General RGG Discussion

Not a problem! I was just laughing because I've posted it so many times, that's all :)

Am on my lunch now, so was able to search; from page 83 of this thread (IMO, a great page, as there are a ton of great posts in there and not by me lol):

Best in series:

7>5>3>Judge Eyes>0>6>Ishin!>Kiwami 2>Kurohyo 2: Ashura Hen>Kiwami>Hokuto ga Gotoku>Kenzan!>2>4>1>Kurohyo: Shinso>Dead Souls

Favourites:

3>5>1/Kiwami>6>7>0>Ishin!>Judge Eyes>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen>Kenzan!>Hokuto ga Gotoku>Kurohyo: Shinso>4>Dead Souls>2/Kiwami 2

Looking at that list, you can actually switch 0 and Ishin!, so that would change to:

3>5>1/Kiwami>6>7>Ishin!>0>Judge Eyes>Kurohyo: Ashura Hen>Kenzan!>Hokuto ga Gotoku>Kurohyo: Shinso>4>Dead Souls>2/Kiwami 2

Basically you have the same Yakuza character models in like a alternative universe
where they have different names but still have the same personalities
and the setting is Japan 1605 and Japan 1850+

So like Yakuza stories but with samurais and all that stuff.
Is this gonna be a PC release? So are this good news?

Is this gonna be a PC release? So are this good news?
Oh i wouldnt really call it like real news.
Kenzan is a PS3 game, its older than Yakuza 3.
Ishin is from 2014 (PS3 & PS4). They were never translated
because they started to push the series in the west again with Yakuza 0 (6, Kiwami, 2 etc)
and these two games came out before 0.

So Kenzan and Ishin sadly never made it to the west and people kept asking about these two games
and most of the time Sega simply said that they have no plans,
then some time later the english translation team said they are interested
but until Yakuza Like A Dragon they had no time to do it,
and now one of the japanese producers said that he wants a Kenzan and Ishin version for the west
but he thinks they would probably do full remakes instead of ports.

It doesnt mean that its confirmed that they are working on it right now
and there are no details about release time frame, platform or anything.
Basically the news is that finally someone of the developer team answered this question.

Can someone explain to me what's Kenzan and Ishin?
Jidaigeki spin-offs based around the Ryu ga Gotoku series. (And my personal favorites in the franchise). Kenzan is loosely based around the history of Miyamoto Musashi while Ishin is based around Sakamoto Ryoma of the Bakamatsu Period. Sadly though, neither of these two games were ever localized. So if you want to play them you will have to use KHH Subs for translations.

Oh i wouldnt really call it like real news.
Kenzan is a PS3 game, its older than Yakuza 3.
because they started to push the series in the west again with Yakuza 0 (6, Kiwami, 2 etc)

So Kenzan and Ishin sadly never made it to the west and people kept asking about these two games
then some time later the english translation team said they are interested
but until Yakuza Like A Dragon they had no time to do it,
and now one of the japanese producers said that he wants a Kenzan and Ishin version for the west

It doesnt mean that its confirmed that they are working on it right now
and there are no details about release time frame, platform or anything.
Basically the news is that finally someone of the developer team answered this question.
Well seems like good news to me! Maybe in 2022 we see them
Jidaigeki spin-offs based around the Ryu ga Gotoku series. (And my personal favorites in the franchise). Kenzan is loosely based around the history of Miyamoto Musashi while Ishin is based around Sakamoto Ryoma of the Bakamatsu Period. Sadly though, neither of these two games were ever localized. So if you want to play them you will have to use KHH Subs for translations.

Do they have Yakuza vibes or are they too different?

Oh, I wouldn't call it real news.
Kenzan is a PS3 game, it's older than Yakuza 3.
because they started to push the series in the west again with Yakuza 0 (6, Kiwami, 2, etc)

then sometime later the English translation team said they are interested
but until Yakuza Like A Dragon, they had no time to do it,
and now one of the Japanese producers said that he wants a Kenzan and Ishin version for the west

It doesn't mean that it confirmed that they are working on it right now
and there are no details about the release time frame, platform, or anything.
The news is that finally, someone from the developer team answered this question.
If we do get remakes, I hope they'll be developed in the Dragon Engine and fully voiced. Apologies for the double post.

Sput, they've pretty much covered everything above, but yes, the games are absolutely pure Yakuza-vibe and have all of the same quirks that the rest of the series has:

Kenzan! has multiple fighting types, which was the series' first foray into multiple styles and yes, while the characters are reused, there are only 3 that are prominently reused (take a guess which ones lol). It was, as mentioned, the very first PS3 RGG title and there are some frustrations, but otherwise, it is solid from top to bottom, has a great plot and this was my first exposure to Zeebra... which led to more exposure to Japanese music and I discovered just how awesome it is. It is indeed a loose retelling of Miyamoto Musashi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi and it takes place in the Edo period, soon after the Tokugawa clan rose to power and prominence.

Ishin! also has the multiple fighting types (done more effectively than Kenzan!) and introduces some of the gameplay quirks that 0 has (such as pressing a button to run, among other things). The Another Life involves farming and cooking and the game is just chock full of content; until 7 came out, 5 and Ishin! were far and away the most content-heavy games in the series. As mentioned, it takes place in the Bakumatsu period, essentially culminating around the time that Commodore Perry landed in Japan (which takes place near the end of the game) and it involves Sakamoto Ryoma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakamoto_Ryōma, the Shinsengumi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi and Hajime Saito https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saitō_Hajime, the Meihi Restoration. Where Kenzan! had a few characters from the series until that point, Ishin! VASTLY expands on that. After 5 came out, there was a, "character election," whereupon fans could vote for their favourite characters from the series, to be used in an upcoming game. This was a major deal in 2013, so people voted like mad for 30 days (and, due to a loophole discovered around day 10 of the election, the, "max 10 {or 3} votes a day," could be exploited, thus you could vote *unlimited* times per day... and I did lol) and the top 20 characters or so, were used in some capacity in the game... but there are more than 20 who are represented, you just need to find them all ;).

Both are great games, but Ishin! is one of the series' elite titles by far and it is definitely worth a playthrough, even if you need to translate it.

On the election note, for 0, they also did that with the JAV actresses that appear in-game and the top 10 were used as the Cabaret chicks, Marina and a few more prominent ones. The next 30 or so were the ones used for the videos and phonecards.

You could not exploit the voting in this one though, sadly :(.

Sput, they've pretty much covered everything above, but yes, the games are absolutely pure Yakuza-vibe and have all of the same quirks that the rest of the series has:

Kenzan! has multiple fighting types, which was the series' first foray into multiple styles and yes, while the characters are reused, there are only 3 that are prominently reused (take a guess which ones lol). It was, as mentioned, the very first PS3 RGG title and there are some frustrations, but otherwise, it is solid from top to bottom, has a great plot and this was my first exposure to Zeebra... which led to more exposure to Japanese music and I discovered just how awesome it is. It is indeed a loose retelling of Miyamoto Musashi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyamoto_Musashi and it takes place in the Edo period, soon after the Tokugawa clan rose to power and prominence.

Ishin! also has the multiple fighting types (done more effectively than Kenzan!) and introduces some of the gameplay quirks that 0 has (such as pressing a button to run, among other things). The Another Life involves farming and cooking and the game is just chock full of content; until 7 came out, 5 and Ishin! were far and away the most content-heavy games in the series. As mentioned, it takes place in the Bakumatsu period, essentially culminating around the time that Commodore Perry landed in Japan (which takes place near the end of the game) and it involves Sakamoto Ryoma https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakamoto_Ryōma, the Shinsengumi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinsengumi and Hajime Saito https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saitō_Hajime, the Meihi Restoration. Where Kenzan! had a few characters from the series until that point, Ishin! VASTLY expands on that. After 5 came out, there was a, "character election," whereupon fans could vote for their favourite characters from the series, to be used in an upcoming game. This was a major deal in 2013, so people voted like mad for 30 days (and, due to a loophole discovered around day 10 of the election, the, "max 10 {or 3} votes a day," could be exploited, thus you could vote *unlimited* times per day... and I did lol) and the top 20 characters or so, were used in some capacity in the game... but there are more than 20 who are represented, you just need to find them all ;).

Both are great games, but Ishin! is one of the series' elite titles by far and it is definitely worth a playthrough, even if you need to translate it.

On the election note, for 0, they also did that with the JAV actresses that appear in-game and the top 10 were used as the Cabaret chicks, Marina and a few more prominent ones. The next 30 or so were the ones used for the videos and phonecards.

You could not exploit the voting in this one though, sadly :(.
So if they release them on PC with better graphics this are great news then! More Yakuza for PC players! :love:

Oh boy oh boy Y4's story it's getting so good. Finished chapter 3, now I'm back with Kiryu. It's almost as good as 0 imo.

Now it's turn to Dojima's Dragon clean out this shit!! I love this series.

If they ever get around to releasing Kenzan and/or Ishin, Sega has to make bonus content by making books about how the real historical figures portrayed in the game are just to help international gamers get a sense of the game's story. I think it would be helpful if they made a special guide explaining for example who the Shinsengumi are, etc.

Hey everyone !

It's been a while since I played Yakuza. I want to give it another shot. TBH, the only one I played was Yakuza 3. I liked it, but didn't give me the Shenmue vibe I was expecting. Back then, everyone was selling it to me as a "it's the new Shenmue !", which for me wasn't the case.

Now that I know it isn't, I want to jump back into it. But where should I start, with 0 or Kiwami ? I've seen alot of people telling me to start with 0...

Usually I’d skip out on prequels and go order of release in a story heavy series, but honestly see nothing wrong with starting with 0.
Thanks, it's probably what i'll do. Now my biggest hesitation is wether I buy it on steam, or subscribe to the PC Gamepass... I'll do a bit of thinking for a while and we'll see.

Back