Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

No fan would think 3 was the conclusion. We knew it even before the Kickstarter was a thing.

That's not what I meant. I meant I have never thought Yu would ever conclude the story (i.e. I don't think he will release enough games to finish the story. If he releases Shenmue 4, I don't think he will conclude the story and will push for a Shenmue 5, which I wonder if there will be enough success or time to bring out)

Kickstarter might be difficult to use again, I agree but maybe, just maybe the game stands for it self and generates enough Money in ares of the market were the epic/Steam war does not matter, (console market and Asian) market it might have a Chance.

Or maybe they even resolve the pr chaos they did and then it migh be even sucessful in the western pc realm.

It might not be easy but the series still has a Chance.

I think you're misunderstanding the whole thing here. It's not about an Epic/Steam war. It's about delivering to backers what they paid for. That kind of thing hurts credibility. Keep in mind a lot of people who backed Shenmue III might also be people that got curious, because Shenmue III still was a name that was making people curious. It was that long lost sequel for a decade. Shenmue IV wont be able to ride on that. On top of that, Shenmue II was a masterpiece. While I don't doubt that Shenmue III will be a good game, that isn't guaranteed and we don't know where we'll stand from here.

I think Shenmue 4 will most likely happen due to the funding and interest from big companies like Epic and Deep Silver. We'll have a better idea for Shenmue 5 once we have some sales data for Shenmue 3.

And don't worry too much about Resetera, they'll be slagging someone else off come dinner time. Seems like its a daily thing over there.

Yu Suzuki has already said he’ll need 5 games to conclude the story.

I think the first game is the one it’s push down that percentage. Something like 5% of all he imagined. The end of Shenmue 2 may have reached 25% IMO.

I don’t know if he will be able to make more than 4/5 games, so that worries me. Maybe with a big partnership with Sega or Sony (Microsoft wants to buy a Japanese studio… But I don’t think YSNet is in it’s radar).

It is not just about backers. PC Gamers do not like epic. No matter if they are backers are not. Any game that is epic exlusive is considered as a enemy that must be destroyed. Metro showed how dirty These people fight the war. They voted the old Metro games on steam down. Classical Review bombing.

Even if the backers get the steam key, the epic haters will Boykott the game and try to force other people to do same.

There is Format war going and this war is hurting Shenmue in the pc space. Even if the Problem with the backers is resolved. And I really want that the other shenmue Fans that want a steam key, get this key.

But it is not just about Shenmue Fans. the series is endangered on the pc thanks to the steam/epic conflict.

It is not just about backers. PC Gamers do not like epic. No matter if they are backers are not. Any game that is epic exlusive is considered as a enemy that must be destroyed. Metro showed how dirty These people fight the war. They voted the old Metro games on steam down. Classical Review bombing.

Even if the backers get the steam key, the epic haters will Boykott the game and try to force other people to do same.

There is Format war going and this war is hurting Shenmue in the pc space. Even if the Problem with the backers is resolved. And I really want that the other shenmue Fans that want a steam key, get this key.

But it is not just about Shenmue Fans. the series is endangered on the pc thanks to the steam/epic conflict.

You talked about a possible Kickstarter. As I said, yeah, if YsNet is greedy to the point they dont want to give keys after release, people wont back for legitimate reasons. On top of that, a Shenmue IV kickstarter is a less appealing proposition for the mass audience compared to Shenmue III.

I do. But I also think we should be reasonable. I'm sure we'll get a Shenmue IV but that isn't guaranteed.
I understand your worries. It would be absolutely soul crushing to have the saga end on a cliffhanger on, say Shenmue IV and then not get another sequel ever again. But if they can't finish it properly, then maybe it's better for it to (dare I say it) be this way? It won't come to that of course, so let's just have faith in the excellence of Shenmue continuing.

I just hope that the a potential part 4 does not Need any help from outside. That is funded the normal way and Ys Net gets better technical suppport this time. To make a even better game.

if part 3 is a good game it can speak for itself it is not cursed forever thanks to the bad pr.

I understand your worries. It would be absolutely soul crushing to have the saga end on a cliffhanger on, say Shenmue IV and then not get another sequel ever again. But if they can't finish it properly, then maybe it's better for it to (dare I say it) be this way? It won't come to that of course, so let's just have faith in the excellence of Shenmue continuing.
I'm sure in a worst case scenario if Yu Suzuki can't finish the story via games then he might give us the rest as a manga, visual novel or something. I wouldn't worry about getting a conclusion.

Jesus Christ. How old are these people? They have to be in their early teenage years. I can't imagine grown a*ss men acting like this. Actually, in 2019, i think i can. Tentei save us.

Really hoping the steam issue gets resolved in the coming week.

We'll all know the answer come 2020.

Considering his recent comments in interviews about wanting to possibly start development on Shenmue 4 straight after the release of Shenmue 3, I think at some point next year we'll know whether Shenmue 4 is indeed happening or not.

Jesus Christ. How old are these people? They have to be in their early teenage years. I can't imagine grown a*ss men acting like this. Actually, in 2019, i think i can. Tentei save us.

Really hoping the steam issue gets resolved in the coming week.

You'd be surprised. Video games are serious business to some people. Probably the same kind of people who like AlphaOmegaSin and thought Gamergate was a legitimate movement.

Holy crap.

That's troubling to think we have to go through this again not once, but two or three more times.

But exciting that Yu Suzuki seems to be keeping his story intact.

My concern for now is walking away from Shenmue III and feeling like we haven't progressed at all. In a way, I felt like that about Shennmue II - 90% of the game was looking for Yuanda Zhu and not really getting much information out of him other than the directive to go to Bailu. Disc 4 of course crammed a TON in and I ended up walking away satisfied.

I am hoping that Deep Silver and Epic have helped Suzuki secure this longer term vision, to some extent at least.

I wonder how long it might take for us to see the final installment in this series (Shenmue 5?).

Cedric said at Monaco 2019 that sequels will be cheaper and faster to make considering that they can now re-use Shenmue 3 assets.

Shenmue 3 took four years to make, so I wonder if YS Net could pump out a sequel every two or so years, in which case we'd be looking at Shenmue being concluded with a Shenmue 5 possibly around 2023/2024.

Back