Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 3 is a Miracle

Isn't it just! Got very giddy seeing them flick through that Artworks folder! So hoping the Artbook we get from the campaign is A4 Hardback. But the video just hammers the point home, this is a very special occasion, this title shouldn't exist but here we are nearly 20 years later getting a continuation which looks very promising as a game in it's own right - This could have very easily been adapted into a novel or Manga, so I am just very grateful Shenmue III exists as a Videogame!

It really is a miracle. There are not a lot of series which have as much staying power with fans to keep a sequel in demand for over a decade. I only played and beat the second game in March of 2015, believing that there would never be another. A few months later I was proven wrong :tearsofjoy:. I guess I should consider myself lucky that the wait didn't feel as long to me, but I respect those who kept the hope and demand up all those years.
We all made this happen and I can't wait to continue the saga next week.

What an amazing video! So awesome to hear (and see) some of the design ideas and inspirations behind the game and the series. The way that he talks about the game is just so fascinating and it makes me so damn excited that thanks to the documentary (that I ALWAYS forget about) we will have hours of this to look forward to!

I have felt super on edge for the last few days as the release draws closer and closer. However, this video (much like the games & the backer demo specifically), made me feel surprisingly relaxed. It really is just a miracle that things lined up this way, and that Yu could finally get around to making the game that we have all waited so long for!

Great video. However the whole miracle thing, is really the story behind the development of the Shenmue games ingeneral. Also we're not even close to only 1 underlined miracle here, I'm not joking, literally each Shenmue game(not counting town ofcourse) has a very long list/string of miracles that were required for such games to be developed.

If even one of the miracles didn't happen in the chains of miracles, it would've resulted in a very watered down/different game or even the game(s) not existing at all.

What an amazing video! So awesome to hear (and see) some of the design ideas and inspirations behind the game and the series. The way that he talks about the game is just so fascinating and it makes me so damn excited that thanks to the documentary (that I ALWAYS forget about) we will have hours of this to look forward to!

I have felt super on edge for the last few days as the release draws closer and closer. However, this video (much like the games & the backer demo specifically), made me feel surprisingly relaxed. It really is just a miracle that things lined up this way, and that Yu could finally get around to making the game that we have all waited so long for!
Sorry for being out of the loop, but what is this documentary you speak of? Are they going to do a making of Shenmue 3 thing?

Sorry for being out of the loop, but what is this documentary you speak of? Are they going to do a making of Shenmue 3 thing?
No worries :D Pretty much yes. It was originally being created before the announcement of Shenmue 3, in which they had been interviewing people all over the world about the first 2 games and how the fans had never given up hope for a third game. You can see the original trailer here:-

However, after Shenmue 3 was announced, they decided that their focus needed to change (as we were now getting the third game), so they went to Kickstarter to raise some funds to go to Japan, visit Ysnet, and film the creation process of Shenmue 3. The campaign was a huge success and managed to meet all of it's stretch goals. You can see more about it here:-

Here's also a slightly newer trailer:-

No worries :D Pretty much yes. It was originally being created before the announcement of Shenmue 3, in which they had been interviewing people all over the world about the first 2 games and how the fans had never given up hope for a third game. You can see the original trailer here:-

However, after Shenmue 3 was announced, they decided that their focus needed to change (as we were now getting the third game), so they went to Kickstarter to raise some funds to go to Japan, visit Ysnet, and film the creation process of Shenmue 3. The campaign was a huge success and managed to meet all of it's stretch goals. You can see more about it here:-
Ooooh, this looks interesting! Seems like it will be a good retelling of the series legacy. It's always nice to hear the perspectives of the makers and fans. Very cool that they got some of the VAs on board for it.

Hopefully it's possible to buy a physical copy outside of the Kickstarter campaign. I regret not ordering it at the time.

Thank you, Yu....for everything. :D

For giving us this series that we love with all our hearts.

Seriously, if you had told me ten years ago that I would finally be playing Shenmue III on the PS4, I wouldn't have believed you. The fact that this did happen at all is still pretty damn amazing to me.

All the bullshit aside. All the nitpicking aside. All the EGS drama aside. All the trivial worrying about how it's going to be received by the mainstream aside because none of that matters right now.

All that matters is that next week we will be playing Shenmue III...It will be a product available on retail shelves. It will be played extensively by everyone here. The impossible dream is no more.

That's pretty damn mindblowing.

Thank you, Yu. For everything!

On a side note, kind of awesome to see the development crew (looks like a small close nit team...as expected)...A great bit thanks to every last person who worked on this game. Your work is greatly appreciated.

I really can't wait for that fan documentary to come out btw. Any word on a release date for that? Or are they still hard at work cutting it together?

Last edited:
maybe ive got this wrong but from what hes saying, up to around 2006, shenmue 3 was 100%dead. Ys was almost willing to walk away from making another shenmue game but fans got him going again? wow.

Last edited:
maybe ive got this wrong but from what hes saying, up to around 2006, shenmue 3 was 100%dead. Ys was almost willing to walk away from making another shenmue game but fans got him going again? wow.
Translation: I was willing to give up until I saw a fan staring through my window at 3am. He wrote "shenmue 3" with the fog of his breath before disappearing. Also I live on the 25th floor.

What a heartwarming video. Interesting to see some behind scenes footage with debug development view, love to see more of that.

Also is this first time Suzuki recounted story of interviewing grandma and grandpa for their stories?

I wish I could see the credits manual, because from every single video I've seen of Shennmue in development, it has always been at that same office with team members who are working excusively on art or animation aspects.

I know we have a confirmation of 45 developers at YSNet, but I believe that Neilo or some other team is handling all of the code. For example, with Death Stranding at Kojima Productions, a core team of 100 worked exclusively on the art and animation, while all of the engine work and programming was handled by Guerilla games. A few other local Japanese outsource teams assisted with the artwork, bringing the total team size to approximately 280.

My belief is that there are no less than 100 individuals who have worked on Shenmue 3 across YSNet, Neilo, Lakshya Digital and a number of unknowns.

Back