Your tolerance for puzzles in gaming?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Can you master a puzzle game like..."tetris" by figuring it out all on your own? Or do you hate the genre? How bout even when it show it's face in some form via other genres? Like in RE,Rpgs, Puzzle Bobbles?

I'd like to say I'm a thinking gamer, but when a puzzle stumps me, I do get the occasional ragequit tendency.

Depends on the game for me. For example, in Legend of Zelda since it's an action-adventure so puzzles are part of the adventure much like Indiana Jones. I do enjoy games like Tetris when I am in the mood for something more relaxing. Much like strategy games, I like giving my brain a cognitive workout now and then.

If I am in the mood to blow something up, then puzzles are something I don't want to deal with.

I actually quite enjoy puzzles. Tetris is one of my favourite games, and I play it almost everyday. So when I come across a puzzle in a game that doesn’t consider itself to be part of the puzzle genre, I’m actually quite surprised and I will usually enjoy solving them.

A recent example of this for me is actually Shenmue 3. In the bell tower, the last thing I expected was a puzzle sequence. Figuring out which symbols go together and then solving the direction puzzle was actually kind of refreshing. It added something a little bit different than what I normally expect from Shenmue. Although I do think that the puzzle needs a valid reason to be included in the game plot-wise, or else it seems completely out of place and disrupts the flow of the game.

FFS, how many times do I have to say it? Minesweeper. Is. The. Greatest. Game. Of. All. Time!

Love light puzzles like Resident Evil or Shenmue, simple sort of stuff. Otherwise, I don't play much dedicated puzzle games.

Just rinsed through Minesweeper Genius. Not as good as the classic, and it can be a little too easy at times (the main levels tend to use small grids), but a decent twist on the game.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alundra yet.

The game is undoubtedly a playstation 1 classic, but it's known for its difficult puzzles.

Back