Yu Suzuki ~ The Power To Never Give Up ~

Yu Suzuki ~ The Power To Never Give Up ~

yu.jpg

Yu Suzuki stands out as a profoundly innovative and imaginative force in the gaming sphere, spanning from Arcade Games to the monumental Shenmue series. His contributions have solidified a significant presence in the gaming history, owing to his pioneering vision. Through his groundbreaking work, Suzuki has not only pushed the boundaries of 3D technology, open-world gaming, and gameplay mechanics but has also reshaped and redefined entire genres, leaving an indelible mark on the industry.

In this blog post, I aim to delve into Yu's life, his illustrious career at SEGA, and various intriguing aspects I've stumbled upon online. Specifically, I'll explore the remarkable attribute that sets Suzuki apart: his unwavering determination, often referred to as "The Power To Never Give Up."

I dedicate this blog post to Yu Suzuki, and I sincerely hope that he gets the chance to read it someday.

~ Life ~

ys-childhood.jpg

Yu Suzuki (right) with his mother Taka and young sister Yuka.

Yu Suzuki was born on June 10, 1958 in the Japanese town of Kamaishi, Iwate prefecture, he was raised there.

Yu Suzuki Majored in Electronic Science at Okayama University of Science.

Now I will share interesting informations about Yu Suzuki's life that I found on the Phantom River Stone blog.

As a child, Yu said he enjoyed building things like cars, spaceships and rocket-powered aircraft out of Lego blocks - the larger the better.

Living in a provincial area, he like to make up his own games. One of these was competing with friends to make balls out of dirt and dropping them to see whose would last the longest.

He'd even bake them to strengthen their surface.

Yu also played with kitset models, but he wouldn't make the object prescribed in the instructions. He'd collect all the individual parts in a large box of parts and create something of his own liking, for example attaching motors directly to the wheels to make an all-powerful car. Yu's parents scolded him for not building the models each kit was meant for.

"One time I built the model as instructed, and showed it to them. Then after that, I disassembled it all and tossed the parts into my parts box".

family-photo.jpg
Yu Suzuki (right) with his mother Taka, father Yuzuru and young sister Yuka.

Yu's parents loved classical music, and his mother was a piano teacher. She taught Yu to play the piano and used to encourage him to take an interest in classical music too, but - as he noted children tend to do - he rebelled against this and jumped into rock music instead. He even replaced the strings in an acoustic guitar with steel strings and hooked up a microphone and speakers to play it like an electric guitar. At that time in Japan, electric guitars were associated with delinquent behavior so his parents didn't want to buy him one.

When Yu was young, he figured that not many people worked in jobs they enjoyed, meaning it was unlikely he would be able to find something he would actually like to do. Right from the start, he counted on being someone who would use his days off for hobbies. So he focused on jobs that would provide many days off, such as a teacher with summer and winter vacations. Then he considered being a dentist because you can choose your own days off. In the end, he went with SEGA because they offered two days off per week.

When Yu was in junior high school and thinking about his future career, he thought professions that had English names sounded really cool, like "illustrator' or "programmer", which fostered an aim to become one of those.

The profession of programmer in particular sounded appealing to him because he imagined it was derived from the prefix "pro" (which must be short for "professional") and the word "glamor" (which conjured up an image of a curvy lady)*. He wasn't sure if this was a career that men could do as well, but it sounded cool!

* Note from Switch: in Japanese the word "glamour" (グラマー) can have the meaning of voluptuous or full-bosomed, hence the association!

I recall reading somewhere that Yu Suzuki has a daughter. I believe she even makes an appearance in a video about YS NET. If I come across more details, I'll update this post.

~ SEGA ~

spaceharrier05.jpg

Yu Suzuki Joined Sega Enterprises in 1983.

Frequently dubbed Sega's counterpart to Shigeru Miyamoto, Yu Suzuki crafted many of SEGA seminal arcade games during his tenure.

Titles like Hang-On, Out Run, After Burner II, Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA, and Virtua Cop bear his creative stamp. In 2003, Suzuki earned induction as the sixth member of the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame. IGN recognized his influence by ranking him at #9 in their Top 100 Game Creators of All Time list. Moreover, in 2011, he was honored with the Pioneer Award at the Game Developers Choice Awards.

In September 2011, Yu Suzuki officially left SEGA to concentrate on his own development studio YS NET, while retaining an advisory role within SEGA.
His last position at SEGA was Creative Officer along with Toshihiro Nagoshi and Hiroshi Kataoka.

~ Shenmue ~

image1580.png

One aspect of Shenmue that I particularly adore is how Yu Suzuki drew inspiration for the story from his travels to China.

During his trips to China, Suzuki befriended Bajiquan Master Wu Lianzhi, who, to my understanding, served as the inspiration for Akira Yuki.

It feels like through Virtua Fighter and Shenmue, he's recounting the incredible experiences he had in China. And to me, that's truly remarkable and holds a special place.

In my view, Shenmue was his most ambitious project. The first game was released in 1999, but it was considered a failure in terms of sales.

Despite this setback, Yu Suzuki pressed on and released Shenmue II in 2001. However, he encountered numerous challenges in continuing the series thereafter. Nevertheless, he persevered, continuously seeking ways to bring Shenmue III to fruition. After an 18-year wait, Shenmue III finally hit the shelves in 2019.

This demonstrates an incredible resilience in Yu Suzuki—a determination to never give up. He steadfastly believes in the possibility of achieving his goals, even in the face of adversity. Many might have thrown in the towel, but Yu Suzuki never gave up. His unwavering commitment serves as a true inspiration to me.

~ YS NET ~

Air-Twister-Ann-Inits_05-31-22.jpg

Yu Suzuki founded the independent studio YS NET Inc. in 2008 after his career at SEGA.

This is what YS Net Studio did so far.

Information
Air Twister Released on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5,
Xbox One, and Xbox Series X/S
2022.06.24 -
Air Twister released on Apple Arcade
2019.11.19 -
Shenmue III released on PC and PS4
2017.08.17 -
Sign Global Publishing Deal for Shenmue III
2016.12.15 - PC version of Shenmue III Pre-order  PRESS RELEASE
2015.06.16 -
The Shenmue III Kickstarter Project PRESS RELEASE
2015.06.15 -
Shenmue III official site open
2015.06.15 -
Shenmue III Kickstarter Project launch

~ The Future ~

COLLECTED-WORKS-YU-SUZUKI.jpeg

The future of YS NET and Shenmue appears uncertain, but the fact that YS NET remains active is a positive sign. In one interview, Yu Suzuki mentioned that he's still making games.

If we don't receive any news about the future of Shenmue by 2024, I'll start to feel concerned. In such a scenario, I think it would be great for Yu Suzuki to share a message with the Shenmue Community to update us about the Shenmue situation.

Nevertheless, I still hold onto hope that we'll hear something about the future of Shenmue in 2024. Only time will tell what lies ahead for our beloved Shenmue Franchise.

~ Final Thoughts ~

dbc6xhu-2f351d20-cbff-40a3-b673-8e2c3451878a.jpg

After an 18-year wait, Yu Suzuki finally released Shenmue III in 2019. However, the game received a mixed reaction, even among the Shenmue Community. Despite facing numerous challenges to continue the Shenmue series, Suzuki continues to demonstrate resilience in difficult times. He even faced hate after Shenmue III release but no signs that Yu-san
will give up about Shenmue.

Yu Suzuki maintains his belief that someday he will complete Shenmue in game format, and this determination is truly inspiring to me. His unwavering commitment to Shenmue, despite encountering so many obstacles, serves as a source of inspiration in my own life.
When he declares in the credits of Shenmue III that he will never give up on completing Shenmue, I truly believe him.

image.png

His message in the Shenmue III credits is truly inspiring and heartwarming, completing Shenmue is a personal journey
to him. It holds immense significance to him, and I genuinely believe that someday he will achieve this goal. I'm committed to supporting him throughout his personal journey.

Yu-san has deeply touched my heart in many ways, and I'm incredibly grateful for everything he has done. I admire him greatly, and he serves as an inspiration to me in countless ways. In fact, I'm even working on creating my own story with a Shenmue vibe.

Shenmue has helped me cope with the losses I've experienced in my life, including my Mother's death and much more. I'm truly thankful that Yu Suzuki, alongside his team at SEGA, created the masterpiece that is Shenmue. It's a game series that was ahead of its time and revolutionized the gaming industry. Shenmue is an unforgettable and unique experience, Shenmue will always be my all-time favorite video game series.

I will continue to support Yu Suzuki, and I firmly believe that he will complete Shenmue in game format, whether it's in Shenmue IV or Shenmue V.

Yu Suzuki possesses a sweet, remarkable and enduring power—the power to never give up.

~ Thank Yu For Everything. ~

YuAndRyo.jpg

Now, I'd love to hear your thoughts. What do you all think about Yu Suzuki's career? Which games by Yu Suzuki are your favorites? Please share your thoughts in the comments below. Thank you all for taking the time to read, and remember to cherish your friends and loved ones. Until next time, bye bye. ~ Hikari ~ (Hiki)

~ Source and Credits ~

Last edited:
That was a lovely article! Yu Suzuki has been usually compared to Miyamoto but personally I find YS closer to other Nintendo notable figures such as Satoru Iwata and Gunpei Yokoi due their heavy work around hardware and innovation, while Yuji Naka resembles the most to S.Miyamoto as franchise factory man.

Other than the obvious answer to my favourite game from him, the same that gives name to this forum, it must be Virtua Fighter 2. That arcade "Atracct Mode" really paid off its label. I recall a big crowd amused in front of the cabinet, jaws open at Shun Di's and Pai Mei martial forms. I pulled so many coins into that behemot that probably founded VF3 alone.

Nowadays as an adult, what he accomplished at Power Drift amazes me a lot. Unlike previous racing titles (and every other genre making use of sprite rotozoom) he achieved real 3D with sprite based hardware. The level segments didn't dissapear out of screen region and perspective matched camera viewpoint. This reassures his "never give up" once more: real 3D wasn't theorically possible yet he managed to get it...

Some years later, I also remember discussing with friends about Shenmue gameplay about rumored or planned features that finally made the final cut. We were arguing if - again - that could be even possible. The major point was "it can't surpass FF7/8" XD... well it did. That gameplay from another realm was indeed very much alive.

An incredible article. What a great, great life this man has lived so far. So many great memories in my life were made possible by him.

I remember being a little boy, maybe 6 or 7 years old and playing Super Hang-On on Amiga, my first ever Sega game, with my left hand because I had become so good at it, the game held absolutely no challenge for me, so I tried to find a way to make it harder because I loved it so much. 😂

And this guy never gives up - Japanese spirit! No matter how much I disliked S3, I will never stop admiring and supporting this man.

That was a lovely article! Yu Suzuki has been usually compared to Miyamoto but personally I find YS closer to other Nintendo notable figures such as Satoru Iwata and Gunpei Yokoi due their heavy work around hardware and innovation, while Yuji Naka resembles the most to S.Miyamoto as franchise factory man.
I think that's probably a better comp, too. At least in that they both stopped actually making games pretty early on in their carriers, and moved into primarily producer and supervisor roles. (Nothing for Miyamoto after SMB 3 aside from Mario 64, and pretty much just Chu Chu Rocket, Rodea, and Balan Wonderworld for Naka after Nights.) Almost all of Naka's work in the trenches was as a programmer, though.

Nowadays as an adult, what he accomplished at Power Drift amazes me a lot. Unlike previous racing titles (and every other genre making use of sprite rotozoom) he achieved real 3D with sprite based hardware. The level segments didn't dissapear out of screen region and perspective matched camera viewpoint. This reassures his "never give up" once more: real 3D wasn't theorically possible yet he managed to get it...
This is actually largely because he did all of his programming in 3D, which was his thesis work in his undergraduate carrear. He actually never technically made a 2D game. The 'experience' series of games were only rendered in 2D, but everything 'under the hood' was done in 3D.

For me these days as an adult, and an engineer, I get really impressed by YS's work. All the Virtua Fighter tech is pretty nuts in its own right, but even just the progression in arcade hardware he worked on to get to full 3-axis rotation with G-Loc seems a little fantastical.

These interviews with Masaya Matsukaze have always been fascinating for me with being framed from an engineering perspective. Particularly in this section he talks about taking some tech from the CES floor to develop the cabinet for Space Harrier, and all the considerations that had to be made for the mechanical systems. Something he mentions that always stuck with him was that if they moved the carriages 30 degrees in 0.3 seconds, they would have basically been building F1 machines, in terms of force. Not to mention all the wear on mechanical parts.

I think that's probably a better comp, too. At least in that they both stopped actually making games pretty early on in their carriers, and moved into primarily producer and supervisor roles. (Nothing for Miyamoto after SMB 3 aside from Mario 64, and pretty much just Chu Chu Rocket, Rodea, and Balan Wonderworld for Naka after Nights.) Almost all of Naka's work in the trenches was as a programmer, though.

This is actually largely because he did all of his programming in 3D, which was his thesis work in his undergraduate carrear. He actually never technically made a 2D game. The 'experience' series of games were only rendered in 2D, but everything 'under the hood' was done in 3D.

For me these days as an adult, and an engineer, I get really impressed by YS's work. All the Virtua Fighter tech is pretty nuts in its own right, but even just the progression in arcade hardware he worked on to get to full 3-axis rotation with G-Loc seems a little fantastical.

These interviews with Masaya Matsukaze have always been fascinating for me with being framed from an engineering perspective. Particularly in this section he talks about taking some tech from the CES floor to develop the cabinet for Space Harrier, and all the considerations that had to be made for the mechanical systems. Something he mentions that always stuck with him was that if they moved the carriages 30 degrees in 0.3 seconds, they would have basically been building F1 machines, in terms of force. Not to mention all the wear on mechanical parts.
Unfortunately I'm lacking japanese language knowledge to get a grasp of what is being discussed at the video you linked. Anyway, thank you for sharing. I bookmarked it just in case some AI on the fly translator pops out, as Im very fond of this type of content.

Mate, I forgot about G-Loc... Now that thing was intimidating, wasn't it. Also, from a mechanical perspective, it showed how well made it was as it was always working. Really can't remember a G-Loc out of service in comparison to many others (no Punch Mania and alikes, which was users abuse/misuse) that simply couldn't stand too much time powered on. Its not a surprise that GM/Lockheed got along this amazing guy Yu Suzuki.

Back