What if Shenmue 3 Fails?

Will you stay in the Dojo?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
If we don't get any sequel, Then Shenmue 1's bad ending will be the true ending of the franchise.

"Ryo wanted to avenge his father, but he wasted too much time playing video games that it stopped him from making any progress. As the result Lan Di returned and killed him."

Moral of the story: Letting fun activities controlling your life won't get you anywhere.

The End.

12/2019: What is "Shenmue III fails"?

The YT video compilation of the playthrough where you failed every god damn first attempt at any of the QTEs even though you opted for "story mode" showcasing your failure as a human being.

Anywho ... We'll be getting IV. In the meantime there are the DLCs *drools*. If anything there's been a steady increase in members joining here, the party is still on 18 years later which is rather heart warming.

Unless Shenmue 3 sold abysmally, it's kind of a sure thing Shenmue 4 is going to happen.
They'll just have to pull a Final Fantasy 13 and just make minor tweaks to future sequels.
Though... I don't quite think Shenmue 4 will have half the budget of Shenmue 3.

Pretty much the same. Suzuki was ready to make Shenmue 3 with only $2 million. The question now is more about the look the game design may have: an interactive movie, a complete ripoff of Shenmue 3 with different environments or a game with slight or substantial improvements. Also, whether it ends the saga or not.

The only cause that would make Shenmue 4 not happen seems to be the player reactions (i.e. if enough people are willing to buy the same type of game in three or four years). But as far as I know, there're not enough negative critics to ensure a consensus.

I signed up to the old forums in '04, posted a bit, then lurked for a good 5 or so years. I made a return to actually posting when the new site went live, and I can't see that changing anytime soon. If IV was written off as "unlikely" by those involved I'm sure this place'd slow down but it'll never go away.

Shenmue is a series and it's history/lore/development all enrich the experience for me. Whenever I search for something Shenmue the Dojo usually has a hand or effect in its legitimacy. The website is either a resource or an historic monument depending on your 'glass empty/full' sensibilities. Me trying to be positive I would argue is both. It's a great community as well. Keep doing it until the passion fades then pass the baton to future generations. Much respect.

Shenmue is a series and it's history/lore/development all enrich the experience for me. Whenever I search for something Shenmue the Dojo usually has a hand or effect in its legitimacy. The website is either a resource or an historic monument depending on your 'glass empty/full' sensibilities. Me trying to be positive I would argue is both. It's a great community as well. Keep doing it until the passion fades then pass the baton to future generations. Much respect.

Great post. Welcome to the dojo gamesbloke

Awesome post. Welcome to the forums. Where/when did you first come across Shenmue?

Not every commercial successful game gets a sequel and some not so successful games got sequels. So the entry question is not really valid in my humble opinion. If the responsible people in the management and Yu Suzuki wants another entry it is going to happen. In that regard it does not really matter how much the game sold or what ratings it got. So the failure question is not that important.

If the right people see potential in the series it will live.

Awesome post. Welcome to the forums. Where/when did you first come across Shenmue?
Got US version of S1 a week or two after it came out. My local game store at the time was a bit of a 'grey importer' and I had just started working full time (I was around 18) - I had the Action Replay for DC and knew how to play imports. I am a HUGE DUMB Sega fanboy (Criticism of Sega? Saturn was a failed console? Bah! Amateur opinions!! Etcetcetc) - I had bought my DC on day of launch (Midnight launch, only time I ever did something like that tbh) - After I played S1 I became obsessed and wanted so much more. Just totally wrapped up in the hype and the world. When S2 released I felt so so lucky because I was UK (aka in the European market) and when Sega announced no US release for S2 it was scary but understandable. When I played S2 it was everything I dreamed of and objective criticism just wasn't in my vocabulary. When I got to the 'end' of S2 I dreamed crazy dreams for days and weeks after. Only three other games made me feel that way in my whole life so I took my experience with Shenmue very seriously.

Much later on after DC death. Found the 'What's Shenmue?' demo on DC and got hyped up again (No clue why...) Still had my original Xbox so found a copy of S2. Got wrapped up in it all over again.

Dreamed of S3 but accepted it was a pipe dream. Figured that someone would find a build and restore it or we'd get a comic/brief mention in another Sega game. Then I moved on....

I'm driven by the experience and story of Shenmue. So the fact that S3 exists is amazing. From a modern standpoint a lot of the criticism of S3 is valid. Agree with it to some extent. However it's abundantly clear that S3 is for fans. Maybe stubbornly so.

All I know is this: I'm 37 years old. And I'm still playing through S3. And I still get the same feeling and pleasure I got when I was playing through the classic duo back in the day. I can't fully explain why to you however what I do know is that it's rare for me to get that feeling of joy/intrigue/excitement these days. So when I do I take it very seriously. Not many people in my world understand or relate to this. So it's a profound pleasure to associate with a collective that appreciate my standpoint.

I won't lie: No S4 would be soul destroying at this point... But when has reality ever respected feelings? We still can but dream right?

I'm very optimistic as well, since Suzuki has rekindled the flame with a promise and connected with people who can help him. Now the final "Secret" Sauce is wishing/getting Sega back on board. They can provide Suzuki with resources/Dev studios support to pull off avant-garde ideas. Get back on track in setting industry trends and Sega's brand name will make a comeback.

Saturn was a failed console?

TECHNICALLY, it wasn't (and definitely not in Japan) and having the 4 processors is a predecessor to the, "core," methodology and there are a ton of absolutely amazing games on the console.

One has to sit back with hindsight and time to truly see one's/something's worth. In 2020, I think we can all agree that the Saturn wasn't a failure. A disappointment revenue-wise, but not a failure (ala the 32X).

And I'm sticking to the same thing with 'mue; sure time won't help getting us IV quicker, but we can't judge the total reception and numbers until we have a bit more time.

TECHNICALLY, it wasn't (and definitely not in Japan) and having the 4 processors is a predecessor to the, "core," methodology and there are a ton of absolutely amazing games on the console.

One has to sit back with hindsight and time to truly see one's/something's worth. In 2020, I think we can all agree that the Saturn wasn't a failure. A disappointment revenue-wise, but not a failure (ala the 32X).

And I'm sticking to the same thing with 'mue; sure time won't help getting us IV quicker, but we can't judge the total reception and numbers until we have a bit more time.

Do we even have any numbers yet?

Outside of those first 2 weeks for Japan and Spain or whatever, nothing concrete...

Unless something else has turned up and we don't know about it?

Come on guys Saturn was a complete failure.

1.It costed more to make than PS1 and yet PS1 was a far better console for 3D games.

2.It was a nightmare to make games for that console. It was so developer unfriendly that developers like core design stopped supporting it. Which is why TR 2 was never released on that.

3.on Japan when FF 7 was released on PS1, Saturn fell behind the ps1.

4.And it ruined Sega's reputation. Some people and developers never supported Dreamcast due to that disaster.

Come on guys Saturn was a complete failure.

1.It costed more to make than PS1 and yet PS1 was a far better console for 3D games.

2.It was a nightmare to make games for that console. It was so developer unfriendly that developers like core design stopped supporting it. Which is why TR 2 was never released on that.

3.on Japan when FF 7 was released on PS1, Saturn fell behind the ps1.

4.And it ruined Sega's reputation. Some people and developers never supported Dreamcast due to that disaster.
Not to mention they launched ahead of schedule to beat the PS1, pissing of KB Toys, which resulted in them refusing to sell the console. The ether of "$299".

Back