Your typical Shenmue/Shenmue II Playthrough.

Jigen

Man Mo Journeyman
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Persona 5
Describe your typical playthrough style, I'll post mine later in a new post.

My typical play through starts with me wanting to get every possible side event I know of, and also talk to all the main NPC’s, Nozomi, Tom, Eri, Fuku-San, etc. I keep telling myself, ‘take it slow!’ but in the end I keep finishing both games faster than I did on my last play through, because I either forget about a certain side event, or I missed it because I skipped ahead to a main event to continue the story.

With Shenmue 1 I start off going around and soaking it all in. By the end I'm hammering through as I want to get to Hong Kong. Generally I'll spend shit loads on the arcade and toy capsules.

Shenmue 2 always starts the same. Buy lighters, get robbed, sell lighters, gamble,save scum, buy moves then story. This will be broken up by arcade games etc. I'll have small habits. Like I must get all Chawan Sign scenes etc. Guilin I always go through all the conversations with Shenhua. That's it

When I'm playing through seriously I aim to get the maximum number of unique dialogue lines.

I also walk absolutely everywhere.

My one and only rule is to learn the Double Blow from Yamagashi-san at sunset. That scene isn’t the same without a yellowy orange sky. Easily the best part of the game for me.

Oh, and I always read Iwao’s letter to Ryo coz the music’s fucking immense!

Well, ever since I got Shenmue II back in September 2001, I would always binge play Shenmue 1 and 2 since I always saw that they were one considering you can use your save file from Shenmue 1 can be carried over to Shenmue 2 on the original Dreamcast releases.

I really wouldn’t know how to explain a “typical” playthrough. But when I first got the Dreamcast version of Shenmue on New Year’s Eve 1999, I was 15 and I was taking Japanese lessons at the high school I was going to in Arizona, and just a mile away from my home, was a video game store that sold imports and they got the Japanese Shenmue when it came out.

When I was studying Japanese between high school and college, I just used Shenmue as a barometer of my studies and abilities. I always had my notebooks, textbooks, and dictionaries on me as I played. If I couldn’t find anything, I’d ask my Japanese teacher the next day. My younger days of playing Shenmue was just me trying to study Japanese lol.

After six years of studying and nearly living 12 years all throughout Japan (I now live in Yokohama, but I have also lived in Hiroshima, Ibaraki, Kagawa, Ehime, Niigata, Saitama, and Tochigi), I just play it “naturally,” if that means anything.

My wife, whose mother is from Yokosuka, has become a fan because of me and she plays the PS4 version every now and then lol

Well, ever since I got Shenmue II back in September 2001, I would always binge play Shenmue 1 and 2 since I always saw that they were one considering you can use your save file from Shenmue 1 can be carried over to Shenmue 2 on the original Dreamcast releases.

I really wouldn’t know how to explain a “typical” playthrough. But when I first got the Dreamcast version of Shenmue on New Year’s Eve 1999, I was 15 and I was taking Japanese lessons at the high school I was going to in Arizona, and just a mile away from my home, was a video game store that sold imports and they got the Japanese Shenmue when it came out.

When I was studying Japanese between high school and college, I just used Shenmue as a barometer of my studies and abilities. I always had my notebooks, textbooks, and dictionaries on me as I played. If I couldn’t find anything, I’d ask my Japanese teacher the next day. My younger days of playing Shenmue was just me trying to study Japanese lol.

After six years of studying and nearly living 12 years all throughout Japan (I now live in Yokohama, but I have also lived in Hiroshima, Ibaraki, Kagawa, Ehime, Niigata, Saitama, and Tochigi), I just play it “naturally,” if that means anything.

My wife, whose mother is from Yokosuka, has become a fan because of me and she plays the PS4 version every now and then lol
Always wanted to learn Japanese, I tried in High School, but had a poor teacher and found it very difficult. Good to know you introduced someone else. one of us, one of us... :p

Shenmue: Buy crawl cyclone early and use it at every opportunity in preparation for the Chai fight. Talk to everybody before talking to the main person I need to in order to advance the storyline. The dialogue becomes really interesting on disc 3, especially if you go back to Dobuita at night. Saijo san always has something interesting to say about your involvement with the mad angels and the tattoo parlour guy says something interesting stuff too.

Shenmue 2: Mess around with the map glitch a lot, train with Jianmin every day. Try to talk to Joy at every opportunity, cheat at gambling. Street fight a lot.

Always wanted to learn Japanese, I tried in High School, but had a poor teacher and found it very difficult. Good to know you introduced someone else. one of us, one of us... :p

I really didn’t care if my teacher was good or bad (thankfully she was a great teacher and we still keep in contact), I was still going to push through. I’ll be honest, I didn’t think I’d make it through Japanese classes since I was a special ed student due to a learning disability, but I told my family and counselors that I’m ready to take responsiblity regardless. But somehow, I ended up with the highest grade of the class for three years, and a lot of it is thanks to Shenmue for motivating and helping me.

Shenmue is usually the same routine for me. First few days I spend talking to every NPC, feeding Mimi, watching flashbacks, and pray everyday. I start collecting items, slowing playing games at the arcade, and training each move possible.

I try to get as many unique dialogue as I can, Nozomi cutscenes, Enoki battles, etc. I'm always trying to find something I haven't seen before. Filling up the notebook as much as possible as well, without spending all my cash at the fortune teller.

I basically try and accomplish everything the game has to offer lol.

Back