What if Shenmue 3 Fails?

Will you stay in the Dojo?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
One of the biggest reason we all joined the Dojo, was because we wanted to see a Shenmue 3 and show that there was a fan-base. I remember joining back on the old site, "different username" I didn't post much? Way before the Kick-Starter was even a thing.

Now let me state that I do not think that this game is going to fail, but I must ask the question what if it does? What if the game is awesome but the story falls flat? What if the story is amazing but the gameplay is trash? Will you stay in the dojo just for Shenmue 1 and 2? Exactly how it was before the kickstarter, or will you just move on?

In my short time back here in the dojo I have had fun getting to know the other Shenmue fans here on the forums. I use to be apart of another forum for another game "Also under a different username" but as the game changed the forums changed to the point where they are a vacant lot of nothing, I hope that the Dojo does not fall to the same fate, if Shenmue 3 does not meet expectations.

How do you think people will react if it sucks, will it become the next mighty #9? I hope not.

How do you think people will react if it succeeds expectations? Shenmue 4 I hope so!

Sorry for the pessimistic thread, just wanted to see opinions?

I've been a member here since 04, and that's because I fell in love with the first two games. I remember logging on to talk Shenmue, and just life in general. Shenmue 3 was just something we all hoped for, year after year. Not the original reason I signed up.

It's the love of the series that brought me here, and will keep me here. Regardless if Shenmue 3 is successful or not.

I signed up back in 07 again because of the first two games, knowing full well 3 was a dream.

If Shenmue 3 did fail I'd still be here talking all things Shenmue. I've been lucky to have met some awesome people because of the franchise and that alone would keep me around.

Being a lurker for years and though only being registered for less than a year, I was nonetheless quickly convinced of the constant goodness, warmth, and insights of this community; I'll stick around as long as the dojo doors are unlocked.

Even if 3 bombs (I doubt it), at least that's something to discuss for awhile!

Last edited:
I joined the dojo to discuss about Shenmue in General just not about 3. So I will stay here and talk about one of my favourite gaming series of all time. No matter what happens to 3.

The only Thing important to me is if I enjoy the game or not. I am not the General public. If I like the game, which is quite likely I will be fine.

I think the same goes for most other fans. Most fans will like it I guess and the general public will react the same way as they did with 1 and 2. Some will like it and some won't like it.

The soundtrack is what got me here many moons ago. I lurked and lurked, kept the passion for a third entry for all those years, same as many here.

I finally plunged and joined and plan to stay after. I don't see Shenmue III failing per se, especially given Cedric's comments on SIV recently.

Realistically, we are already winners. What a success story we have to share, a resurrection that is something very few can say they've done for any medium.

The Surge soda is probably the closest thing I can think of, where a niche audience brought something back into the limelight after ages gone by.

Even if the game itself is a complete trainwreck, I'm sure it will develop plenty of conversation!

But I agree with Valascaziel, We've already succeeded in making Shenmue III a reality! That in itself is still a huge accomplishment which I'm very proud to be part of.

At the worst case scenario, I imagine we'd have plenty of speculation to what a Shenmue IV could offer - Much like we have done so on the Dojo for years regarding the dream of a Shenmue III :)

I'm sure I'll pop by from time to time, especially when I am at work a I often listen to the Shenmue Soundtrack and ponder things about the series :p

The Dojo community became more than just a gathering of Shenmue fans. Most of us essentially “grew up together” despite being in different parts of the world.

Shenmue may have brought us together, but Shenmue III is nowhere near enough to tear us apart.

(Change some unenforced rules though and watch the drama unfold...)

Honestly though, I’ve been part of forums with a strong sense of community before, but this lot? Fucking @Sailors? got in touch yesterday to offer me a ticket to a comedy gig, and we’ve never even met. @Kenny and I are essentially long-distance colleagues. @Peter agonised for tiiime over upgrading the forum, just in case he upset people ffs!

This place is so much more than it’s namesake. Between never seeing the end of the series and never speaking to anyone on here again, I’d bet on the majority opting for the former.

And if I put a poll up n you all prove me wrong I’m gonna sneak QWERTY & TEEPO back in.

I don't see why I would leave if Shenmue 3 fails it doesn't change my love for this franchise and sharing it with my fellow fans. That's like asking me once the Shenmue story ends will I leave the dojo. Honestly I feel at home here, I don't agree with everything that's said and there are topics here I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole but I enjoy the camaraderie. Growing up I had no idea that Shenmue meant so much to so many people and to be in a community that loves and appreciates these games even more then I do is heartwarming to say the least. So no, I am not going anywhere at all.

Also while I doubt Shenmue 3 will fail let's all put our best foot forward to support it regardless. Because even if it doesn't make its expected sales returns if we can show a strong interest in it then the game could become a niche franchise in order to stay alive. After all Cedric did say that if three fails there's a fifty-fifty shot for a fourth game right? That's a hell of a number compared to a few years ago.

I haven't been here too long. But I have lurked long enough to see this place remain active even when there was no Shenmue III to speak off. So I can't imagine this place imploding IF Shenmue III fails.

If that should happen, I imagine this place would still be fighting against all hope for Shenmue IV ;)

Depends what you mean by stay...

The Shenmue I and II originals failed and during the "dark ages" I would stop by here and there...who knows...not even thinking of failure at this point...let's think positive...we did the hard part...saved Shenmue I, II, and III for modern systems...imagine all the new platforms we can promote these on well into the future...and we still have a saga to save...

Stay dreaming...

The Dojo community became more than just a gathering of Shenmue fans. Most of us essentially “grew up together” despite being in different parts of the world.

Shenmue may have brought us together, but Shenmue III is nowhere near enough to tear us apart.

(Change some unenforced rules though and watch the drama unfold...)

Honestly though, I’ve been part of forums with a strong sense of community before, but this lot? Fucking @Sailors? got in touch yesterday to offer me a ticket to a comedy gig, and we’ve never even met. @Kenny and I are essentially long-distance colleagues. @Peter agonised for tiiime over upgrading the forum, just in case he upset people ffs!

This place is so much more than it’s namesake. Between never seeing the end of the series and never speaking to anyone on here again, I’d bet on the majority opting for the former.

And if I put a poll up n you all prove me wrong I’m gonna sneak QWERTY & TEEPO back in.

Unfortunately to this very day (well, yesterday) I still get private messages from people who wont come here, or express utter disgust that I own the place and this place is now dead because of it. This place will always live on, and will still be here in 20 years time in some shape or form. Probably not under my ownership, but I am sure someone will come along and follow in my footsteps.

Unfortunately to this very day (well, yesterday) I still get private messages from people who wont come here, or express utter disgust that I own the place and this place is now dead because of it. This place will always live on, and will still be here in 20 years time in some shape or form. Probably not under my ownership, but I am sure someone will come along and follow in my footsteps.
You're doing great Peter. No matter what a person does in life, there will allways be haters.
Well, I say fuck them!
We don't need everybody here. We only need the ones who like to be here. Nobody is doing you a favour by being in this site, people regiter because they want to.
This is a site about shenmue, not about its owners whoever they are.

Bleedin ell, this place still refuses to let go of the drama dun’t it? ?

I’m not gonna lie, I do miss the old crowd. @Mr. OL, @Riku Rose, and @Kenny had some good contributions to discussions (along with countless others), but the place is defo more active than it was the year or two prior to the relaunch. And yeah, I know there was that temporary boom when Shenmue III got announced, but it waned not too long after.

The new site is such a vast improvement it’s unreal. On top of that, anyone who’s got a problem with your ownership is obviously holding onto past grudges. Whilst I still reckon the situation with Ziming was slightly harsh (read/heard both sides, so I do understand why), there’s no denying that you’ve made changes for the better. Plus you rarely ever post or put the (ban) hammer down, so I really don’t see what the problem is with you being in charge.

Ah well, at least I like it. And let’s face it, that’s all that’s ever mattered really.

I would definitely hang out for awhile at least to continue discussing the games. But even then, the unrelenting feeling that Shenmue 4 could still happen somehow would burn in me and probably keep me here...

I clicked 'no' by accident. Fuck!

I can find absolutely no logical reason behind leaving the Dojo on account of Shenmue III's hypothetical failure. If anything, it will create a multitude of discussion points that I am sure will keep us around for the foreseeable future. Besides, Shenmue isn't just Shenmue III - I still love the originals and I can't see that changing due to the latest title failing to meet expectations.

Back