Yu dodge a bullet wtih S3

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Bloodstain the second biggest gaming crowdfunded project is now having a fallout over another platform cancellations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/2368304

Limiting to one console + PC was prolly a well researched and thought out decision.

Also a real background in being a developer/programmer with connection to some of sega's best EX employees also saved Yu from dev shopping. As you'd know bloodstained had to bring in a new dev team to help with them get thro polishing crunch time atm. :(

Happens a lot when unfortunately platforms become redundant and outdated. Unfortunately, backers act quite entitled so it always seems to cause a controversy, but it's perfectly reasonable that Yooka-Laylee didn't make it out on the Wii U and the Wii U and Vita versions of Bloodstained have been cancelled. The Mac and Linux versions of Bloodstained are unfortunately just another casualty, but shit happens. If they need to cancel those versions in order to streamline development and get the game released in 2019, then so be it.

"Merry Christmas. Iga here. The game you backed almost four years ago is not coming to your platform. Fuck you very much and goodbye."
:ROFLMAO:

Class act. I know Iga is not to be blamed for this entirely but he tried to lure in extra backers by announcing that game for almost every platform on this planet. While not coming out on Vita and Wii U is understandable, this is a bit more surprising but still better than never getting the game finished I guess.

Bloodstained is a prime example of why one should always be wary of Kickstarter games which get announced on too many platforms. PC plus one or two consoles max is the way to go. But Bloodstained with PC, PS4, Xbone, Wii U (now Switch), Linux, Mac and Vita are way too much. Kind of reminds me of other Kickstarter disasters like Saber Rider and Elysian Shadows which were announced like 5 or 6 years ago and have never come out (yet?). Although, contrary to those games, I think Bloodstained will actually come out some day.

Or do PC only first for Kickstarter games and if the PC version is succesful enough, it will get console ports, like Slaps & Beans did for instance.

Haha I backed Elysian Shadows and Saber Rider. Fun times! :(

I do keep saying time and time again to people that you have to be wary of Kickstarters and understand the risks when you go in. It isn't a pre-ordering system. The issues involved are far more nuanced than 'kickstarter is a scam, fuck all crowdfunded projects' like some people act.

It’s a real shame when this happens.

I was a tiny bit worried that the PS5 would be out before Shenmue 3’s release for a while there. But August isn’t too far off from now.

The same kind of thing happened with Mighty No. 9. A small team develops a project for too many platforms and has to perform independent coding/ tweaking on each version. It's better for development to start off with one console and PC. If it's a huge success, then other platforms should be considered afterwards.

This makes me more happy that Yu Suzuki is releasing Shenmue 3 on PC and PS4. If it has to be only one console, the PS4 is the best bet for financial success and user adoption.

Last edited:
While I appreciate their honesty (got strung along for MN9 for Vita, which they still won't admit isn't being made), it's frustrating how much they overestimated their abilities. Based on the demo I still think the final game will be good, though. I won't lie and say I'm not at all worried for Shenmue 3, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Suzuki is the best man for the circumstances and ambition.

Oh and I reported the Bloodstained Kickstarter, I suggest everyone else do the same. Despite how I feel about the game and the dev team, and how I intend to play on Windows, as a business practice this is completely unacceptable. If you can't make good on your promise of a Linux/Mac version, fine. You can't keep people's money AND not offer them the product they gave you funding for. It's one or the other.

If you want to report, just go to this game and scroll down to the very bottom. There will be a box that says "Report this project to Kickstarter". I like to think with enough pressure from enough people, they'll do the right thing and offer refunds to the Mac and Linux backers.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Last edited:
What’s funny/sad is how much people attacked the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter because of how well the Bloodstained Kickstarter was run. Seems like things are starting to unravel at a steady pace for Bloodstained. Crowdfunding is tough.

Not trying to diss Iga or Inafune but I think they are tripping up because their project was promising untested endeavor as they got more funding while the hype prolly blind-sided em.

Everything Yu offered on Kick starter was things he was sure he can deliver if goals were met. And the 10m$ he was upfront with was the end goal of his OG S3 vision. No untested Ideas for S3 was promised as funding came in and Yu made sure not to bite off moar than he can chew. Keeping his platform choices tight, :oops:

Saber Rider did come out, finally (or very close). Regret not backing it, but hope to buy the retail release, if there is a small batch on Bit Station or VGNY or Play Asia. Slacker backed Elysian Shadows. Still looks too promising to pass and I'm actually excited to see them finally finish, but not holding my breath.

I don't know what's the problem with doing MN9 to vita, Unity handles multiplatforms great (fuck Apple asking to buy a mac to get xcode though).

Saber Rider did come out, finally (or very close). Regret not backing it, but hope to buy the retail release, if there is a small batch on Bit Station or VGNY or Play Asia. Slacker backed Elysian Shadows. Still looks too promising to pass and I'm actually excited to see them finally finish, but not holding my breath.

It was announced a while back that RushOnGame.com will be publishing the retail release for Dreamcast and Switch. I think they will have pre-orders live a month or two before release.

While I appreciate their honesty (got strung along for MN9 for Vita, which they still won't admit isn't being made), it's frustrating how much they overestimated their abilities. Based on the demo I still think the final game will be good, though. I won't lie and say I'm not at all worried for Shenmue 3, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Suzuki is the best man for the circumstances and ambition.

Oh and I reported the Bloodstained Kickstarter, I suggest everyone else do the same. Despite how I feel about the game and the dev team, and how I intend to play on Windows, as a business practice this is completely unacceptable. If you can't make good on your promise of a Linux/Mac version, fine. You can't keep people's money AND not offer them the product they gave you funding for. It's one or the other.

If you want to report, just go to this game and scroll down to the very bottom. There will be a box that says "Report this project to Kickstarter". I like to think with enough pressure from enough people, they'll do the right thing and offer refunds to the Mac and Linux backers.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Yeah... That's not how kickstarter works. Asking for a refund is pretty shitty in my opinion. Also, https://www.kickstarter.com/rules?ref=global-footer

I'm still waiting for a refund on Elite:Dangerous after their "DRM-free game with offline mode" turned out to be online-only with DRM. Good luck getting a refund on something merely failing to reach a certain platform...

I've had my fair share of qualms with the lack of information and questionable trailers, but I'm more confident in Shenmue III of late.

Bloodstained has had a few black marks in recent months and still has no definitive release date beyond "2019". This is for a game funded BEFORE Shenmue III came onto the scene.

They also just brought in an entire studio to help, which tells me(regardless of The Spin they put on WHY they came in) that things are not all rosy in the land of Igarashi.

Shenmue III has a few things going for it--no platform bloat, clear and concise goals and a true visionary at the helm.

Sony also invested as a publisher(and possibly some minor funding)--they are the undisputed console king right now of the Big 3.

They have a connection with what gamers want to see(beyond Cross Play, though they seem to be rectifying that arrogant miscalculation slowly).

Having them stake a claim on the highest profile Kickstarter to date suggests they are willing to bet their reputation on it, so I have high hopes it will succeed.

They've been very quiet, but with good reason. A lot is riding on this being a good game; if the highest funded KS game ever drops the ball, it damages crowdfunding in a major way. I just don't see it happening.

They've been very quiet, but with good reason. A lot is riding on this being a good game; if the highest funded KS game ever drops the ball, it damages crowdfunding in a major way. I just don't see it happening.

Very true. Also as it's Shenmue there is (imo) a massive level of scrutiny/media wanting to jump on the Shenmue sucks bandwagon. So by staying quiet they've avoided most of it barring the 2017 trailer, which looking back was an error. I got the impression at that stage something had to be shown almost against Yu's wishes.

Hopefully 2019 comes and Shenmue 3 blows things out of the water and makes the largest crowded funded game a commercial and critical success. Big firms are behind this so there's every chance of it doing so with the right marketing. That and we all know lots of us will buy multiple copies!

There have been positives and negatives to both projects so far I feel. Bloodstained has kept backers in the loop more (I feel), provided playable demos and has already released one part of the project (the prequel game), which was fantastic, but there has been more issues with development and ports being cancelled. That said, despite these issues, I'm positive it will be a fantastic game.

Shenmue 3 has felt incredibly amateur at times and I personally haven't always appreciated the long periods of silence, lack of concrete information and the - at times - feeling that they weren't being up front or transparent with the development progress. That said, we finally have a concrete release date and I'm incredibly positive that the game will be phenomenal.

Yeah... That's not how kickstarter works. Asking for a refund is pretty shitty in my opinion. Also, https://www.kickstarter.com/rules?ref=global-footer

Pretty shitty how?
Kickstarter actually claims that creators should refund any backer whose reward they do not fulfill: https://ksr-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/creator-responsibility.png ... which is exactly what they are doing.

They are not even simply delaying their versions. If Linux & Mac are not worth the effort, then refund their users money.

Pretty shitty how?
Kickstarter actually claims that creators should refund any backer whose reward they do not fulfill: https://ksr-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/creator-responsibility.png ... which is exactly what they are doing.

They are not even simply delaying their versions. If Linux & Mac are not worth the effort, then refund their users money.

Except, they are getting their reward. They just have to select a different platform.

Edit: Btw I backed for the Wii U version. Didn't demand a refund...

Last edited:
Except, they are getting their reward. They just have to select a different platform.

Edit: Btw I backed for the Wii U version. Didn't demand a refund...

I don't think they are: Screenshot_20181231_130226.png

If not then I suppose that in this case : Screenshot_20181231_130904.png if they get a signed copy, just not by Yu Suzuki but by a different person, they would be getting their reward too.

Back