What are you playing?

Resident Evil 2 Remake.

I just can't put the controller down! I'm playing Leon A and have just arrived at the Umbrella lab. Having a small break, then intend to pour a glass of wine and jump back in.

Whatever trepidation I had is gone. If this is the level of quality I can expect from future RE games, I want Capcom to remake more than just RE3.

Yeah I am playing it too and it is AMAZING. I didn't think I would like it this much. I am enjoying this just as much as the original game when I played it back in 1998. I hope they do 3 and Code Veronica as well. A Dino Crisis remake would be great too.

Resident Evil 2 is what I'm also playing. I only had a chance to play it for about 30 minutes so far but I was very impressed. Capcom really did a phenomenal job with this game.

Completed Leon A and now deep into Claire B.

I really love this sassy iteration of Claire. Her reactions are just great and always have me cracking a smile - not sure if that's intentional.

I did just witness perhaps the most disturbing thing ever encountered in a Resident Evil game, and not for the reasons you'd probably expect. Its a very mild diary spoiler not crucial to the plot, but I'll still censor it for those who haven't beaten Claire's campaign.
So yeah, that taxidermy notebook you find in Chief Irons's office contains a diary entry where he gushes about how when he sliced open a deer and saw its guts spill out he nearly came hard. Erm...EWW?!!!

Not only is that just all kinds of fucked up, but need I remind you that Chief Irons looks like this:
Re2R_-_Irons.png

Apologies for that awful visual. Here, take some of this.
1kuwti.jpg

Hollow Knight. Great game, but my fucking god do I hate the fast travel system. There were rumblings about the ability to fast travel between benches in an update, but that never materialised. Such a blight on an otherwise great experience.

Just like the last 11/12 posts (or something like that), I'm digging into RE2. It's great thus far, and a good showing that you can mesh the older survival horror feel with the OTS camera of the newer ones.

I am also playing RE 2 just now. Finished Leon A yesterday and tonight I will get into the Claire Run. The Game is ust great. the perfect mixiture of old and new. Capcom did a amazing job to bring the old RE I love back to live.

Also playing RE2, I'm a little over 4 hours into Leon A and I'm only at the part...
...where I've gotten both electronic parts to access Ben's cell and my herb/ammo is in a bad way.

42xryVp.jpg

I thought I was doing well conserving bullets/not killing zombies and lickers but it game me a lot of problems trying to get away from Mr X so on balance I'm not sure if I'd have been better off clearing at least a couple of the looping corridors. Moving the bookshelves was especially bad with 4-5 zombies at the ladder and the big guy in pursuit.

Absolutely loving it though.

I'm super glad everyone is enjoying it, as old RE I absolutely love (CV is my favourite by far, 2 is second), but everyone is saying how they are blown away and all that.

Just curious; why lol and what has you blown away?

If its the great art shift to newer consoles, gotcha. Even the new gameplay mechanics, make sense. But the story is still RE2; have people forgotten how the game's plot unfolds?

Just wondering!

Also playing RE2, I'm a little over 4 hours into Leon A and I'm only at the part...
...where I've gotten both electronic parts to access Ben's cell and my herb/ammo is in a bad way.

42xryVp.jpg

I thought I was doing well conserving bullets/not killing zombies and lickers but it game me a lot of problems trying to get away from Mr X so on balance I'm not sure if I'd have been better off clearing at least a couple of the looping corridors. Moving the bookshelves was especially bad with 4-5 zombies at the ladder and the big guy in pursuit.

Absolutely loving it though.
Is the game anything like the 4 and 5 where enemies drop herb and ammo?

Is the game anything like the 4 and 5 where enemies drop herb and ammo?

No. Besides the over the shoulder camera it is classic Resident evil though and though. Ammo and herbs are very rare and you cannot afford to blast every enemy that comes into your way.

I'm super glad everyone is enjoying it, as old RE I absolutely love (CV is my favourite by far, 2 is second), but everyone is saying how they are blown away and all that.

If its the great art shift to newer consoles, gotcha. Even the new gameplay mechanics, make sense. But the story is still RE2; have people forgotten how the game's plot unfolds?

Just wondering!

The game looks GORGEOUS (I'm playing on a PS4 Pro). It's been a while since I've really been blown away by how a game looks, especially one that takes place in a modern, urban setting (Red Dead 2 is equally as beautiful, but the art style and atmosphere are different, obviously). Aside from a few stiff animations here and there, the game looks amazing in motion too. The RE Engine really is something of beauty.

I was initially worried that the control scheme and overall re-done gameplay mechanics would negatively impact the Resident Evil 2 experience that I loved. It looks like RE4, 5, and 6, but thankfully and MIRACULOUSLY not only retains that true old-school RE feel, but enhances it incredibly. I beat my first playthrough with Leon last night, and the atmosphere and tension were extremely stressful for me, and I was playing this shit on Assisted Mode (easy) because I'm a straight bitch. Loved every second of it.

If I did have some issues, they would be with the presentation of certain key moments from the original game. I won't spoil anything, but there are those "classic" moments from the original RE2 that I was hoping would get the full remake treatment, but unfortunately, these moments just kind of happen in-game. I was really surprised and a little disappointed that they didn't get touched on a bit more. On the flip side of that though, there are other moments that are actually fleshed out a lot and more depth is given to certain characters. While they were memorable in the original, their moments in the remake really shine.

Just wondering!

I am blown way because Capcom made the impossible possible. I really though the old RE I loved was killed by Mikami with Re 4. Part 5 and 6 weren't better either. Re 7 was nice but still not the classic Re.

Then we got Re 2. Which is the revival of the classic horror features minus some alterations to please modern day gamers. But but besides the camera it looks and feels like the old RE from the 90s. and that's amazing. Never thought that might happen. Really though that the time of this type of games is over. Luckily I was wrong.

The game looks GORGEOUS (I'm playing on a PS4 Pro). It's been a while since I've really been blown away by how a game looks, especially one that takes place in a modern, urban setting (Red Dead 2 is equally as beautiful, but the art style and atmosphere are different, obviously). Aside from a few stiff animations here and there, the game looks amazing in motion too. The RE Engine really is something of beauty.

I was initially worried that the control scheme and overall re-done gameplay mechanics would negatively impact the Resident Evil 2 experience that I loved. It looks like RE4, 5, and 6, but thankfully and MIRACULOUSLY not only retains that true old-school RE feel, but enhances it incredibly. I beat my first playthrough with Leon last night, and the atmosphere and tension were extremely stressful for me, and I was playing this shit on Assisted Mode (easy) because I'm a straight bitch. Loved every second of it.

If I did have some issues, they would be with the presentation of certain key moments from the original game. I won't spoil anything, but there are those "classic" moments from the original RE2 that I was hoping would get the full remake treatment, but unfortunately, these moments just kind of happen in-game. I was really surprised and a little disappointed that they didn't get touched on a bit more. On the flip side of that though, there are other moments that are actually fleshed out a lot and more depth is given to certain characters. While they were memorable in the original, their moments in the remake really shine.

Wonderful, it is now making sense :)

I am blown way because Capcom made the impossible possible. I really though the old RE I loved was killed by Mikami with Re 4. Part 5 and 6 weren't better either. Re 7 was nice but still not the classic Re.

Then we got Re 2. Which is the revival of the classic horror features minus some alterations to please modern day gamers. But but besides the camera it looks and feels like the old RE from the 90s. and that's amazing. Never thought that might happen. Really though that the time of this type of games is over. Luckily I was wrong.

Remaking games into (possibly!) better versions than the originals, is sooooo not impossible lol.

I get that its rare to get the EXACT same feel (as you said, games such as these are not money cows like they used to be), but we've seen some damn good, if not better, remakes the past few years.

Yes, this is the first TRUE Resident Evil game since 0.

@Truck_1_0_1_ We are talking about Capcom and a series that was butchered by it's own creator from part 4 onwards. It was MIkami himself started the whole Shooter Madness. So it was not a save bet to assume the scrap the whole shooter concept that dominated the series for over a decade. The last classic RE title was 0. And zero is from 2002 or 2003.

Last edited:
My buddy just did a two hour speedrun already lol, definitely an old school game...

Yes, this is the first TRUE Resident Evil game since 0.

@Truck_1_0_1_ We are talking about Capcom and series that was butchered by it's own creature from part 4 onwards. It was MIkami himself started the whole Shooter Madness. So it was not a save bet to assume the scrap the whole shooter concept that dominated the series for over a decade. The last classic RE title was 0. And zero is from 2002 or 2003.

See, not to devolve into a discussion about, "what makes a RE game, an RE game," but 4, 5, 6 and 7 are ALL RE games, in spirit and otherwise.

They just aren't true, "Survival Horror," like the first 5 games in the series (well, 7 brings us back to that...), as they took on a more action concept.

But this doesn't make them any less of a RE game, nor does it not make them worthy additions to the series; 4, 5, 7 are GREAT games, 6 is... meh lol; there was just a shift in mechanics and genre, but they were still RE games and at heart.

I guess I'm seeing that everyone is happy that the game has gone back to its roots and that the root gameplay is done well.

That's all, I'm good!

See, not to devolve into a discussion about, "what makes a RE game, an RE game," but 4, 5, 6 and 7 are ALL RE games, in spirit and otherwise.

They just aren't true, "Survival Horror," like the first 5 games in the series (well, 7 brings us back to that...), as they took on a more action concept.

But this doesn't make them any less of a RE game, nor does it not make them worthy additions to the series; 4, 5, 7 are GREAT games, 6 is... meh lol; there was just a shift in mechanics and genre, but they were still RE games and at heart.

I think you summoned up my feelings nicely. Not all Resident Evils are survival horror, but all Resident Evils are Resident Evils. I'm not sure I'd say any mainline titles didn't "feel" like Resident Evil to me in terms of their approach to story telling, plot, and characters. I adored my first RE way back on the Saturn, my favorite is probably 4, but I've loved the series whether it's the fixed camera angle games, the OTS shooters, or 2017's venture into first person. I'll even defend 6 in a lot of ways: it was a great co-op experience with an incredible amount of content and possibly the best Mercenaries gameplay we've seen, and it was simply cool to see all of these classic RE characters interacting.

But I digress as well! I could ramble about RE for a while, it's definitely a favorite series of mine.

Back