General RGG Discussion

I want to say I’d downloaded some stuff that would work on my NA account from other accounts but I’m not 100% certain since some games have so much dlc and it’s not always clear which countries have what available. But yeah in any case it seems Sony and Nintendo have given up on region locking. Don’t know about Xbox but it wouldn’t seem quite as important for it.

You can use already downloaded content from other accounts.
For example the english Hongkong / Taiwan version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.
If you enter the disc and start this game on a US account, the PSN store page wont work.
You cant see the store at all.
But if you start this game on a Hongkong account, then download the DLC items,
you can log in your US account again and then the items will be available there too.
Same thing for game demos. You cant see japanese demos in the US PSN store for example,
but if you have a japanese account, you can download the japanese demos there
and once they are downloaded, you can start them from your other PS4 accounts.
But i think the stuff has to be free. I think it doesnt work if its like a 25 USD season pass or something
because that will be registered to the account where you bought it.

Thanks! The language barrier isn't an issue for me, more concerned with whether it would play on an American console. I know some of the older gen consoles don't allow imports, and I haven't imported anything in about 20 years so figured I'd ask around. Digital would be ideal, but disc is cool too.

Everything has been region-free since PS3

I am sincerely surprised they haven't released this in North America. I'll be kind since I'm on the Yakuza thread, but the modern day games aren't enjoyable to say the least, this samurai based one looks fairly good and I bet it would sell well here. If the other Yakuza games can turn a profit, this one should have no issue doing so.

I'm not one to speculate on what would do well here or not, but the plot would be lost on 90% of the casual, loser Yakuza fanbase, that only care about making memes about 0 and fantasizing about Kiryu/Majima bromances. Due to that, I have a feeling people would lose interest after the first chapter.

Also, the gameplay is sadly a bit different from, "4 different forms of unarmed combat," like what the West is used to for these titles; when unarmed combat is the slowest/clunkiest of the 4 (well, maybe pistol is clunkier), you alienate the fanbase by making what they're most-used to, different. Sword and Wild Dance are among the 5 best combat modes of the entire series, IMO and they are superbly-implemented.

And stop bashing these games; we completely understand that you don't like them (which is fine), but they are all 8/10 games or higher, from the first title to the most-recent (the majority being 9/10-10/10 games) and they are BEYOND enjoyable.

Don't turn into Ghosttrick or Thomasina.

You can use already downloaded content from other accounts.
For example the english Hongkong / Taiwan version of Dead or Alive Xtreme 3.
If you enter the disc and start this game on a US account, the PSN store page wont work.
You cant see the store at all.
But if you start this game on a Hongkong account, then download the DLC items,
you can log in your US account again and then the items will be available there too.
Same thing for game demos. You cant see japanese demos in the US PSN store for example,
but if you have a japanese account, you can download the japanese demos there
and once they are downloaded, you can start them from your other PS4 accounts.
But i think the stuff has to be free. I think it doesnt work if its like a 25 USD season pass or something
because that will be registered to the account where you bought it.

Hmm...

So, you're saying that with my Canadian PSN account, I cannot view the 7 DLC in the store, but if I were to create a Japanese account and download the DLC for a game that is on my Canadian account, I can then apply it on my Canadian account and play it there?

Last edited:
Hmm...

So, you're saying that with my Canadian PSN account, I cannot view the 7 DLC in the store, but if I were to create a Japanese account and download the DLC for a game that is on my Canadian account, I can then apply it on my Canadian account and play it there?

Its a bit complicated. Lets say you have the japanese disc version of Yakuza 7
and you start it on your Canadian PS4 account. The game will work
but if the game directs you to the PSN store because the game wants you to download DLC or whatever,
it probably wont work because the game disc region doesnt match your PS4 account region.
Chances are very high that a error message like "currently not available" or something will pop up.

Now if you have a japanese PS4 account, it will open the PSN store and you can download
the free DLC stuff without any problems and once its downloaded,
you should be able to log back into your canadian PS4 account, start the game there
and the free DLC stuff should now pop up there too.
But it only works for free content.

I have DoA Xtreme 3 on PS4 (asian version with english text)
and this game has tons of free DLC costumes. But if i start the game
and then visit the PSN store from there to see the costumes, it wont work.
Its impossible to see the page with my german account.
Now if i log in to a Hongkong account, the ingame PSN store will work,
i can download all the costumes without any problems and as soon as they are downloaded,
i can switch to my german account again and now all of the costumes are available there too.

But now for example lets take the vanilla Nioh disc version.
Of course it will work on any account but now i'm buying the 25 USD story season pass
on my german account. Then this paid season pass will only be available on that german account,
it will be locked on all my other PS4 accounts.

I'm not going to buy the Yakuza 7 Pix N Love Edition. 90€ or whatever
is a bit too much for the normal Day One Edition + Artbook where everything is in french.
It kind of loses the value to me if i cant read it at all. And 30€ just for a nice little A4 size book with pictures doesnt sound right.
Thats why i didnt buy the Shenmue 1 & 2 HD Pix N Love Edition.

Its a bit complicated. Lets say you have the japanese disc version of Yakuza 7
and you start it on your Canadian PS4 account. The game will work
but if the game directs you to the PSN store because the game wants you to download DLC or whatever,
it probably wont work because the game disc region doesnt match your PS4 account region.
Chances are very high that a error message like "currently not available" or something will pop up.

Now if you have a japanese PS4 account, it will open the PSN store and you can download
the free DLC stuff without any problems and once its downloaded,
you should be able to log back into your canadian PS4 account, start the game there
and the free DLC stuff should now pop up there too.
But it only works for free content.

I have DoA Xtreme 3 on PS4 (asian version with english text)
and this game has tons of free DLC costumes. But if i start the game
and then visit the PSN store from there to see the costumes, it wont work.
Its impossible to see the page with my german account.
Now if i log in to a Hongkong account, the ingame PSN store will work,
i can download all the costumes without any problems and as soon as they are downloaded,
i can switch to my german account again and now all of the costumes are available there too.

But now for example lets take the vanilla Nioh disc version.
Of course it will work on any account but now i'm buying the 25 USD story season pass
on my german account. Then this paid season pass will only be available on that german account,
it will be locked on all my other PS4 accounts.

Understood; I indeed have it on disc.

Not going to go through the trouble to create a Japanese PSN account :)

Understood; I indeed have it on disc.

Not going to go through the trouble to create a Japanese PSN account :)

I'm not really sure how it works.
I think as long as its free content, the PS4 system doesnt care where you downloaded it. (PSN region)
It just recognizes that you have DLC on your system and thats it.
Like there is no specific DoA Xtreme 3 folder for user A and his installed costumes,
the costumes are in the folder of every account on the PS4.

But as soon as you paid for something, the system recognizes that a specific account has now access
and it will only unlock the content for that account name and no one else.

So you can start japanese or Hongkong demos or whatever on your US, EU, whatever account
and you can use DLC content in a region where its normally blocked if you did download it
from the region where its not locked (but it needs to be free content).

But if you pay something then it will be tied to that specific account.

Btw it seems like for whatever reason, Yakuza 7 (Like A Dragon)
will be available on November 10th on Xbox One, X / S
but PS4 and Steam will get it on November 13th. (PS5 no update)
So it seems like Sega and Microsoft made a new deal because of the X / S release date
and now Xbox will get the game three days early ...
And Sega's comment on the question if PS4 release
and Steam release will be still on November 13th or earlier or later or whatever
"no comment".

Thanks Sega and Microsoft

fungineer2.png

I'm not really sure how it works.
I think as long as its free content, the PS4 system doesnt care where you downloaded it. (PSN region)
It just recognizes that you have DLC on your system and thats it.
Like there is no specific DoA Xtreme 3 folder for user A and his installed costumes,
the costumes are in the folder of every account on the PS4.

But as soon as you paid for something, the system recognizes that a specific account has now access
and it will only unlock the content for that account name and no one else.

So you can start japanese or Hongkong demos or whatever on your US, EU, whatever account
and you can use DLC content in a region where its normally blocked if you did download it
from the region where its not locked (but it needs to be free content).

But if you pay something then it will be tied to that specific account.

Not entirely. I bought the game from the Japanese store using my Japanese account and can play it comfortably on my regular Australian account. I can play every game I've bought from the US store and Japanese store on my main account with ease once downloaded from those separate accounts. There's no region locking. Nor is there account locking on those games. You can play whatever game you own on your PS4 under whatever account you like on the system. I have my standard Australian account, a US account and a Japanese account and it all works fine.

DLC is region locked though. For instance, I bought the physical copy of Persona 5 from America on launch. In order to download the Japanese dub, I couldn't just download that DLC from the AU store because it would not work with the American copy I bought. So I had to download the dub from the American store and install it for it to be recognise it. But it was all perfectly playable on my standard Australian account once downloaded and installed. It mostly just matches the product ID and region in that regard.

That was how I was able to get Hotline Miami 2 back in the day when it got banned here in Aus. Downloaded it from the US store with my US account and got trophies for it on my regular AU account.

But yeah, I bought Y7 from the Japanese PSN store and it works perfectly fine on my Australian account.

I hope they don't change that with the upcoming PS5.

Kiryu Kazama is a true badass its just insane how this guy is beating gangs of people. Especially when all of them are weilding firearms, bo staffs, swords, tasers😂. How these thugs find the courage to still fight him is crazy. I'm loving Yakuza Kiwami.

While I have many thoughts on Kiwami 2, I'll say this for now:

I managed to get two in the cup shots during that lovely golf subquest. In the moment, it made me give pause: if I had a wife who were about to deliver my first child, I'd probably finish that subquest first, just so I'd never have to complete that again.
I look forward to losing my final scalp hairs due to this series :kissingheart:

(Lest I accidentally sound passive aggressive, I think this series is scrumptious.)

Now we've had the PS5 release schedule, has their been any news in regards to the Yakuza 7 version for PS5? I must admit it seems odd now that we now the PS4 version is being release around the same date that the PS5 version is absent - I'm also debating if I want to still go ahead with my PS4 too.

On a side note, I beat Yakluza 4 for the 1st time this week! I really enjoyed it overall mostly the story set in 85 with Saejima. I felt the pacing of the gameplay was very messy though, as I would often be working on side stories only to progress the story and then play as another character - I know the game gives you a chance to explore with any character near the end but by that point I was so caught up in the story I didn't want to break its momentum. I don't think the additions of the rooftops and underground passages helped if anything the moment when Saejima has to navigate through that maze was awfully tedious. Really enjoyed it overall though and look forward to starting 5 for t he 1st time finally!

Last edited:
4 has a few really solid points, but once Tanimura hits, everything goes downhill in a hurry, both story-wise and (to a lesser extent) gameplay-wise. Not to mention that the first chapter of Kiryu is GREAT story-wise, then he gets largely neglected from the main plot, after that.

I dont mind Tanimura at all. Yakuza 4 my third fav after 2 and 1. Only was the Kiryuu neglect i didn't really like, but all three other characters made up for the lack of him.

Upgraded my PS4 to SSD, so I began Judgment again after a few weeks hiatus. Chapter 7 heating up quite a bit.

I liked that Tanimura was more of a glass cannon as opposed to how powerful and slow Saejima was. Overall though I’m still unsure how I feel about the styles in 4 and 5 in retrospect...it really just felt like Kiryu’s moveset split up between four different characters rather than the more distinct styles in later games.

It occurs to me that we're in the month that TGS should be happening but isn't thanks to Covid.

Any chance we'll get our typical Yakuza update for the year this month? Or will they skip the annual release because they have nothing to show? I actually wouldn't mind if they have nothing to show. Let them have a break.

But yeah, it occurred to me it's that time of the year when Ryu Ga Gotoku studios usually start announcing stuff. Any chance something will get announced this year in Japan?

It's a spinoff year, so I'm thinking another spinoff that will continue the RPG formula (doubt it) or maybe a sequel to Judge Eyes/spinoff like Judge Eyes that goes back to Beat-'em-Up.

Back