Would the scope of Shenmue...

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Ever be replicated via the indie scene?

What if its with a dream team of indie devs assembled...?

Or are these games 2 grand to do a 1:1 ratio indie concepts clone?

Would anyone want any games replicating a literal Shenmue-lite perhaps? :p

Just playing Shenmue 2 now in Kowloon, the scale of this area is immense, while many of the buildings interiors are repetitive in upper floors the scale is immense.

I can't see indie game developers having the resource for a lot of the luxuries Shenmue offers - games within games, detailed conversations with tons established NPCs, I guess really the rest will be the results of Shenmue 3 which is really an Indy team, despite the experience within the team @ YSnet - and if it can maintain such diverse detours from the narrow plot.

If we're talking about the 2018 equivalent of the game's original triple A graphical quality and detail, I would say no. If we're talking replicating Dreamcast graphics circa 2000, in which case, I think it could be reasonably done.

Graphics aside, though, I think it could be done, and I'd love to see more developers taking stabs at games like this! I'd love to lose myself in a few more locales.

Shenmue 2 is still an impressively large game. I think any studio would have to pump a big chunk of money into it

Ever be replicated via the indie scene?

What if its with a dream team of indie devs assembled...?

Or are these games 2 grand to do a 1:1 ratio indie concepts clone?

Would anyone want any games replicating a literal Shenmue-lite perhaps? :p
Didn’t no mans sky begin as an indie game? The map in that game was infinitely larger than Shenmue.

Back