Shenmue The Animation Announced

Awaits the inevitable "Where's my Yakuza anime! Don't you know!? Yakuza IS Shenmue but better!!"

(I would actually take a Yakuza anime if Sega ever gave us one being a fan of both franchises...but you know how people are)

Or...awaits the inevitable Sharen's who will find something to take issue with.

GUYS REMINDER: AN ANIME'S SUCCESS THRESHOLD IS MUCH LOWER THAN THAT OF A VIDEO GAME, SO IF WE SUPPORT IT LIKE WE WOULD ANY COLLECTOR'S MERCH, THE PROFIT KICKBACK CAN HELP BOOST SIV'S VIABILITY. THE FANDOM HELPED FUNDED AND BROKE EVEN S3 PRE AND POST LAUNCH, THIS WILL ONLY HELP THE IP. PLEASE RALLY TO SUPPORT THIS ENDEAVOR EVEN IF IT'S NOT IDEALLY THE BEST.

sorry for the caps, hope I stress the point enough.

Tho it largely depends on prod value, the average break-even line where profits starts to kick in is around 10,000 retail copies.

source:

GUYS REMINDER: AN ANIME'S SUCCESS THRESHOLD IS MUCH LOWER THAN THAT OF A VIDEO GAME, SO IF WE SUPPORT IT LIKE WE WOULD ANY COLLECTOR'S MERCH, THE PROFIT KICKBACK CAN HELP BOOST SIV'S VIABILITY. THE FANDOM HELPED FUNDED AND BROKE EVEN S3 PRE AND POST LAUNCH, THIS WILL ONLY HELP THE IP. PLEASE RALLY TO SUPPORT THIS ENDEAVOR EVEN IF IT'S NOT IDEALLY THE BEST.

sorry for the caps, hope I stress the point enough.

Tho it largely depends on prod value, the average break-even line where profits starts to kick in is around 10,000 retail copies.

source:

I think Shenmue fans alone will break 10,000 if it ever gets a Blu Ray release. I mean most things Shenmue related tend to sell out pretty quickly. The vinyl went quickly when it was released and still gets sporadic re-releases that sell through. Most merchandise seems to do pretty well for Shenmue among fans at least so I imagine we can make this profitable for them.

Hell, we raised 7 million on KS for III as is...so I think we can make this profitable for them at the very least.

RELEASE A PHYSICAL COLLECTORS EDITION SET YOU COWARDS!!!

They most likely will. It's where they make money on Anime. They know Shenmue fans will eat up anything Shenmue related. Merchandising is usually what makes back the money put in. Although, I don't know how much the model has changed since the rise of streaming to be honest.

I don't know what the split is between physical and streaming anymore and how anyone really makes profit these days. Should look into that.

I think Shenmue fans alone will break 10,000 if it ever gets a Blu Ray release. I mean most things Shenmue related tend to sell out pretty quickly. The vinyl went quickly when it was released and still gets sporadic re-releases that sell through. Most merchandise seems to do pretty well for Shenmue among fans at least so I imagine we can make this profitable for them.

Hell, we raised 7 million on KS for III as is...so I think we can make this profitable for them at the very least.
yup, the backers count is already more than 6x the avg break-even threshold, we just buy it like we would merch(even if you don't like anime media) then we can boost the shenmue IP and help YS pitch SIV for a proper budget.

Meh. Sounds like the first season will cover the first game minus all the charm and personal experience.

I've never watched anime before except for Sailor Moon. Not sure what this will have to offer that the games don't do better ten fold.

I doubt Corey Marshal will be cast which will also be weird.

Worst that happens is they finish off the series in Anime form if IV and V do happen to fall through.

Would that be so bad? If that were the case then at least we'd get closure and a complete story told in Anime form. Isn't that what we all wanted if III couldn't happen? Back in the dark days when we all hoped but thought it would never happen.

Don't get me wrong. I hope IV and V happen. I want this series to end in game form just the same way it started. But it's good to have a backup plan just in case. But I still think we will get to IV eventually. I have hope we will see this journey through in game form.

But nice to have a backup plan just in case I guess.

They most likely will. It's where they make money on Anime. They know Shenmue fans will eat up anything Shenmue related. Merchandising is usually what makes back the money put in. Although, I don't know how much the model has changed since the rise of streaming to be honest.

I don't know what the split is between physical and streaming anymore and how anyone really makes profit these days. Should look into that.

Even if anime fans don't support it en masses the threshold is low enuf the fandom can carry the water entirely. Even Sega will take notice if we make it profitable.

Great news! The teaser image looks👌
Great news?
The story is only one aspect of Shenmue. If you take away the interactive parts of I & II -- the exploration, the atmosphere -- what's left is merely serviceable. There's nothing that remarkable about the story alone.
..without the gameplay you lose too much of what makes it special and unique in the first place.

Back