Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I really want to take the leap and buy some next gen consoles, but I also don't want my launch/close to launch consoles becoming paperweights if in a year or two Microsoft and Sony end up releasing upgrades to them, like the One X and Pro.

I really want to take the leap and buy some next gen consoles, but I also don't want my launch/close to launch consoles becoming paperweights if in a year or two Microsoft and Sony end up releasing upgrades to them, like the One X and Pro.
My fear of next gen consoles is always the red ring of death

If anyone played on the xbox 360, they'll know my pain

I haven't actually heard of any good games being developed for either console, so I'm in no rush. Just looks like they raced out the gate with a bunch of upgraded Multiplatform games. :(

My fear of next gen consoles is always the red ring of death

If anyone played on the xbox 360, they'll know my pain

That only happened (and the PS3 launch consoles as well), due to the type of material they used for soldering; it dried and cracked up much quicker than the previous consoles, which had led in their soldering materials (led was banned in 2005 or whatever). Without a long-enough time to test the material, all the launch consoles would inevitable RROD fox the Box and YLOD for the PS3, unless you kept it at a perfect humidity/temperature level (which, for the PS3, was hard to do as it got incredibly-hot, very fast); it only took 5-10 years or so to actually study this, natch.

It's why launch PS4s and Bones (and other consoles, for that matter) never have had those issues, thus you won't see that happen ever again, probably.

(this is what I gathered via a ton of research when my PS3 YLODthed last year, btw, so it's not gospel!)

Hopefully Digital Foundry will do a back cat performance video before launch. I know one of the guys there is a Shenmue fan so hopefully it'll be a tested title. The UK launch date is a week after the US so they will know before we do...

Last edited:
It'll be at least 2 years before they do some kind of hardware revision for PS5/Series X. But that's just how consoles are going to work from now on -- the days of sticking with the same processing power for 5+ years are over. Consoles stay around for longer nowadays, too, which is also a factor.

I also think early hardware issues are less likely now (more experience, more testing etc.) but obviously you can't rule it out. The Switch still has that terrible Joy-con drift problem.

But yeah, I'm also in the "show me the games" camp, because as far as I can see, the only "exclusive to next-gen" experience available at launch is Demon's Souls, which is a remake of a PS3 game. I'm sure it'll be great, and I know some people don't care about how many exclusives there are at launch -- they just want all the games to look and run the best they can -- which is also fine. But I'm not one of those people :p [/BoringOldMan]

I’ve been playing Genshin Impact and recently got to Liyue, the Chinese-inspired second region in the game, and was immediately hit with Shenmue Guilin vibes with the stone mountains scattered all over the map and the music.

Shenmue will remain a niche game unless it can get the proper marketing backing from someone like sony. Hopefully sega can help with the sequel but their marketing has never been great to begin with.

All good though. As long as it can keep making money to justify creating sequels, we're good.

It took untill Persona 5 for that game to break out properly. Another series i adore is Fire emblem which didn't breakout until after 20 years of it being created.

Funny story, I remember telling people about persona back in the mid 2000s - 2012. No one took it seriously and brushed it aside as a weeb joke. Im glad its finally getting the recognition it deserves.

I doubt Shenmue will breakout due to the nature of the game, but who knows, maybe it can with the right approach. I will always say that the only Shenmue game to launch properly was Shenmue 1. Shenmue 2, 3 and the hd collecton had botched terrible launches.

As i say though, all that matters is if the series can continue to make profit to justify sequels. Thankfully that's what it has done over the last few years.

Lets hopefully get to Shenmue 5 and then finish/close the series for good.

Last edited:
Sony paid for exclusivity for an undisclosed amount of time.
Wow really? I had no idea. Makes sense though. I wonder if that expires after a year like the epic deal.

Just found the below. Seems odd.

Deep Silver’s official response was, “There is no planned version of Shenmue III for Xbox One.”

Last edited:
Sony paid for exclusivity for an undisclosed amount of time.
This, plus the fact Phil Spencer had no interest in having it on the Xbox platform from the start. Too busy focusing on "first party" titles :rolleyes:

If it does eventually show up on Xbox it won't have been through any effort on their part.

Actually Yu Suzuki himself said in one of the early interviews (after Deep Silver came on board)
that he was not interested in a Xbox version on launch day
because Sony were the only ones that were interested in helping Shenmue 3 right from the start
and he felt like it would be kind of wrong (morally wrong) to make a Xbox version
because Microsoft didnt do anything for the project.
I dont think this was a official agreement with Sony, more like a silent agreement?
Deep Silver simply agreed to Suzukis wish to release it on PS4 only. Pretty much all of Deep Silvers other games
are available on PC, PS4 and Xbox One so i doubt it was their idea to not release a S3 Xbox version.

Actually Yu Suzuki himself said in one of the early interviews (after Deep Silver came on board)
that he was not interested in a Xbox version on launch day
because Sony were the only ones that were interested in helping Shenmue 3 right from the start
and he felt like it would be kind of wrong (morally wrong) to make a Xbox version
because Microsoft didnt do anything for the project.
Yeah. I'd even read that Yu tried to get Microsoft interested a few times over the years but they always said no. Maybe he felt it was probably the right place for the franchise?
I'd be alright with an Xbox version now just to see it get more sales, but otherwise, eh. MS can do one lol.

I reckon Shenmue 3 would bomb hard on xbox. PS4 and PC were definitely the smart choices.

Ideally you want the game to release on all platforms, but if you had to choose, you'd have to go with Sony and PC

Wow really? I had no idea. Makes sense though. I wonder if that expires after a year like the epic deal.

Just found the below. Seems odd.

Deep Silver’s official response was, “There is no planned version of Shenmue III for Xbox One.”

I can't remember if it was ever explicitly stated, but Sony's Third Party Productions helped get the project off the ground, and of course hosted it on their E3 stage. It is at least a timed exclusive

is there any word on how successful Shenmue 3 was? i mean did they make enough profit to fund S4?

Back