Steam page is live!

I'm going to guess now with the Deep Silver collaboration and they handling all the marketing, we will start seeing a lot more advertising and images ect this upcoming year to promote the game in all sorts of different sites/outlets. They probably feel is not all necessary to put on the KS? Just a guess.

I'm feeling pretty good about how things are shaping up, and still have a hard time fathoming that after 17 years, we'll get to see some progress on Ryo's story

They just released new images to Steam before releasing them to the backers, the press, etc. How does that happen? I know that the people running the Kickstarter aren't the same people who are putting the Steam page together, but it's just weird.
My guess would be whoever was responsible for putting the Steam page together simply provided select material they have at their disposal, two examples of which happen to be never-seen-before images. As far as I'm aware, it's an automated process, so it's pick-and-choose and we got lucky.

qafxts6.jpg

Ryo VS Neo Ryo

Left side a rough sketch of what it looks like with arcade lights removed.

Is that a sequel to a game(Excite qte 3) within a game sequel I'm seeing...?

That's a first. Oh Yu...:LOL:

On another note...I knew a visionary like Yu can pull it off. The game is coming together. My confidence is more solid now. I like how this project has taken consumer/fans on a visual trip through the agile methodology(warts and all) of game development. Each iteration improving with each showing.(y)

Hope people is archiving and preserving these memories for future gens. ;)

Just seen on the store (don’t know if it was mentioned or not) but Deep Silver games are on offer this weekend on the steam store which explains the release - it’s a hey guys we’re going to be getting a lot of eyeballs on this, can we have a few of your best screens to advertise Shenmue.

So I wouldn’t worry about the lack of fan fare of these shots from a purely Shenmue perspective.

Before i was sure SIII was gonna be a light indie game (this was pre Deep Silver) but now i can see this being atleast AA in the style of Hellblade. Thanks to middleware engines like UE4, you can achieve amazing visuals without a collosal budget and it helps that YS net has a amazing art direction/team.

I really like the look. It's interesting that with Shenmue I, their goal was to make the most realistic looking game possible at the time. With Shenmue III, that's clearly no longer the objective -- and I don't think this is purely a budgetary decision as modern engines can deliver photorealism on a budget (Kingdom Come, for example).

The art style to me feels like a modern rendition of the vibrance and atmosphere found in Shenmue II. They've really tried to keep the previous games as a baseline, as opposed to going strictly in a physically based rendering direction. Obviously the texture work is a lot more realistic in general, but it's more hyper-realistic than photorealistic. Colours are extremely vivid, the lighting/shadow is intense and exaggerated, and of course the characters are stylised in that "80% realistic, 20% anime" sort of way that you see in a lot of Japanese productions. I think it's looking great so far.

It wouldn't be a discussion about Shenmue III without character model Photoshops.

ryoalternate_comp4zdeh.jpg

Very minor changes. Would be absolutely 100% fine with the Ryo model on the left, but I was curious what I'd end up with if I tried removing my own personal nitpicks on proportions.

Indeed, it's MUCH better like this.

Fuck, why didn't I see this ? This looks like the Ryo we should have. Everything comes up into a whole (hopefully isn't just photoshopping).
Also the lighting doesn't work like that, it would have a specular tinted glow if it was the case of just lighting. Even in the case of SSS you can set difussion profiles to them. It has been lightened/browned, It'll be apparent in areas with more light. I don't really mind, kinda fits him.
Shenhua on the other hand, hopefully it's just color compensation while making the shot.

Just an amazing update to the characters, it's a new take on the artstyle, but now I can say I'm really digging it.

Yup, this looks like a Ryo Hazuki I could actually live with. Fantastic work with recreating S2's vibrant and "humid" color scheme by the way. Credit where credit is due.

Also an interesting side-note: The way Ryo jabs looks completely different from S1 and 2. While S1 and 2 was more like a "Karate Style" punch, he now jabs very much like a (western) boxer would, with the head slidely tilted forward, the left shoulder and right hand up to protect the chin while jabbing.

I've always loved how Ryo incoporated moves from different styles into his own portfolio and I've also always liked the idea of someone teaching him some skills from western boxing like jabbing, evasion, legwork and so on for instamce.

Also an interesting side-note: The way Ryo jabs looks completely different from S1 and 2. While S1 and 2 was more like a "Karate Style" punch, he now jabs very much like a (western) boxer would, with the head slidely tilted forward, the left shoulder and right hand up to protect the chin while jabbing.

I recall hearing that Masaya Matsukaze had stated that a boxer was doing the motion capture for Ryo in Shenmue III. I think he made this statement at a recent con in the U.S., but I only read someone else's description of the statement and haven't read or seen a primary source on this.

This could be due to the fact that he's playing a western style boxing game. I wouldn't put it past Suzuki to incorporate little details like that in.

I recall hearing that Masaya Matsukaze had stated that a boxer was doing the motion capture for Ryo in Shenmue III. I think he made this statement at a recent con in the U.S.
Before anyone gets too worried by this, the rumour originates from a random comment under an IGN article and to my knowledge it's the only account of the statement. There's no actual record or evidence of Matsukaze ever saying this.

Last edited:
This could be due to the fact that he's playing a western style boxing game. I wouldn't put it past Suzuki to incorporate little details like that in.

Or it might just be an opportunity to reuse an animation that was primary intended to be incorporated in some street fighter.

We've already seen Ryo throw some pretty impressive kicks in the trailers so I can't say I'm worried.

I don't think the QTE Title screenshot is a 100% accurate representation of what we're going to get in-game. There is zero aliasing, even around fine strands of hair (the survey video was smooth but if you pause you can still see some aliasing), and the self-shadowing is extremely accurate (the ambient occlusion around Ryo's face casting a shadow on his arm, for example). I have no doubt they're in-game assets and probably running in-engine too, but they've cranked up the effects to smooth things out, as is typical for promotional screenshots. Basically any time a game has "in-engine" plastered on footage or screenshots, what they really mean is "we have turned everything up to 1000% percent and what you see would run at 1-2 frames per second on your average PC".

Back