WOOD CHOPPING THREAD

Great minigame. This could have been somewhat of a chore but giving it more of an arcade feeling made things much more interesting.

Posted to Reddit a couple of days ago. Signed up on the dojo (again?) and saw this thread.
157 wood.png

Nice. Tbh when I got my score I wasn't even paying attention to getting excellent hits and whatnot, I just figured out if you spam fast enough you can hit any log immediately, no matter the size UNLESS it's placed in the middle. I just got godly RNG apparently when I got the 157. Idk if i have it in me to try to get higher, would love to see it happen though.

My best score is 137. I look at the bottom of Ryo's jacket and wait for it to line up to the point where it started at (in relation to the log). Can usually get very good each time with this method... excellent though seems more random, or I guess more precise.

Nice. Tbh when I got my score I wasn't even paying attention to getting excellent hits and whatnot, I just figured out if you spam fast enough you can hit any log immediately, no matter the size UNLESS it's placed in the middle. I just got godly RNG apparently when I got the 157. Idk if i have it in me to try to get higher, would love to see it happen though.
Oh nice, I didn't realize that was your score. I thought you were saying you found the image on reddit or something. It'll be fun to see who here can break our record now. 😁

My scores have been pretty pedestrian: Max 115 (in hard mode, if that makes a difference)

BUT

I was pleasantly pleased to hear this when I got an excellent in Sunset Hill:

I'm pretty sure it's possible to squeeze one more hit in, MAYBE even 2 depending on how many middle-logs RNG decides to throw at you.

Shenmue3-Win64-Shipping 2019-11-22 18-00-13-43.jpg

anyone know what decides how many splits per chop you get whether it be very good or excellent chops?
Sheephead did a really good analysis of this on page 2.

Ok, so after recording a bunch of rounds with Shadowplay, I've gone back through them in slow motion and worked out how the scoring works. It's actually pretty interesting and revolves around a chain system!! Here is the brake down:-

Wood Chopping Scoring System:-
  • You have a static timer of 1 minute 30 seconds (getting Very Goods / Excellent does not extend the timer)
  • Hitting a Normal = 3
  • Hitting a Very Good for the first time = 3
  • Once you hit a Very Good, a chain will start in which you are awarded 4 for every single Normal / Very Good Hit afterwards.
  • This chain can be broken by missing a log, in which you will go back to getting 3 for any log until you hit Very Good again (which will give 3) and which starts of the chain again.
  • If you manage to hit an Excellent, it will give you 3 (or 4 if you are already on a Very Good chain), and will start off another chain in which you are awarded 5 for any log hit.
I checked this over 4 different attempts and then checked it against Willom's video above and it all seems to be correct.

So, the best way to play, is to get an excellent as early as you can in the run, and then just make sure that you hit every single log after that!

I am now trying to work out how they are calculating the wage but it would seem that it is rounded up at some point as I got the same payout for 94 and 93 logs.
Here were my results for wages / logs if someone would like to work it out :p (getting late here)
LogsWage
11 (Was testing the Chain) - I'm not that bad ;)7
112 (Willom's)62
If anyone is interested, I've also recorded a bunch of training, sparing and fighting. I'm going to go through and probably work out the pixel count of the "leveling" bars and see how much 1 move gives you, if there is any difference of landing it in a real fight vs a spar, and the same for the QTE. I think this will be cool to know for when the full game drops, as we will be able to see how Yu and his team changed/speed up the demo balancing :D ( Yes, I think I am losing the plot )

Usually when I did the wood chopping I got around... close to 100 or so if I did good. Couldn't quite get the perfect timing for excellent rating though! Addictive...

Wow, 161 is insane. Most I've ever managed is 112 I think :p I enjoyed this minigame and the Afterburner music.

Is it me or is there a huge pay decrease on the newer patch? I just got 86 yuan for 141 whereas before I was getting well over 100

Is it me or is there a huge pay decrease on the newer patch? I just got 86 yuan for 141 whereas before I was getting well over 100
I think you may be misremembering. Scrolling up just a little reveals that others were getting similar amounts of Yuan for similar scores back when the game first came out. If anything, it looks like they may have increased the rate of pay a little.

I think you may be misremembering. Scrolling up just a little reveals that others were getting similar amounts of Yuan for similar scores back when the game first came out. If anything, it looks like they may have increased the rate of pay a little.
I'm not misremembering, I had version 1.0 up until last month, I was getting much higher pay, it must have been patched out very early on by the looks of it

Back