Yu dodge a bullet wtih S3

It says there in black and white a digital copy of the game for XBox One, PS4 OR Steam. It's still being provided on Steam. A digital copy of the game is still being offered.

Haha I backed Elysian Shadows and Saber Rider. Fun times! :(

I do keep saying time and time again to people that you have to be wary of Kickstarters and understand the risks when you go in. It isn't a pre-ordering system. The issues involved are far more nuanced than 'kickstarter is a scam, fuck all crowdfunded projects' like some people act.

I backed ES too... its a shame, as they appeared to have gotten a bit of headway too.

To be fair to ES, Falco is still posting regular updates on social media (he is avoiding KS altogether, because of the huge backlash). After his partner/colleague ran off, taking all his work with him, he has since got some new people helping out with the game, so it still is very much in development. The project is a textbook example of when crowdfunding goes wrong though.

Anyone who thinks Kickstarters are obligated to meet every expectation of the campaign are sadly mistaken.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Read the "Risks and Challenges"

Darkness lurks around every corner, seeking to corrupt all that it touches. The world is torn between those in power and those the powerful would destroy, and both sides are held in thrall by the demons lust and avarice. Games get delayed sometimes, and it would be dishonest of us to promise you this one won't be.

But Inti Creates has shipped more than 30 games on eight different platforms, and Koji Igarashi personally oversaw the production and design of one of Japan's most legendary franchises. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is the kind of game they love to make, and they've got a lot of experience making them.

Between us, the people behind this Kickstarter have helped to launch and fulfill several of the biggest, most complicated gaming Kickstarters ever launched. We've spent months trying to get this one right because we believe in the game (and really, really want to play it.) We’re certain the game will be made, and that you’ll get all the rewards you’ve backed for.

IGA has worked for more than a year to prepare and gather support for this game because fans have asked him for it. Now that he's come to you for help, his goal is to make the game you've been waiting for. By backing this campaign, you'll become a part of the process. During and after the campaign he hopes to keep you involved, whether it's voting on swords and whips, telling us how you play his games—as fast as possible, or exploring every hidden passage—or helping us find the perfect style for the graphics.

Finally, the possibility exists that a man scarred by unfeeling, power-mad alchemists could summon a hell-castle filled with demons across the street from Inti Creates headquarters in Tokyo. IGA has as much experience handling that risk as any game designer on earth, but we estimate that it might set production back slightly (depending on whether or not he's allowed to backdash).

Learn about accountability on Kickstarter

False entitlement is what you're exhibiting, but go complain to Kickstarter about how you didn't read how Kickstarter works.

It says there in black and white a digital copy of the game for XBox One, PS4 OR Steam. It's still being provided on Steam. A digital copy of the game is still being offered.

Beating a dead horse, but you choose to ignore that it clearly says PC/Mac/Linux. Maybe the platform is not important for you, but maybe that's not the case for everybody. By the same logic, let's also ignore that it says Yu Suzuki in the signed edition reward because a signed copy "is still being offered" (by Cedric Biscay or something).

This is what I like about Suzuki-sama he's ambitious but doesn't overreach himself. He's told us time and time again to keep our expectations in check and he's releasing his game on two platforms. He isn't like Inafune with Mighty No 9 who tried to release his game on ten different platforms spreading Inti Creates efforts thin thus not giving the team enough time and money to optimize each port.

He's been forthright from the very beginning and maintained constant communication with backers even if they were just minor updates. He may not have given everybody what they want (the logo for example) but he was listening.

I have complete faith in Yu that he'll deliver the best possible Shenmue experience. So I wouldn't say he dodged a bullet, more like he was smart enough to keep his nose to the grindstone and give players what they want without overpromising anything.

Last edited:
He simply strikes me as a very humble man who is wholly dedicated to his craft.

I mean, think about what he has been through--imagine having no means to make your innovative series continue, despite growing pleas for almost 20 years.

Sony finally acquiesces to your request, assuming you take a gamble on the crowdfunding platform. So you have modest hopes to make something, even small, happen and it explodes.

He went from a small story game to a fully-fledged sequel that he and probably many of us once thought was teetering on the impossible year after year.

It is no wonder he is working 6 day weeks and keeping quiet.

Didn't Rockstar had a sort of bad PR fallout because of this work ethic 4 RDR2?o_O

Yu is well into his 60's now. I hope his health doesn't tank over SIII.:eek:
Yes they did. Kotaku ran a large article on it. How true it is, well I've no idea but rockstar were not painted in a good light.

Didn't Rockstar had a sort of bad PR fallout because of this work ethic 4 RDR2?o_O

Yu is well into his 60's now. I hope his health doesn't tank over SIII.:eek:

Yes they did. Kotaku ran a large article on it. How true it is, well I've no idea but rockstar were not painted in a good light.
The only one confirmed to be working those kinds of hours is Yu himself.

He's the head of the studio, so ultimately the decision to work that much is his own. There's nobody above him to point the finger at. Not saying it's right, or even healthy, but if Yu thinks he needs to put that much time in to see Shenmue III to completion, there's nothing anybody can really do about it.

I just hope, even if he does want to jump right into Shenmue IV production, he gets a vacation after III releases.

I'm pretty glad stories of Yu sleeping at the office and working weekends haven't caught on. The last thing we need is a hypocritical raking over from the games press about the hours, while they say "sHeNmUe IiI lOoKs GaRbAgE!!!!" out the other side of their mouth.

I think there's a belief (that's likely true) that the work ethic in Japan is a little more rigorous than the work ethic in the West.

It is unhealthy, and it is prevalent in the games industry, to work excessively long hours. Typically I expect people in a field somewhat regarded as "nerdy" (no offense intended) to take science seriously. But in spite of numerous scientific studies that have demonstrated that working long hours actually harms productivity and efficiency, the practice persists in game development and that's the primary reason why I took my talents to a different industry.

On the whole, it's not a great way of working at all.

But some can thrive under those conditions, and Yu just might be one of those people. Either by nature or nurture (thanks to his time at SEGA), it may just be his method. It doesn't help he has to run the studio too, though. I expect the more extreme end of his working hours can be attributed to essential duties outside just making Shenmue III.

We've seen other staff can work into the evening (Dev Room #2 video), but after the anecdote about Yu working all night and catching up with naps during the day, I'd personally say it sounds like he's the only one on such an extreme a schedule. The studio would still have to function normally during the day to allow Yu the breaks in the schedule between meetings and play-checking to take a nap.

It all goes back to what we've always known; the weight of Shenmue III rests heavily on Yu's shoulders. Not even just in a metaphorical sense, but the toll of the work too. It makes me glad that fans turn out to greet Yu when he makes a public appearance, because that kind of morale boost is invaluable.

You can see why tokens and gifts from fans are all around the Ys Net office.

I think it varies from person to person.

I (a programmer) personally find it can be useful and effective. Often you just have to be in the right state of mind to do any real work - when I'm not feeling it, working any number of hours is a waste because it's just going to be a slog; however, when I'm "in the zone" I can often work more than 24 hours at a time comfortably and do the equivalent of a couple of weeks' work in that period.

Not everyone is like that, and I'm lucky to have a job with a rather loose schedule that allows me to work this way, without forcing it upon anyone - most components are done to requirements by individuals, so it's just a case of meeting deadlines and having consistent progress.

That said, a lot of places expect long hours even with an unproductive mindset, and that just leads to that mindset sticking around and further reducing efficiency. It has to be something the worker chooses, and it has to show benefits over a standard 8-hour work day; otherwise it's no good.

Amazing post Spaghetti. Yeah this is why I have supreme faith in the game being excellent. Even if it only has a glimmer of greatness, the greatness is going to be there purely from Yu's intense and arduous application of effort and his ambitious reach for greatness, which is the central reason we all love Shenmue 1 and 2 in the first place. There's so much riding on the game particularly with Yu's absence from game development but I am confident he's going to produce something great here - even if it shoots for greatness and lands somewhere in the region of good. The game will have charm. Soul. The story will be phenomenal. I just hope our hopes are validated with a great game because the fate of Shenmue 4 is at stake.

He's giving absolutely everything he has to this - and I think that's going to reflected in the final game. It's going to be good.

Even kickstarter's rep will be riding on the coat-tails of Shenmue 3 as well. If the game pull off the miracle it's aiming for & put Yu suzuki back on the radar as a household name...SEGA needs to let him finish the saga with full backing. Even Nintendo didn't let Miyamoto dry off when they were at their weakest market performance.:cautious:

I feel bad for Suzuki, sleep privation is the worst thing you can do for the mind and body, a lot of bad things occurs when you keep on sleeping few hours and go to bed late.

I hope he gets a well deserve holidays and in the meanwhile till august has some good rest everyday.

I think that Bloodstained may right their ship, also.

It's clear they bit off too much in platforms, but the stuff that they have released has been well received.

For Shenmue III, I'm ready to see a fully voiced trailer, complete with character models that silence the copious naysayers from all the other reveals.

I'm very interested in the voices considering Corey's recent remarks on Ryos depth.

The biggest question mark for me is whether or not we get all of the stretch goals in the expanded budget. Yu has said we will get the full experience, but it has never been explicitly confirmed.

On the whole, it's not a great way of working at all.

But some can thrive under those conditions, and Yu just might be one of those people. Either by nature or nurture (thanks to his time at SEGA), it may just be his method. It doesn't help he has to run the studio too, though. I expect the more extreme end of his working hours can be attributed to essential duties outside just making Shenmue III.

We've seen other staff can work into the evening (Dev Room #2 video), but after the anecdote about Yu working all night and catching up with naps during the day, I'd personally say it sounds like he's the only one on such an extreme a schedule. The studio would still have to function normally during the day to allow Yu the breaks in the schedule between meetings and play-checking to take a nap.

It all goes back to what we've always known; the weight of Shenmue III rests heavily on Yu's shoulders. Not even just in a metaphorical sense, but the toll of the work too. It makes me glad that fans turn out to greet Yu when he makes a public appearance, because that kind of morale boost is invaluable.

You can see why tokens and gifts from fans are all around the Ys Net office.

Don't forget how he takes time out of his schedule to do various interviews as well. People also forget that Yu is a husband and a father which is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. Also, I don't think it's just Shenmue 3 that is riding on his shoulders the entirety of Shenmue's future also rests on his shoulders as well.

Yet despite this tremendous amount of pressure on his shoulders he still maintains a humble attitude in public to his fans. Taking all this in stride at his age requires a tremendous amount of psychological fortitude. On top of not selling out his artistic vision causes me to have a tremendous amount of respect for him. He could've easily rested on his laurels for his status in gaming history is already cemented. But no he wanted to do something for his loyal Shenmue fanbase.

This is why I'll do everything in my power to support Shenmue 3 when it's released. It's the least I can do for a man who's sacrificed so much for others.

Last edited:
Back