Your gaming history? What were your first systems?

pilman

A mind as clear as a polished mirror
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Yakuza Zero
I grew up as a PC gamer, My dad had built an IBM 5170 clone for me in the late 80s when I was still young and grew up with the old VGA DOS games like police quest, loom, monkeys island, doom, space quest, blue force, warcraft, Dune II etc.

My grandpa gave me a NES system I want to say in the late 80s early 90 or 91, i had contra, duck hunt, mario, teenage mutant ninja turtles, a disney and back to the future game, some olympics game and a few others

Sega Genesis and SNES I ended up getting early 90s and the n64 in 96 as well as the PSX.

My brother would borrow a SNES and Sega Saturn from his mates so my earliest gaming memories are playing bits of Super Star Wars, Super Mario World, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Die Hard Arcade. Then one friend brought over a Dreamcast with Sonic Adventure. I couldn't shut up about how amazing the Dreamcast was and eventually got one. It was here that I discovered Shenmue. Then I got an Xbox for Shenmue 2 (could never find the Dreamcast version for some reason), a 360 for Mass Effect, and now a PlayStation 4 for Shenmue 3.

My first system was the Commodore 64. I had games like Outrun, Teenage mutant ninja turtles, Dizzy, Sooty, Arnie and lots of others.

We then moved onto the mega drive and sonic 1 and that's where it all began. I'm still a massive Sega fan now.

I started with a megadrive/genesis when i was 5 or 6. I remember playing streets of rage (the one where you fight 2 chinese women as a boss, i can't remember which one that is) and sonic on it but nothing else. Later I got a playstation but for the first few years i was mostly playing demos, i remember playing the demo for hercules a lot. I later got FF8 which was my first RPG and what made me fall in love with genre.

The system i played the most though was definitely the gameboy colour, between the zelda games and pokemon yellow and gold thousands of hours went in to that thing. My second most played system is the xbox with one literally exploding one summer after playing halo, jsrf and shenmue 2 too much

The first Console We ever had was a Philips Odyssey 2100, some sort of Pong clone Console.
Good old Times...

IMG_3082.jpg

Sega Master System II. Not at release but around the time when the Megadrive was just about to get released. One friend had a SNES, another had a Megadrive so I was able to play games on other systems that way. After that, my brother got a Gameboy but I played mostly on pc, things like the Tex Murphy series, Full Throttle,... until I got the Dreamcast.

My very first approach was in the late 80's on some i386 personal computer which my father bought.
My first "game" was a Donald Duck children videogame - Donald's Alphabet Chase
I had a few DOS games but I mainly remember playing the first "Prince of Persia", and a lot of "Ski or Die" :LOL:

Then they bought me a SNES... can't remember if it was Christmas 1992 or 1993.

1994: Commodore64
1995: PC
1996: Master System
1998: Game Gear
1999: Game Boy Pocket
2000: Mega Drive 2
2001: Dreamcast
2002: Nintendo64
2003: Game Boy Advance/Gamecube
2004: PlayStation 2/Xbox/Saturn
2005: Nintendo DS
2006: SNES
2007: Xbox 360
2009: Wii
2015: Xbox One
2018: New Nintendo 3DS XL

I should probably say that I rarely used most of em and sold the vast majority in 2010 or 2011 when I was beyond skint.

Now I just have an Xbox One and the 3DS. And my PC, obviously. The rest have either been sold, lent to someone, or packed away never to be seen again. I have a PSP too but don't have a charger for it do never used it once.

We had a Commodore 64 as long as I could remember but I remember the first console my brothers and I got was an NES on XMas 1988 and we haven't stopped gaming since. I have mostly been a console gamer and I haven't really played a PC game since Sim City 2000 LOL

I began with an Amstrad CPC 464. The games came on cassette tapes and took an awfully long time to load. You basically played side A of the tape to load the game and flipped over to side B once it was done to play. Then you'd spend the next hour trying to figure out what the game was, how to play etc. Horrendous system but felt magical. Then I got my very own Master System 2. I mainly recall Sonic, Alex Kidd, and Operation Wolf with the light gun. Shortly after came the SNES. I got Mario All-stars, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Adams Family Values and Pop n Twinbee with it. Most people I know haven't played pop n twinbee. It was released in Europe and Japan but not the US. Its one of the best Shmups on any system so try it if you get a chance!
cpc464-computer-750pix.jpg

NES->SNES->PC->PS1->Dreamcast->Xbox->PS2->Gamecube->360->PS3->Wii->PS4->XBO->Switch

Tiger Pockets->Gameboy Pocket-> Color-> Advance->DS->PSP->3DS->Vita

- Genesis (inherited from my uncle in 1998). It came with a Sega CD 2. Both still work flawlessly (knock on wood).
- Game Boy Pocket (Christmas gift, 1999). Only ever wanted it to play Pokingman, but played a few other things, here and there. Turok 2 was a lot of fun too, as was Bases Loaded.
- Saturn (saved up for in 2001). Still works flawlessly (knock on wood).
- Dreamcast (bought from my next door neighbor in 2005). On my third DC now, can fix the original though with a new GD-Rom Drive.
- Game Gear (bought in 2006). Now have 2 of them and both work well. Also have the battery pack, which is awesome.
- SMS (bought in 2007). Still works flawlessly (knock on wood).
- 32X (bought in 2008). Still works flawlessly (knock on wood). This was actually my second 32X; I sold my first in 2001, as the place I bought it from, didn't tell me it required its own adapter and connectors.
- Sega SG-1000 (bought in 2008). I believe it works, but I can no longer locate the proper TV to hook it up to and check. I do own Flicky though.
- N64 (bought in 2010), Only got it for the best wrestling games ever and Goldeneye, as I despise Ninty. I was the only person who DIDN'T own Goldeneye up to this point, that destroyed people whenever I played it, thus I needed to hone my skills.
- PS3 (bought in 2015). Bought it to play the Yakuza series, since I was moving to Calgary and needed my own console (always borrowed from friends) and Binary Domain: nothing else.
- PS4 (bought it in 2017). Same as above. 'mue III will be played on this console, as well as the HD versions.

Despite all this though, I grew up and cut my teeth in the arcades, with a bit of the Genesis on the side.

Born in 85, so my earliest memories gaming were on Atari 2600 and NES. I was always a huge gamer since day one, and the Genesis was my first very own console purchased specifically for me...

PlayStation, Genesis or SNES. I've been playing games from such a young age, I have forgotten exactly which came first. I've always been mostly unbiased on platforms and companies so I've played it all. PC, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, Switch/ Genesis, Master System, Dreamcast, PS 1 2 3 and 4, Xbox and 360. GB, GBC, GG, PSP. Probably the only major platforms I've never had are Saturn and XBONE.

Atari 2600, nes, and segas master system (gift from a family member). And almost every system since. Except for the dreamcast. My friend had one and I pretty much lived at his house. To bad we didn't discover shenmue at the time.

Growing up I had a Spectrum, CPC 464, Master System, Mega Drive, PS1, Dreamcast, and PS2, all as hand-me-downs from other family members (from PS1 onwards my parents stopped hearing "you've got kids, have this toy we don't use anymore" and started hearing "your kid seems unusually interested in these things, have this toy we don't use anymore").

After that, got an Xbox as a Christmas present, saved up and bought a 360 with my own money, bought a Wii as a present for my dad (and also for myself), and eventually a Wii U and an Xbox One. I'll almost definitely add a PS4 to that collection before Shenmue III's release...

As for what I still have, everything I didn't buy myself is gone; however, I have since bought my own PS1 and Dreamcast. I didn't particularly enjoy anything on the PS2 (when I had it, its main use was playing PS1 games), and the rest I can emulate easily.

Games I remember:
Spectrum - I had mostly compilation tapes, but Jetpac was always a favourite, as was Lazerwheel and Tintin on the Moon. Ant Attack is one I liked a little back then but like more now, and I wasted my life on Destructo but it was worth it.
CPC 464 - I loved One Man and His Droid although I didn't really understand it at the time. I understand it now and... don't really like it now. I also had a Spitfire game that I really loved, but can't seem to find now, as typing in "Spitfire Amstrad" gives me a completely different game - the one I remember had a side-on perspective more akin to Defender.
Master System - Sonic and Alex Kidd were definitely my go-to games; I'd completed Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World by the age of 7.
Mega Drive - more Sonic, but we mostly had beat-'em-ups that my brother used to piss me off by "accidentally" hitting me 36 times in a row and killing me.
PS1 - we mostly had driving/racing games for this, like Driver, Gran Turismo, Micro Machines, Rollcage, and Road Rash; I recall Fighting Force, the original GTA, Machine Hunter, Nuclear Strike, and Theme Park among them too.
Dreamcast - this was and always has been my "Shenmue and occasionally ChuChu Rocket" machine. Sure I had other games, but they didn't see much attention.
PS2 - Burnout, GTA3, and Stuntman, and the PS1 library. Two of those games made the jump to Xbox.
Xbox - Halo, SEGA GT 2002/JSRF, BLiNX, Kung Fu Chaos, Quantum Redshift, Need for Speed Underground, OutRun 2, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, and Burnout and GTA3.

Beyond that I bought my own games so there are too many to name and my favourites are already in the other thread.

My very first video game was one of those game and watch games. I am not sure what it was called but I remember you had to avoid snakes. I was about 6 ot 7 years old. Around that time I also played Pong on the Atari 2600. Yes I am old :(

But the first game that truly got me interested in video games was the Silkworm arcade game which I played when I was 12.

The first console I owned was the NES (got the package with Super Mario, Duck Hunt and the Zapper light gun).

After that I owned:
  • Commodore Amiga computer
  • Mega Drive
  • SNES
  • Game Boy
  • PS1
  • Saturn
  • N64
  • Dreamcast (of course)
  • PS2
  • Game Cube
  • Game Boy Advance
  • PSP
  • PS3.
I don't own a current generation console yet but I will buy a PS4 when Shenmue 1 & 2 come out later this month.

Mega Drive - beat-'em-ups that my brother used to piss me off by "accidentally" hitting me 36 times in a row and killing me.

It's funny thinking back to those moments, you would inevitably accuse one another of hitting each others player on purpose which would lead to fighting each other until someone had lost a life or hit game over and it virtually meant you were no chance of completing the game...Good times

My first dip into gaming was through the Sega Mega Drive my dad got me all those years ago. I still have very fond memories of playing the likes of Splatterhouse, Streets of Rage and Gargoyles on it. Though I don't have that console anymore, over the years I acquired this instead as a tribute to my old Mega Drive:

IMG_20180807_224007.jpg

Last edited:
Back