General RGG Discussion

I can't figure out Japanese Mahjong for the life of me.

Any Yakuza fans here understand the fundamentals of the minigame?

^ Truck 101 after losing a game of Janken to Kuze.

lol!

Download an app of it on your phone and go from there; I learned by reading Barticle's FAQs on Gamefaqs and just through trial and error; it is actually quite easy, once you understand the tile groups and how they're numbered.

Basically, like the card game, "Go Fish," you want to make as many triples or quads, that you can make. The person with the most at the end of the round, is the winner.

BUT! Unlike Go Fish, there are other ways to score and despite the above method being the simplest, it is not the method that will net you the most amount of points, thus winning you the whole match; you can also win by getting doubles of all the tiles in your hand (it's a trophy on Yakuza 3 and bloody hard to get), getting certain tiles in certain ways, etc. or by stealing.

Stealing is the most-common way these hands are won in the Yakuza games (which, combined with the sheer luck required, makes me think the AI cheats a bit) and here is where the dropping of tiles each hand, comes super into play.

Basically, you need to watch for every drop, every hand; if one player is dropping all Winds, save for 2 of them and the other players are not dropping those two Winds either, you probably won't want to drop the Wind you have in your hand, 'cause if you do, it could be a Ron or Tsumo, which immediately ends the hand and awards the winner (typically, though there are smaller) a ton of points.

Scoring is easy, winning is tricky.

While I like playing mahjong, it will never be among my favourite games to play, simply because of the luck involved; I tend to despise games of luck in videogames, simply because the AI/Coding is what you're actually playing.

A simulation of a game of luck is not nearly the same as a real-life version of a game of luck.

The easiest way to describe how to play Mahjong is as such. Numerical sequences of three and one pair makes up a basic hand. As in four sets of three and one pair makes up a winning hand.

123 - 123 - 123 -123 - 11

or

111 - 222 - 333 - 444 - Wind Wind

or

456 - 567 - 333 - Red Dragon / Red Dragon / Red Dragon - South Wind / South Wind

or you can go for all pairs and get a winning hand

11 - 22 - 33 - 44 - 55 - 66 - 77

and so on....

Your basic aim is to build a hand of four sets of 3 with one pair to finish it off. That's the most basic of rules for Mahjong...yeah there is other stuff like Pon and Chi to learn once you get the basics down...but yeah, the most basic way to play Mahjong is to build 4 sets of 3 and one pair.

It's a fun game once you get the hang of it though. It has quickly become my go to time waster in Yakuza since learning how to play. That and Oicho Kabu.

Look up some youtube videos on it...that was how I learned to play.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, back to my original reason for posting in here. Bit bummed that PS5 version of Yakuza 7 has no cross save feature. I still haven't finished Yakuza 7 and thought about downloading that PS5 version and picking up where I left off at 60fps...but alas, no cross save...I'm not sure I wanna go all the way back to Chapter One when I'm at Chapter 11 in the PS4 version. That seems like a really dumb oversight not to include cross save of any type for that long of a game.

Last edited:
Why are there zero updated Yakuza Like A Dragon PS5 posts on the RGG and Sega Twitter accounts?
Isnt the release today?

Why are there zero updated Yakuza Like A Dragon PS5 posts on the RGG and Sega Twitter accounts?
Isnt the release today?
American time? Time differences?

I don't even know how to redeem my PS5 copy that I'm supposed to be eligible for. Tried looking on PSN and couldn't find anything.

I don't even know how to redeem my PS5 copy that I'm supposed to be eligible for. Tried looking on PSN and couldn't find anything.
I went into the game tile and it brought up a link for it to download for PS5.

I went into the game tile and it brought up a link for it to download for PS5.
The only thing I can see is an option to buy the PS4/PS5 version...so I have no idea what's going on here. I have that French Physical Copy here that I haven't even put in so I wonder if that would make any difference if I tried uninstalling the current PSN version and installing that version.

It's weird. But all I can see right now is an option to buy the PS4/PS5 when I click on the tile version but nothing "free" to upgrade.

Yeah, okay but still even if its one more day for some regions, wouldnt they say something like
'hey remember that the PS5 version is out tomorrow and it has new features' etc?
I checked again now and there are zero new posts on RGGs and Segas Twitter accounts
about the PS5 release today. RGGs last tweet was in february and nothing about PS5,
Sega tweeted today and nothing about PS5.

The only thing I can see is an option to buy the PS4/PS5 version...so I have no idea what's going on here. I have that French Physical Copy here that I haven't even put in so I wonder if that would make any difference if I tried uninstalling the current PSN version and installing that version.

It's weird. But all I can see right now is an option to buy the PS4/PS5 when I click on the tile version but nothing "free" to upgrade.
Apparently there's been an issue with the PSN version which would explain it.

PS4 disc worked for me too. It showed a little 'free PS5 upgrade' window next to the play button in the dashboard
and that opened a free upgrade PS store page where i just had to click download.

1. That is an absolutely horrendous choice of music for the trailer.
2. Since when does
Ichiban fight Watase?
I think I'm just misremembering, but I don't think that happens...

Finished Yakuza 3 Remastered. Aside from the deluge of orphanage stuff at the beginning and the very block-heavy enemies, I really quite enjoyed it, despite public opinion. Gonna start Yakuza 4 Remastered tonight. It has table tennis, so I am extra looking forward to it 😁

My ranking of the series so far:

Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Yakuza 3 Remastered
Yakuza Kiwami

Played like the first 3 hours of Yakuza 7 again on PS5 and of course its nice to have 60 fps
but so far i dont really see any huge differences compared to PS4 Pro.
Sure it also loads faster but i feel like in terms of overall texture quality (ground, signs etc),
shadow draw distance and stuff like that, its the same.

Its cool but i dont think its really worth to restart your 50 hour PS4 save file.

It's got easily one of the 2 worst plots of the whole series, things are ridiculously stupid, a love interest is shoehorned in, completely cancelling the first game's established character motives and behaviours (which, thankfully, was re-instated in 3 and has stayed the course) and half of the game is literally identical to the first (in terms of gameplay, situations, settings, etc. I totally understand it was due to the limitations of the PS2).

That all being said, Kiwami 2 is a super good game on the whole, a 9 (or a rounded 10)/10, all day, every day.

I would rate Kiwami 2 way lower to be honest.
Its the most forgettable title in the 0-6 series if you ask me.
To me Kiwami 2 is more like a 'pointless' Kiwami 1.5. More of the same but ... i dont know, nothing important happens.
Not that the overall quality is super bad or anything but i dont like the direction of the characters.
Cant really explain it but i feel like its the only title where the balance between goofy, serious, funny, realistic etc
doesnt feel correct. I dont feel this weird love story, this castle stuff or the dramatic Goda storyline.
It doesnt work for me.

I mean, I'm saying about story. It was all too Michael Bay-ish. I'm not saying it's a bad game, I really enjoyed it. But this series it's a 10/10 in general, KW2 it's a 8.5.
I hear you, dude. With some exceptions, I favour gameplay over story, and Kiwami 2 had my favourite gameplay of the series thus far. The story was certainly pretty forgettable for the most part.

Back