SuperEyePatchWolf: "Shenmue III is a terrible game and I've wasted my life"

I do not understand this obsession with this kind of realism on a eating mechanic, yes people burn energy just to function, but humans for example also need to expel from the body the waste generated by food digestion and I am not seeing here anybody requesting toilet mechanics to add realism when in high probability it would not be fun.

Edit: Now that I think about it, does any room in the game have a toilet of any kind? I do not seem to remember any.
I doubt that there were many fans hoping that eating mechanics would be added to Shenmue 3 prior to its release, but it’s clearly something that Yu wanted to add to the experience and is exactly the kind of thing that we’ve seen implemented throughout the series since it’s inception. Before Shenmue, how many games had a day/night cycle, real-time weather, the need to sleep, wait and work, etc?

In this case, it’s hardly a new concept and other games have certainly handled it better, but the post that you quoted was in response to somebody suggesting that the whole system was unrealistic, which I don’t think is entirely the case.

Whether or not the game being more realistic makes it better is entirely subjective, but it’s worth remembering that we’re discussing a game that’s part of a series that has always strived for realism where possible and that that realism was one of the things that made people fall in love with the game.

Ftr, there were toilets as far back as the first Shenmue game, although thankfully, none have been usable to date.

Whilst we all know SIII is not a perfect game

I hate all this public shitting on games like SIII, all we'll have left in a few years time is FIFA and COD.

No, because each year there are great games, with not a lot of rep but still lot of praises.

Shenmue III in this day and age isn't some unique fresh air that you dont see anywhere else. There's like an hundreds if not more games that are unique, refreshing or just extremly good.

The industry isn't Shenmue III or FIFA/COD.

One of SEPW complaints was about making money by gambling. He used a method in game that I found to be not very efficient. Using the fortune for color betting is to much work. A better method would have been to save scum playing Roll It On Top.

Maybe SEPW didn't want to cheat though so I could see how things could become frustrating.

I doubt that there were many fans hoping that eating mechanics would be added to Shenmue 3 prior to its release

You can count me.
I always wanted a eating mechanics included since Shenmue 1 ("you can drink, why you can't eat?"), I always though that it was something that the game was missing since it focused on realism and to the protagonist daily routine.

No, because each year there are great games, with not a lot of rep but still lot of praises.

Shenmue III in this day and age isn't some unique fresh air that you dont see anywhere else. There's like an hundreds if not more games that are unique, refreshing or just extremly good.

The industry isn't Shenmue III or FIFA/COD.

Absolutely NO
I can pass on extremely good games, since the market offers lots of great games, but more unique and refreshing...
In the open world genre?

Hundreds? I struggle to even find one (#1) OW game unique just as Shenmue.

The whole review bombing happened in the first place just because Shenmue is a unique game that do not conform to the modern standards, in a market that accept only the "more of the same".

health being connected to the player’s stamina results in losing health from simply walking and running around in the game. it punishes the player for simply progressing.

This is definitely a hinderance.

Isn't that called a mechanic? I'm confused how you can be so sure it's a hindrance, just by its design. You eat, you move. That's it. At no point does the game say 'you haven't eaten X bulbs of garlic, therefore you may not progress', which would actually be a hinderance.

Absolutely NO
I can pass on extremely good games, since the market offers lots of great games, but more unique and refreshing...
In the open world genre?

Hundreds? I struggle to even find one (#1) OW game unique just as Shenmue.

The whole review bombing happened in the first place just because Shenmue is a unique game that do not conform to the modern standards, in a market that accept only the "more of the same".
The review bombing occurred because they pissed off people who don't like Epic Games Store. I don't think 'anti-Shenmue' propagandists review bombed Metacritic.

And looking into black garlic, it appears it is something people eat in Asia/China as a healthy snack. I assumed it was just raw garlic bulbs. Still agree with Thomasina a little more balance would've helped; having dozens of food items that do nothing and one food item that does a lot, all within the same price range, makes little sense. I've long believed not being able to eat actual meals in restaurants or in Shenhua's house was a big oversight, but I'm sure it was considered and they didn't want to spend budget on that kind of detail. Then again, Thomasina's scenario about Ryo sitting at the table and not actually animating 'eating' would've probably overcome that limitation.

Yeah, I think it's a bit lame too, but I don't think there's a large group of people who are looking to ruin Shenmue's reputation on Metacritic, outside of people who are mad at stuff like EGS.

Oh god, that old one.

Yes, because the platform in which the game is released on, really really REALLY affects the game :ROFLMAO: /s
To be fair, from what I read, a lot of people had issues installing the backer content and DLC through the Epic launcher, so I do think the game being an Epic exclusive damaged the experience for some players. Of course, the review bombing took place before these issues had emerged and so I’m not sure that it would have made any difference had they not.

To add to that the user scores, certainly on PS4 recovered quite well so it would seem in some aspects the bombing didnt have much impact. Though the PC version took much more of a hit

The review bombing occurred because they pissed off people who don't like Epic Games Store. I don't think 'anti-Shenmue' propagandists review bombed Metacritic.

And looking into black garlic, it appears it is something people eat in Asia/China as a healthy snack. I assumed it was just raw garlic bulbs. Still agree with Thomasina a little more balance would've helped; having dozens of food items that do nothing and one food item that does a lot, all within the same price range, makes little sense. I've long believed not being able to eat actual meals in restaurants or in Shenhua's house was a big oversight, but I'm sure it was considered and they didn't want to spend budget on that kind of detail. Then again, Thomasina's scenario about Ryo sitting at the table and not actually animating 'eating' would've probably overcome that limitation.

The EGS deal deal just brough some steam fanboys on the S3 haters train, but didn't affected reviews (at least not directly).

Review was plagued instead by the "for fans only" which became a mantra, that was a polite way to say "please don't give us these strange games, give us games with moar graphics instead" 6/10 lol

An eating animation would really helped, even Yakuza now has one (a simple generic animation when Kazuma doesn't actually eat, and it just take 10-15 seconds).
But even if the simple original drinking animation was scrapped for budget reason...

Hope in S4 they will finally include both animations and improve the food system, that is a great addition if they fully implement it (like for example with food combinations that give bonus for specific techniques, like Suzuki originally planned).

Last edited:
To add to that the user scores, certainly on PS4 recovered quite well so it would seem in some aspects the bombing didnt have much impact. Though the PC version took much more of a hit

I just checked and yeah user score for ps4 version improved to a fine 7.8 (finally an honest score).

But meta score on ps4 passed from the original 68 to 67, so there are still some very late reviewers that continue with their crusade against S3.

SEPW starts by complaining about the dialogue and, like many of his other complaints, there is some validity to this. Unfortunately, to demonstrate this point he chooses the opening dialogue between Shenhua and Ryo and then goes on to remark that 'conversations are filled with these really strange fades to black'. Whilst this remark may be true of the cut-scene he chooses to show the viewers, I can't recall another single instance of this happening anywhere else in the game. Yes; it was a poor and baffling design choice, but it is in no way representative of the game's cut-scenes as a whole. Of course, you wouldn't know that from watching this video.
While I don't have the game installed, I clearly remember awkward fades to black, weird camera resets, strange animations, and the inability to skip dialogue to varying degrees of frequency. I know that dialogue skip has since been patched in, perhaps some of the other issues have since been remedied? I believe the fades to black happen when a "cutscene" as opposed to simple "dialogue" ends, but occasionally it will fade to black and Ryo will be standing in the exact same spot, which is very weird but personally I found the jarring camera resets and strange angles far more distracting/frequent.

He then chooses two more clips to highlight how poor the game's dialogue is and, wouldn't you know it, in a game with over ten thousand lines of dialogue, he happens to choose two of maybe four or five nonsensical dialogue lines found in the game. I wouldn't have a problem with this if the clips were presented as being two of the worst examples of the dialogue/localization, but they're not. They're presented as 'the dialogue and localization are absolutely terrible throughout the game and these clips are a typical example of what the game's dialogue is like'. Again, a complaint that's grounded in reality being over-exaggerated for the purpose of justifying his click-bait title.
The translation is poor, and there are several instances of nonsensical dialogue or Ryo simply saying "I see" to everyone. This is especially egregious when Ryo refers to a second Shenmue tree in his journal and says that the Cliff Temple is where he got the scroll. I played in Japanese because I don't consider the bad voice acting to be an asset and I still cringed at how bad much of the dialogue is (Ryo calling an old lady "gorgeous"); most of it is serviceable but it's notably bad far worse than similar games especially because of how much S3 requires you to talk to random NPCs.

While we're on the subject of the title, I've seen posters here say that the click-bait title is justified because he is (or was once) a fan or that because it's a long video it can't be considered click-bait. I'd welcome an explanation as to how either of these sentiments makes any sense whatsoever, because I fail to see how either are remotely valid.
The title is "Shenmue 3 is a Terrible Game and I've Wasted My Life", let's break it down. First "Shenmue 3 is a Terrible Game", pretty self-explanatory, he thinks S3 is a terrible game; he's hardly alone in that assessment. Second "and I've Wasted My Life", he mentions in the video that he played S1 and 2 when they came out so he's spent most of his life waiting for S3, hoping it would be good. He concludes that this has left him stuck in the past, wishing for things to be as they once were and was faced with the reality that that's not going to happen. He's made videos about the Simpsons in a similar vein; about how nostalgia can be a trap. It's clickbaity, sure, but it's attention grabbing, and sends the message that this is coming from a fan, and it has a thoughtful analysis behind it, so I excuse it.

Moving on, anyway, and we come to his criticism of the morning routine in the game during which he focuses mainly on the Bailu section of the game. Ignoring for a moment that these sections only make up around 30-60 seconds of a one hour plus day in Shenmue 3, he states that it is the same cut-scene every day and that it can't be skipped; neither of which are true.

By developing Ryo's relationship with Shenhua, the player unlocks 2 further variations of the morning cut-scenes, meaning that for the 15-20 days that the player spends in Bailu, they probably see each cut-scene five or six times at most. Is this good game design? Maybe not; but the reality is at least somewhat better than the notion that there is no variation whatsoever.
They aren't? Every day Shenhua wakes Ryo up in a cutscene, asks if he got enough rest when he walks by her in the kitchen, and when you run near the Shenmue tree she tells him to have a good day in a cutscene. None of these could be skipped pre-patch and I don't think the fact that the phrases change slightly invalidates his criticism.

He later talks about the morning routine in Niaowu and suggests that it is more of the same, but as well as falsely stating that neither of these cut-scenes can be skipped, he neglects to mention that the cut-scene with Shenhua here serves as a recap of where the player needs to head next and instead allows the viewer to believe that it is once again the same cut-scene over and over again.
His point is not that it's the same cutscene over and over. His point is that it's unskippable (at release), and wastes the player's time (something of a theme with S3) in the most archaic way possible. Why are we forced into these cutscenes? Why can't Shenhua just passively say something as you walk by? Why does the gameplay need to be interrupted here? This may be nitpicky, and I hardly think his overall opinion hinges on it, but it's the kind of thing that gets really annoying when repeated every day, especially when those days are so devoid of meaningful progress.

In this section, he also implies that entering the raised area that triggers the shoe-removal cut-scene is something that is easy to do by mistake and something that players will likely do multiple times during their play-through because the controls are so bad (I don't recall doing this once, let alone multiple times) and then goes on to describe traversing the world of Shenmue 3 as 'a struggle' due to the poor controls. Could the controls be better? Of course they could, but at no point did I ever feel that they impeded my ability to get from point A to point B. Maybe this wasn't the case for him, but as a fan of the first few games, I find it difficult to believe that he struggled with the controls of Shenmue 3 given that they are an improved version of those found in previous games and that many of the environments the player needs to traverse in Shenmue 3 are a lot more open than some of the environments in previous entries.
Yea I agree, this was a very weak argument and not something I experienced. Again though, he's illustrating Shenmue's willingness to stop the gameplay, smash to cutscene of something innocuous, and then repeat that every time.

His initial criticism of the food/stamina system is fair (in that it makes little sense that stamina drain lowers endurance in fights), but complaining that when you're tired you can't run or that if you don't have food you have to run 'all the way back' to the village seems a little strange. Both of these mechanics are in keeping with pretty much every other game that has a food/stamina system and each area contains multiple areas at which the player can purchase food - meaning that running 'all the way back' to buy food probably never takes more than a 60 second round trip and can be easily countered by stocking up on food in advance. I am aware that I am defending a flawed system here and that me offering ways around it doesn't make it any less flawed, but it is nowhere near as big of an issue as the video makes out
The degree to which the stamina/food system bothers you is subjective, but it's definitely a very big part of the game and he outlines why it bothered him perfectly well. I had pretty much the exact same reaction to it. Here, I'll fix it right now: stamina shouldn't be a constant resource to be managed, rather it should be something that is applied as a daily buff. So Shenhua can give Ryo a list of ingredients that he can go buy or find and if he brings them all back, she makes him a meal and then he gets full health/stamina and maybe even a buff the next day. If he doesn't, then his stamina is lowered a bit (and can be replenished by buying food), that way you have to make a conscious choice to end up with really low stamina. He could also have the option of skipping meals with Shenhua and buying a meal from a vendor/restaurant, similar to getting scolded by Ine San for arriving late. He doesn't start walking after 5 minutes of physical exertion, he doesn't constantly need to eat food, he won't suddenly arrive at a story fight sequence where he'll get killed because he has no stamina, and it encourages him to engage with Shenhua.

a lot of the things that he criticizes are things that were found earlier in the series
Such as?

What makes it worse is that a considerable amount of the things that he complains about are things that were present in the first few games and whilst he does acknowledge this, he makes no real effort to elaborate on exactly how Yu could and should have learnt from modern games
It's not his job to offer suggestions (when he "fixes" the ending he says it's arrogant and he never does it), simply to outline his thoughts/feelings. Does he exaggerate? He's a YouTuber, of course he does. But it's all rooted in truth. His breakdown of the grinding for money mirrored my exact feeling while playing the game. S3 being as bad as it is hurts fans so much more than random people wanting to see a bad game get shat on. I could not believe what was happening when I was asked to grind out $5000. I was playing with a friend and at that moment I said that we were never gonna get S4 if this was the best we got for S3 while making this face:

fq53faeb8tv11.jpg

This would be incredibly disingenuous and I'm sure that you and others would, rightly so, tear the video apart. When things go the other way though, it seems that it's all 'honest' criticism.
It's honest because it's coming from an honest place. All the problems he has with the game are real problems with it that I have no doubt he felt genuinely. You can disagree with the degree to which those things bothered him, but I don't think you can accuse him of being dishonest to arrive at his point. He even echoes my exact thoughts when he says that every criticism he had of the game could have been forgiven if S3 stuck the landing in terms of story. That's a willingness to forgive that few offer a game they think is "terrible" and really only comes from a fan who's invested in the mysteries and characters.

Last edited:
Does the title really send that message? We know he's a fan but without scrolling through his videos or watching it you would wonder what he is on about, why has he wasted his life, which makes you watch.

What I'm sensing is what's been said in that if someone made a positive only video of Shenmue III, it would rightly be queried.

Here a generally negative view on the game, no matter how honest or dishonest, is subject to the same scrutiny from the other side of the fence and what some seem to find difficult is that this works both ways.

It seems to me that if you criticise Shenmue III then that's all fine (and it is, this is a discussion forum). But if you dare like it people wonder in here shouting you down because of their own view like it's a personal insult. Granted I've seen this on both sides but the point stands.

So for me its simple on both sides of the fence, discuss, critique, challenge, enjoy and show some respect towards each other.

Anyway I'll go give myself a warning for going off topic.

Last edited:
I'd love a native or fluent Japanese reader/speaker to tell me if the story and dialogue are poorly written in Japanese. Obviously the plot is the plot, but is the writing at least more polished than the localization? I played in Japanese and the acting still sounds pretty stiff/robotic, but it's way more playable in Japanese than English, IMO. I had no issues with the VA in the first two games, but I was 14/15 and fully acted games were totally novel back then...

The translation is poor, and there are several instances of nonsensical dialogue or Ryo simply saying "I see" to everyone. This is especially egregious when Ryo refers to a second Shenmue tree in his journal and says that the Cliff Temple is where he got the scroll. I played in Japanese because I don't consider the bad voice acting to be an asset and I still cringed at how bad much of the dialogue is (Ryo calling an old lady "gorgeous"); most of it is serviceable but it's notably bad far worse than similar games especially because of how much S3 requires you to talk to random NPCs.

C'mon, this is just light humor.

The degree to which the stamina/food system bothers you is subjective, but it's definitely a very big part of the game and he outlines why it bothered him perfectly well. I had pretty much the exact same reaction to it. Here, I'll fix it right now: stamina shouldn't be a constant resource to be managed, rather it should be something that is applied as a daily buff. So Shenhua can give Ryo a list of ingredients that he can go buy or find and if he brings them all back, she makes him a meal and then he gets full health/stamina and maybe even a buff the next day. If he doesn't, then his stamina is lowered a bit (and can be replenished by buying food), that way you have to make a conscious choice to end up with really low stamina. He could also have the option of skipping meals with Shenhua and buying a meal from a vendor/restaurant, similar to getting scolded by Ine San for arriving late. He doesn't start walking after 5 minutes of physical exertion, he doesn't constantly need to eat food, he won't suddenly arrive at a story fight sequence where he'll get killed because he has no stamina, and it encourages him to engage with Shenhua.

I think this is an excellent idea. I really like it. It does a few things: creates a connection to Shenhua, actually does something with Shenhua constantly being in the kitchen cooking food, rewards you for shopping (something that feels completely pointless to me, considering how abundant it is in Shenmue 3), integrates into combat/training. and turns selecting the right food into a challenge.

Last edited:
While I get the sentiment (sitting down at a table for dinner each day is an idea I like) it hardly matters in the grand scheme of things how they present it. Standing like a creep, well walk up to many NPC's in many games and you stand like a creep to talk to them.

You can engage the conversation from further away so Shenhua turns to talk to you. Quite often I will stand in my kitchen talking to my wife about various bits and pieces while one of us prepares food so it's hardly unrealistic to what I suspect many people do day to day anyway.

You also forgot to note that they will sometimes sit down, at the kitchen table, and discuss. Likewise Ryo will stand and talk to Shenhua each evening if she's in the lounge area (for want of a better word). That I'd admit is a little more odd as most would probably sit there but it's hardly like he ran up behind her and whispered in her ear.
I'd also argue that Ryo being a bit of a weirdo is part of his charm at this point even if it's not all intentional.

I'd also argue that Ryo being a bit of a weirdo is part of his charm at this point even if it's not all intentional.
Yeah, but I mean, you can't argue all about how REALISTIC Shenmue is compared to other games and how deep and advanced these night-time conversations are compared to other open world games , then laugh off people complaining about all the weird, unrealistic things that happen in Shenmue. Sort of a paradox, y'know. Personally, I'll accept any degree of unreality in a video game because it's a VIDEO GAME, but things that slap me in the fact with their silliness are hard to ignore.

Back