Random Shenmue III Thoughts

You're right! Duck makes much more sense.

I dunno, like I said, I like the game, but too much of it feels like a weird dream world rather than a real slice of life. For example, Shenmue I like, transports you to its real-world setting. III has a lot of oddness to it, like the wooden mannequins behind counters (something Suzuki seemed to think was funny / cute in an interview I watched), but it's just flat-out odd. And that's not something you can really blame on time or budget--I'm talking about things deliberately put into the game that make it feel strange and cheap.
You are 100% correct, at least from my perspective. I definitely found the restaurants full of steaming hot food and no customers bizarre. What is realistic about that?

Could you all stop calling attention to all the people who were in the restroom when their food arrived. I think they might appreciate it.

Not saying it's not a valid observation, but I also wouldn't say it's worth hyper focusing on. (You could hyper focus on similar oddities in the first two games.) There are still plenty of examples of establishments where customers are eating and enjoying themselves. Even the duck place has customers on the first floor. The ice cream shop next to the burger joint also gets some customers at one point.

The wooden practice dummy cafe is a sly jab at the industry of themed cafes in Japan. They have maid cafes, cat cafes, owl cafes (I would actually go to this), and almost any other theme you could think of. Personally, I kind of see the restaurants/cafes without customers as places that aren't very popular.

Just listened to the Van Halen style wood chopping theme a couple of weeks ago. Today, I found out Eddie van Halen is dead. So sad. Yu's favorite guitarist has passed away. Rest in peace, Eddie.

Shenmue 3 will be playable in the Playstation 5; the game is not feature in the list of Ps4 games uncompatible with Ps5.
It is possible that Shenmue 3 may benefit from Ps5's power boost and play at 60 Fps with less to non in game pop in's; but it is still very early to confirm it. Still very promissing news for Shenmue Fans.

Ps4 Only Games.jpg

Shenmue 3 will be playable in the Playstation 5; the game is not feature in the list of Ps4 games uncompatible with Ps5.
It is possible that Shenmue 3 may benefit from Ps5's power boost and play at 60 Fps with less to non in game pop in's; but it is still very early to confirm it. Still very promissing news for Shenmue Fans.

View attachment 9382

Yeah I think the fact is runs at an uncapped framerate means it will benefit from boost mode. Hopefully allowing us to play at 60FPS.

Think we will see any noticeable difference with Shenmue I & II on Series X or PS5?

Think we will see any noticeable difference with Shenmue I & II on Series X or PS5?

I don’t believe so. If I recall from the DF analysis the framerate is locked at 30FPS and while 60FPS was possible it would cause game breaking bugs as described here-

Of course, no matter where you play, it's still just 30 frames per second. This is a point of contention that appears often when discussing ports from older systems. In this case, the issue is once again likely tied to the way the game was designed. It may simply not be possible to run at higher frame-rates without breaking the game. And yes, this also applies to the PC version of the game

I'm considering a "one year later" play through of S3 on the 19th. I haven't touched it since finishing ~month after launch. It's weird; lately I've missed walking around the world, and my fondness for the game has been growing.

I'd love to play it on a good PC with max settings but, alas, I'll probably have to settle for the PS4 version again.

I'm considering a "one year later" play through of S3 on the 19th. I haven't touched it since finishing ~month after launch. It's weird; lately I've missed walking around the world, and my fondness for the game has been growing.

I'd love to play it on a good PC with max settings but, alas, I'll probably have to settle for the PS4 version again.

If you are getting PS5, the game should run at 60 FPS which will make the game a lot more playable.

No Limited Run decided to release Shenmue 3 Vinyls so there goes any money I had plans for.
I know the feeling!

@spud1897 andサム!, please let us know how both Shenmue I & II and Shenmue III look on the system! I know frame rates won't be changed for the rereleases on either console, but I am curious what the upscaling could do.

I know the feeling!

@spud1897 andサム!, please let us know how both Shenmue I & II and Shenmue III look on the system! I know frame rates won't be changed for the rereleases on either console, but I am curious what the upscaling could do.
I'll give things a pop :)

If you are getting PS5, the game should run at 60 FPS which will make the game a lot more playable.
Unfortunately I'm usually a late adopter for everything except handhelds. I picked up my first Xbox One last weekend :p

If I pick up a next-gen machine in the next 6 months, it'll be because I've traded my One S towards a Series S. Nice and cheap.

Back