Yuriofwind: Gaming Mysteries - Shenmue Online

Jibby

🍇
Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
the waiting game.
Yuriofwind has created a video about Shenmue Online where he talks about the game's development and gives some impressions.

I'll admit I could do without his snarky sarcastic comments (they didn't land, and were a little try hard), but I think he hits at the main point correctly. I'd even add that SO could've ruined the series, vs. it being in limbo. Two things come to mind.

First, as he says, the game seemed merely to present the appearances vs. the essence of Shenmue. I can play life simulators and gambling games elsewhere; the true reason I like them in Shenmue is because they're added to the substance, Ryo's quest. I don't care about Demon_boy29 helping me beat another swath of generic Chi You Men.
I'd think the aftermath would've led to even harsher articles like "Was Shenmue Ever Good?", and in that era, I think more pundits would say no.

Second, the timing (2004-7) would've been very bad for the franchise in general. Even though this would be a PC release, the 6th generation was all about flashy graphics and shooters, and the retro/AA craze hadn't yet kicked in. If this were to be released, esp. back then, I'd think it would've been slaughtered by reviewers/fans alike (the base WoW came out in 2004). It'd look like a last ditch effort to save Shenmue, and the series would be thought to go out with yet another whimper.

Now that the market has diversified and we're largely through the shooter bottleneck, Yu played the long game and it's been worth it.

I'll admit I could do without his snarky sarcastic comments (they didn't land, and were a little try hard)
I wouldn't look to much into it, that trademark snark is kinda his gimmick.

But yeah, I definitely agree with the rest of your assessment. Shenmue just seems like such an odd choice for an MMORPG. Almost feels like SEGA just went through their list of dormant IPs looking for something that might be even vaugely applicable. I'm surprised they even involved Suzuki in the project at all to be honest.

I don't think that it would have been slaughtered due to the timing though. The game was aimed at a Chinese and then Korean market where trends and demands were very different. MMOs & MOBAs were king in those territories and still pretty much are today.

I think Shenmue could've worked as an MMO if the series took off and was actually popular. If SO was being made on the sidelines as the main series continued, then it would've been just fine. The fact that Shenmue was in development hell at this point is what just made the whole thing so damn bizarre and borderline traumatic for us

I hope we can sideline the EGS and Deepsilver involvement and focus on the substance of the video on actual development.

One thing I’m shocked at, is since Suzuki has done many retrospective talks about development about original games, to my knowledge nothing substantial has been discussed or shared about Shenmue Online's development. Also this is the first I heard of lawsuit with JC entertainment when they either pulled out or were asked to leave as developers. Although I’ve never been a fan of MMO’s and think it’s antithesis of what original games were about, as a franchise I actually think there’s some merit in using the property for this type of game. In many ways it is probably a blessing in disguise we never got it as we are months away from a real sequel.

I remember the lawsuit stuff with the Korean company from back in the day. If I recall it correctly, the Taiwanese company which took over went bancrupt and the game was ultimately canceled.

I'm glad it was. Get the main storyline going, then we can talk about spin-offs, but not the other way around.

Back