YsNet outclassed by Ninja Theory?

I think Shenmue is possible on a more limited budget, and I think it can be more successful, but Yu Suzuki needs to kind of rethink or explore other options of what a Shenmue game can look and play like in the 2020s. Games like Life Is Strange and other, 'slice of life', slower paced games that have found success over the last decade kind of prove that their is a market for something like that.

Shenmue 3 isn't a bad game and whilst people here think I am harsh on it, I always defend the game against people who just shit all over it and claim it is bad, because it isn't bad and there is greatness within it. That is the nature with modern day online discourse though. If something isn't an "8, 9 or 10/10", then clearly "it's fucking shit and should be mocked" even if it is something that has a lot going for it, but just has a few flaws or hiccups along the way. People's perceptions of what is great and what is bad are completely skewed these days.

That said, it is really easy to see why the marketing failed and why it did as poorly/averagely as it did. I think Yu Suzuki just needs to rethink some of his priorities and think outside the box. I hate using vague platitudes like that, but there is a reason why other smaller scale Adventure titles and slice of life games have found success, whereas Shenmue 3 didn't.

I think Shenmue is possible on a more limited budget, and I think it can be more successful, but Yu Suzuki needs to kind of rethink or explore other options of what a Shenmue game can look and play like in the 2020s. Games like Life Is Strange and other, 'slice of life', slower paced games that have found success over the last decade kind of prove that their is a market for something like that.

Shenmue 3 isn't a bad game and whilst people here think I am harsh on it, I always defend the game against people who just shit all over it and claim it is bad, because it isn't bad and there is greatness within it. That is the nature with modern day online discourse though. If something isn't an "8, 9 or 10/10", then clearly "it's fucking shit and should be mocked" even if it is something that has a lot going for it, but just has a few flaws or hiccups along the way. People's perceptions of what is great and what is bad are completely skewed these days.

That said, it is really easy to see why the marketing failed and why it did as poorly/averagely as it did. I think Yu Suzuki just needs to rethink some of his priorities and think outside the box. I hate using vague platitudes like that, but there is a reason why other smaller scale Adventure titles and slice of life games have found success, whereas Shenmue 3 didn't.
With this (and I agree S4 can happen on a smaller budget) we then enter into a discussion on whether it is/isn't fair on the community to hold out for what might be an unrealistic creative vision given the market averages I discussed before.

Not trying to start an argument at all but it is an interesting topic - at what point should the ideal 'vision' be dropped in favour of getting things done in game form? And is YS willing to do that/are people having those conversations?

I want the best possible Shenmue 4 in the vision of YS but if that isn't possible then I would hope things are moving to allow a mutally satisfactory game to come out which nails the story but maybe doesn't have too many bells and whistles.

With this (and I agree S4 can happen on a smaller budget) we then enter into a discussion on whether it is/isn't fair on the community to hold out for what might be an unrealistic creative vision given the market averages I discussed before.

Not trying to start an argument at all but it is an interesting topic - at what point should the ideal 'vision' be dropped in favour of getting things done in game form? And is YS willing to do that/are people having those conversations?

I want the best possible Shenmue 4 in the vision of YS but if that isn't possible then I would hope things are moving to allow a mutally satisfactory game to come out which nails the story but maybe doesn't have too many bells and whistles.
Also, how long can you wait to see if the ideal vision in game format is viable from a budget/funding perspective? The longer we wait with no news, the less likely people will care and therefore buy a new game. Everything was set-up with the kickstarter/Shenmue 3, original HD releases and anime and it apparently wasn't enough to green light a 4th. What can change now?

This is why I would really like a manga to finish the story which would be much cheaper and Yu would be able to tell the story the way he likes without budget constraints.

If we say that Shenmue III is made to feel like the first 2 games and appeal more to the old fans...
Hypothetically if Yu Suzuki comes back in 2015, would you be OK with him making Shenmue III more mainstream? To ensure a longer life for the series in the modern gaming environment

What's the first feeling that comes up when you imagine a world without our version of Shenmue 3? :) I personally don't want to, but now that we know the outcome, it's easy to see that for a lasting revival of the series, the game needs to be more mainstream and less Shenmue.

Do you think Yu Suzuki regrets missing this big chance just to make a version for the old fans? Which was more important? Establishing a lasting revival for the series with a successful new installment, or satisfying backers and fans with a classic Shenmue 3 feel?

I think it would be easier to create a classic mod for a mainstream Shenmue game that makes it feel more like the old games, than a modern mod for an old style Shenmue game rejected by the mainstream...

We definitely have to make compromises for the sake of successfully completing the series. If Shenmue 4 is too mainstream, I won't be too quick to hate. :D

Honestly if YsNet is get outclassed by other gaming studios thats not a bad thing. Yu is one of the all time greats he's already cemented his legacy he has nothing to prove at this point. Yu only came back because a opportunity to continue Shenmue presented itself.

One if the interviewees during the Shenmue documentary referred to Yu as one of the gaming Gods during his height. Yu has made many successful titles that are critically acclaimed but continues to toss and turn over Shenmue a franchise that has not been successful. It just shows the commitment Yu has toward gaming and his art form.

Even others who have participated in the creation and progression of Shenmue have stated there is something unique and special about Shenmue. These same people have been apart of bigger more successful projects but still have a connection with Shenmue.

I say all this to show Yu and YsNet is not competing against other gaming studios. The endgame is Shenmue and to be involved in gaming somewhat. YsNet is not trying to become a mega AAA studio.

Back