to get a train to the area. Long story short, she knew if she told me the location initially I would not go so got me there in increments, making me feel each stop was where I needed to be.

I got out the station and it's what I hate and fear the most. Hoodlums. This was just after the London riots and there were kids aimlessly riding their bikes in circles, graffiti everywhere, rubbish blowing around the streets and the odd chicken with a (I presume) hygiene rating below 4 stars. I made the journey so thought I might as well press on. Got to flat, started to chat then got to down to business. During the warm-up, with her hand she yanked my thing back way too hard and fast and I felt the most excruciating pain ever. I rolled over, falling off the bed, nearly in tears. She was screaming "oh my god, are you okay?" and I was just whaling in pain. It took me a while to calm down and lift my hands from the area and there was blood everywhere; on my hands and on her cream carpets.

I managed to take a look and without going into details, it wasn't pretty. She had snapped my frenulum and it was all just so painful. I got my clothes back on and left, limping. I noticed it was almost sunset and that even more hoodlums were due to be in the streets. I am a big person but I was visibly in pain, had a weird limp and just felt vulnerable. I was struggling to move the pain was so bad so got my phone and called 111 (the non-emergency service) in the vein hope they would send an ambulance as I was in so much pain. The lady over the phone asked me what happened and I said "my frenulum broke and there's blood everywhere". She said "your what?", (testament to the lack of knowledge people who operate this line have) , and I explained the "the bit on the top that connects the skin to the..." and she hung up. What a bitch.

Now, I was on my own. I just had to suck it up and get to the station before sunset. Limping, sweating and in severe pain I managed to get there, make my way home and assess the damage. By now, I was still in pain but it was more of a numb feeling that only got really bad if I tried to pull things back or take a proper look. To conclude, the healing process was longer than expected and a couple years later I had to undergo my first and only operation to get the frenulum removed as it was causing problems.
Holy Christ...

I may sound like a bitch, but the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life came from being heartbroken for the first time. Took me practically all the way up until I met my fiancé to truly get over this lady and move on, which was like, seven years.

It was the worst and lowest time of my life. I ended up making a feature film about it back when it happened, but that landed me in hot water and never released it.

Until now ?

I may sound like a bitch, but the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life came from being heartbroken for the first time. Took me practically all the way up until I met my fiancé to truly get over this lady and move on, which was like, seven years.

It was the worst and lowest time of my life. I ended up making a feature film about it back when it happened, but that landed me in hot water and never released it.

Until now ?
Ooh, do you actually have the film?

Waking up with a hangover on a mate's settee to a room full of loud chewers. When my phone battery's dead. And I've got a morning glory.

This is all before the hazy memories begin to clear up and proceed with the cringing session too.

Yeah, Leroy, if you're willing to send it out to me as well, I'd love to take a look! :)

Anyways, I had skin cancer on my tongue in 2010. The cancer itself wasn't painful (as cancer ISN'T painful), but when the tumor kept growing, it got in my, "bite-path," and it would feel like biting your tongue constantly; so painful.

My surgery to remove it, cut out just over 50% of my tongue (it grew back to about 93% and then stopped) and despite being on morphine, I felt EVERYTHING... for the first day and a bit. When I was discharged and went home, I had a 2 1/2 hour nap and felt no pain after that.

BUT! The worst pain, was after the biopsy to confirm that it was cancer; they cut out about 33% of the tumor (it was only about the size of your middle fingernail; not huge) and then cauterized and stitched my tongue together, with dissolvable stitches. Anesthetic (local) wore off about 45 minutes after the biopsy. Then it began...

Not only was the pain excruciating (I teared up constantly throughout the day), but it was exceedingly difficult to spit or swallow. With stitches in your mouth, your body naturally creates saliva to wash it out, thus I was either spitting or swallowing, every 3 minutes (or less), for the rest of the day.

One of the most horrific feelings I have ever felt in my life and I wouldn't wish tongue pain on my worst enemy (though if it did happen, it would incapacitate them quite a bit XD).

Around noon or so the next day, the pain subsided and I was back to normal. But those were a hellish 10 initial hours.

It was kinda... don't want to say, "surreal," (that term has been way overblown and overused for the past 10 years), but just... bizzare lol, seeing the right half of my tongue normal and the left portion so cut away, it made the end of my tongue pointy-ish. They cut out so much, just to ensure they got all the cancer out and that I didn't need radiation or chemotherapy.

That and because of cauterizing (which is probably why it didn't FULLY regenerate), it was all black too, so it looked like an unnatural creature of sorts, had replaced my tongue!

I was given a window of 30-60 days of regeneration and had to eat liquids for 2 weeks before solids.

It regenerated to what it is now, in 10 days and I was eating solids 3 days later lol. My doctor's attending/resident/whatever had a bunch of med students with him, as he checked in on me and he had a stunned look on his face, as well as making remarks and all that.

I asked him if anything was wrong and he replied with, "nothing at all! Can I have all the students take a look?" "Um, sure? lol." It was 19 hours after surgery and my tongue already started growing the meat back and solidifying, with the papillae (is that what they're called on a human?) growing back as well, which he told all the students, "see how to granulation tissue is healing? The transition, etc.?"

So I had med students touching my tongue for around 10 minutes lol. The doctor said that in his 15 years of being a student/physician, that he had never seen tissue regenerate that quickly

So yeah! The long-winded answer lol.

TL;dr: they did and I'm Wolverine, apparently.

Getting hit by a car during a turn stop and broke my dominant right arm. I failed a semester of english classes that year becuase I can't write anything at all with my left arm nor do any assignments cuz everything I put out looks like a MS paint job on a piece of paper.

I had regular pain with gallstones a few years ago, I actually went to A&E the first night it happened as I thought I was having a heart attack or something but when it was revealed I was not actually dying there was little to no effort to find out what was wrong with me, even my GP palmed me off for a year with suspected "acid reflux" for year until I insisted on having some proper tests run, a quick ultrasound later and bingo, bango, bongo, motherfucking gallstones.

My doctor was half apologetic and being British obviously I didn't want to kick up a fuss but I am a bit annoyed that I regularly endured a considerable amount of pain and took needless prescription medication for over a year when looking at my symptoms it was pretty clear what was wrong.

The silver lining is that I used to be a bit of a wuss but now I can tolerate pain a lot better, I have chronic pain in my back and a few other places that I find much more manageable now than I did before. Like my man @Nathaniel Essex I tore my frenulum (didn't snap though) but powered on through the pain. :tearsofjoy:

@Bambi ,it's bloody painful isn't it? In regards to the doctors, you have to kick up a fuss if you think they're wrong. My son was very ill, coughing, not being himself and not moving much. Called 111, they said nothing sounded serious and recommended flu medicine. Took him to A&E, again flu medicine. After he was not getting better, took him to A&E again and again, flu medicine. It was not looking good so took him to A&E for a third time.

He initially saw a nurse who told me children wi typically still act themselves when they are not sick, they'll attempt to play etc. When they are just lying down and not acting themselves, that's when it's time to worry. She jumpus in front of the queue and took us directly to the doctor. An X Ray later and it turned out his had pneumonia, one of his lungs was almost completely filled with fluid.

He was in hospital for about 7 days and had to have a blood transfusion.

Back