What is your estimated global sales of shenmue 3

They should consider a Shenmue I & II & III discount bundle, if that's possible across 2 publishers. That might move the needle a little bit, but other than that -- if we assume Deep Silver aren't going to spend another cent on promotion -- then the game is destined to do poorly on Steam.

I don't think it was ever going to do great on any PC platform, but a year later? When literally no one is talking about the game? Expectations should be at rock bottom.
I think this bundle would be huge.

I mean, it’s in the high 100s (or it was a few days ago) a week after release at a steep discount. It’s certainly not selling tons. I couldn’t even get enough interest on Resetera to get my thread to two pages.
If I had a resetera account I would (obnoxiously) help you bump that thread.

If Shenmue 3 drove the most sales/revenue for Deep Silver in Q4 2019 or Q1 2020, are there solid figure public of Kingdom Come and Metro Exodus to compare and get a better estimation?

If Shenmue 3 drove the most sales/revenue for Deep Silver in Q4 2019 or Q1 2020, are there solid figure public of Kingdom Come and Metro Exodus to compare and get a better estimation?
It's very difficult to compare game-to-game like that without knowing the revenue from each quarter. Shenmue III may have been the main driver of sales in that quarter, but if their sales projections were fairly low then that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Maybe they do release that data, I'm not sure.

Honestly, I don't think it's really too important at this stage exactly how many copies Shenmue III sold. It probably wasn't great. The sales probably never will be especially great, in terms of numbers moved, but none of the parties involved have called it a disaster like Marvel Avengers, or anything. So, I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to try to play these numbers games with it.

I think the surest sign that we shouldn't be that concerned about the sales for Shenmue III is how little Yu Suzuki is apparently involved with the animated series. That suggests to me that he's spending most of his time working toward the next game in the series, and he likely wouldn't be doing that if Shenmue III had been a financial liability.

Of course, I'm sure driving more sales of Shenmue III couldn't hurt, but trying to yard-stick it now is probably not what fans of the series should be focusing on, I feel.

I think this bundle would be huge.
I don't understand why they didn't do a series bundle; it's the perfect promotion to launch Shenmue 3 on Steam !?
Shenmue 1 & 2 is currently being sold at 8,74 and Shenmue 3 Deluxe edition at 22,09; with this deal they could easily sell the series bundle for 24.99 or 29.99 !?

I bet that players that are in the fence to play the series would quite probably buy this bundle of 3 games for 10 each; that's quite good.
I guess someone isn't doing its job; from Ys Net to Deep Silver and Sega; they certainly know that the games were going be on sale with a discount and they didn't even bother to make a bundle !?

Even when you select either Shenmue 1 & 2 or Shenmue 3 the other doesn't show up on the slider of games of the same genre suggested by Steam !?

I don't know if they can be warned about this but they are easily losing game sales by not putting this bundle together.

I don't understand why they didn't do a series bundle; it's the perfect promotion to launch Shenmue 3 on Steam !?
Shenmue 1 & 2 is currently being sold at 8,74 and Shenmue 3 Deluxe edition at 22,09; with this deal they could easily sell the series bundle for 24.99 or 29.99 !?

I bet that players that are in the fence to play the series would quite probably buy this bundle of 3 games for 10 each; that's quite good.
I guess someone isn't doing its job; from Ys Net to Deep Silver and Sega; they certainly know that the games were going be on sale with a discount and they didn't even bother to make a bundle !?

Even when you select either Shenmue 1 & 2 or Shenmue 3 the other doesn't show up on the slider of games of the same genre suggested by Steam !?

I don't know if they can be warned about this but they are easily losing game sales by not putting this bundle together.
Because the rights to the games are owned by two different entities. It’s the same reason why many best of CD box sets miss certain albums or DVD sets miss certain films.

Honestly, I don't think it's really too important at this stage exactly how many copies Shenmue III sold. It probably wasn't great. The sales probably never will be especially great, in terms of numbers moved, but none of the parties involved have called it a disaster like Marvel Avengers, or anything. So, I don't think it's particularly worthwhile to try to play these numbers games with it.

I think the surest sign that we shouldn't be that concerned about the sales for Shenmue III is how little Yu Suzuki is apparently involved with the animated series. That suggests to me that he's spending most of his time working toward the next game in the series, and he likely wouldn't be doing that if Shenmue III had been a financial liability.

Of course, I'm sure driving more sales of Shenmue III couldn't hurt, but trying to yard-stick it now is probably not what fans of the series should be focusing on, I feel.
Well, the reason I am interested in the total sales of Shenmue 3 isn't for Shenmue 4. At this point I am pretty confident that Shenmue 4 will be made. It's been told that Shenmue 3 doesn't need big sales figure to ensure Shenmue 4. So it's not a matter of "if" but mostly "when". And I'm pretty sure that they are waiting on the anime revenue to finally launch the project, since it's been in development for more than 2 years apparently.

But the question is mostly for Shenmue 5. It's almost sure that Shenmue 4 won't end the story either. But also they need a higher budget than they had for Shenmue 3 (from Cédric Biscay). So my question is mostly : how realistic do we have to be about Shenmue 4 ambition to then ensure Shenmue 5?

Because if Shenmue 5 is supposed to be the last game and that it can't be made because they were too ambitious, that'd be a shame to end it there. And Yu Suzuki ain't young no more, neither are the fans. It's impossible to wait 18 more years then between Shenmue 4 and Shenmue 5.

But you know where I'll agree with you : Yu Suzuki, Cédric Biscay and other partners are professional and surely they took all that into account already and are just making a plan to ensure both Shenmue 4 and 5.

Maybe they'll raise enough money via the Anime to ensure both 4&5.

But I also want to know for knowledge only. I'm interested in seeing how well or unwell did the game.

Because the rights to the games are owned by two different entities. It’s the same reason why many best of CD box sets miss certain albums or DVD sets miss certain films.
I know that; that's why think that at least Ys Net and Deep Silver should have talked with Sega about this. If it is their interest in selling Shenmue 3 it most likely that a gamer would prefer to buy the entire series in a great deal bundle rather than just buy Shenmue 3 on its own.

I know that; that's why think that at least Ys Net and Deep Silver should have talked with Sega about this. If it is their interest in selling Shenmue 3 it most likely that a gamer would prefer to buy the entire series in a great deal bundle rather than just buy Shenmue 3 on its own.
We don't the know the backstage of the industry. Maybe they did talk to Sega or Sega talked to Deep Silver (YsNet can't do anything about all this), but they just couldn't find an agreement.

Or maybe they'll do it in the future and just didn't want to at launch?

Its sounds easy to us and it can be easy for companies if everyone is on board
but it can also be super complicated because of one person in one of the higher positions
or if they are simply not interested.

You know how it is, videogame / IP rights, company rights and all that stuff
is way too big and professional nowadays for some easy deals.
This all has to be 100% clarified and approved by everyone.
Maybe Sega of Japan simply doesnt want to release a package with Deep Silver
because it would make it look like Shenmue 3 is a official Sega product.
Maybe THQ Nordic told Koch Media (Deep Silver) that they are responsible for Shenmue 3
and it cant be sold together with the Sega games.
There are so many possible reasons from big to small and it only needs one of them
to make a bundle release impossible.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to be selling, even at that price.
I wonder if the Epic deal really hurt any decent Steam sales the title would have had.
Or that it's now a year old game.
Or it's that time of the year with discounts going on with bigger titles.
Or all three.
However you look at it, it's depressing.

Its sounds easy to us and it can be easy for companies if everyone is on board
but it can also be super complicated because of one person in one of the higher positions
or if they are simply not interested.

You know how it is, videogame / IP rights, company rights and all that stuff
is way too big and professional nowadays for some easy deals.
This all has to be 100% clarified and approved by everyone.
Maybe Sega of Japan simply doesnt want to release a package with Deep Silver
because it would make it look like Shenmue 3 is a official Sega product.
Maybe THQ Nordic told Koch Media (Deep Silver) that they are responsible for Shenmue 3
and it cant be sold together with the Sega games.
There are so many possible reasons from big to small and it only needs one of them
to make a bundle release impossible.
It could also be something pretty trivial like, when to do put them on sale, or who receive how much percentage of the total sale and so on... It could be also, as you noted a question of rights. For example, Shenmue 3 didn't have the right to implement Sega games (Hang On, Space Harrier), so it might have something to do with it also.

Like you said, there are many many reasons why it is difficult to do so, and if one party don't want to tire themselves about working it out. They maybe don't think it's worth the effort.

I wonder if the Epic deal really hurt any decent Steam sales the title would have had.
Or all three.
I think it's all of it.

The backlash with Epic (or criticisim it received)
The game is already 1 year old.
There are other games that have just been released or are about to (Assasin's Creed, CyberPunk).
The communication from Deep Silver was also VERY bad (Shenmue is really damned concerning the communication). I mean, they don't even care communicating about the game on Steam. They didn't update the release date of the game on the steam page until the last minute. They still use an old video instead of using "The Story Goes On" launch trailer. They don't communicate over it on social media or anything.

Yeah, low sells was to be expected, but I still expected a bit better.

Or all three.
It’s none of these things. Unfortunately, to most people at least, it is just a bang average game. If the game was better and had reviewed well none of the above would have mattered one bit.

It’s none of these things. Unfortunately, to most people at least, it is just a bang average game. If the game was better and had reviewed well none of the above would have mattered one bit.
It's true that great games that were EGS exclusive did well on Steam afterwards (thinking about Outer Wilds for example). Yeah, I think the poor reception et the very vocal disappointement by some people, made alot of people run away.

Reviews have been both good and bad. They've not literally been mostly bad. So no, I don't think that's solely why it hasn't sold so well at Steam launch. It hasn't helped, but I think there's other factors at play here too.

Last edited:
Reviews have been both good and bad. They've not literally been mostly bad. So no, I don't think that's solely why it hasn't sold so well at Steam launch. It hasn't helped, but I think there's other factors at play here too.
The one that are the most vocals are the bad ones. If you look over YouTube, alot of little YouTubers did a review where they judged the game to be pretty good, put those videos don't even have 100k views, while SEW's video is at 1,2 millions views. His video about how much he likes Shenmue 1&2 is at 600k views, so his video on Shenmue 3 has been seen twice as much, so it's one of his most seen videos. It was trending very highly on Reddit on the subreddit r/gaming (so really not necessarily Shenmue Oriented), with people commenting "wow, I can't believe they let the fans down like this" or "I haven't played Shenmue, but seeing this video, I don't think I will".

So yeah, if you look at the reviews from journalist and players alike, the reviews are a mixed bag with a consensus saying "the game is above average", but the ones that are the most heard are from people who hated this game. They have been very vocal about it, and still are, since they don't miss one occasion to tell you how bad the game is.

It really didn't work in Shenmue's 3 favors.

EPW's whiny-ass video came out far too late to make a difference really - everyone who really wanted the game already bought it, and the Steam reviews are very positive for the most part. It's the typical outrage for clicks internet mentality where people get riled up and boycott products they never had any intention of buying in the first place. All he did was slag off the game with a primary school level of hyperbole to pad out his own pockets at the expense of one his 'favorite' franchises. If that video was called 'an honest critique of Shenmue III from a long term fan' it wouldn't have gotten half the views it did. Good business but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror knowing i need to rely on that sort of material to pay my bills. Really disrespectful to Yu Suzuki in the video too, guy is a grade A cunt in my book.

Back