Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I was actually pretty sad when I heard Shenhua say this. Shenhua has no workplace skills whatsoever..... she's basically unemployable.
I did lol, thinking this was legitimately meant as humor, but even if she couldn't have found work, it's the thought that matters to me.

Really, though, it was kind of irresponsible of Dejin to let Ryo drive a forklift without any real credentials.

She can cook, clean, fish and look after farm animals.

She's not a Renaissance Woman, but she isn't useless.

She's useless.

She doesn't know how to cook, all she does in the kitchen is chop the same cucumber repeatedly as if she doesn't know what to do next.. that doesn't result in a meal.

I've never seen her actually clean anything either... she should take some lessons from broom girl.

And caring for animals? She nearly murders a fawn by drowning it in S2.. if not for Ryo.

She also lies about milking cows, she only gestures her hands next to the cow's udders and never actually touches them... begs the questions how does she get her milk? Steals it from the village?

Last edited:
She's obviously an agent for the communists.
She's definitely a Maoist sleeper agent meant to assassinate Ryo.

SMDzero's over here cracking the code on how Shenhua is secretly the ultimate enemy.

Has the (Mainland) Chinese version of S3 been canceled?
Not officially, but I think China has a lot of other things going on right now and are not too concerned about censoring a video game. Also, from what I read, pirated versions of the game were sold in a variety of places for next to nothing around the time of its worldwide launch - so I doubt YSNet are too motivated to get it pushed through now given that everybody who might have picked it up has likely already bought/stole it.

I hope it still gets released physically, along with that special edition that was mentioned in an interview way back when.

I just want to emphasize that the jackets looks amazing. They put some work in to the design. I want all of them in my own wardrobe. I wonder how far they will take this in IV. Will we be abe to put something on Ryo's head? Change to shorts? Pull up those shorts above waist level? Put glasses/shades on Ryo? Change Ryo's underwear with Xiuying on the front? .. maybe that's too far.. But seriously, people don't mention this so much. I think this is one of the best features in III with the fact they gave the player so much choice and that you had to explore/gamble to unlock more of them. The only downside was that there should have been equally as many costumes for Shenhua, including her original outfit. But maybe they could do that for IV. And it makes perfect sense for them to keep all the outfits for IV because the design is already there, they just have to make them graphically more up to date.

UPDATE! The Shenmue III toy capsules have started to be dispatched!

Keep an eye on your emails and Fangamer accounts.

ZnOPej4.gif

Huh, mine says they shipped a "Capsule Toy Set," and a "Single Capsule Toy" too. I was thinking they goofed, but then I went back to the kickstarter page and realized that they actually technically promised the set + 1 with the $500 tier. I guess that's just another unexpected bonus for me.

Not officially, but I think China has a lot of other things going on right now and are not too concerned about censoring a video game. Also, from what I read, pirated versions of the game were sold in a variety of places for next to nothing around the time of its worldwide launch - so I doubt YSNet are too motivated to get it pushed through now given that everybody who might have picked it up has likely already bought/stole it.
Yeah, it's probably not gonna happen anymore.

Huh, mine says they shipped a "Capsule Toy Set," and a "Single Capsule Toy" too. I was thinking they goofed, but then I went back to the kickstarter page and realized that they actually technically promised the set + 1 with the $500 tier. I guess that's just another unexpected bonus for me.

Well as anything you backed included the lower tiers, the $500 tier would include the "I Should Buy One" tier at $120, which only included the one capsule toy. Tbh I thought we'd just get the toy set without the extra figure too so that's really cool that they've included it.

Wait, does that mean at the 300/280/whatever tier it was that I got, I should be getting a capsule toy too?!!?!?!?

(I must have forgotten)

Squee!

Well I believe every tier includes the lower tiers, but you'd have to double check the Kickstarter to be sure!
But I'm pretty confident you'll get a capsule toy as well if you backed the $300 tier.

I started playing III again. I never beat it but I got a little burnt out so I took a long break from it.

I do enjoy the game despite its flaws, but one I cannot stand is the shop interiors. In I and II NPCs would come in, sit down, eat or drink. In III, every restaurant has food at the table. Hamburger joint has full-sized hamburgers just hanging out at the table with no one eating. Another restaurant has full-sized, roast chickens sitting in front of empty seats. The ice cream shop has dishes of unmelting ice cream served to no one. It's a silly complaint, but it just seems so bizarre that they'd do something like that. Just leave the tables empty.

That was duck iirc, but yeah, made me laugh. I think they intended for NPCs to be routing through the restaurant but ran out of time.
You're right! Duck makes much more sense.

I dunno, like I said, I like the game, but too much of it feels like a weird dream world rather than a real slice of life. For example, Shenmue I like, transports you to its real-world setting. III has a lot of oddness to it, like the wooden mannequins behind counters (something Suzuki seemed to think was funny / cute in an interview I watched), but it's just flat-out odd. And that's not something you can really blame on time or budget--I'm talking about things deliberately put into the game that make it feel strange and cheap.

Back