Kickstarter Update #100 - Shenmue III delayed until November 19th

Saw KS update 100#

Expected hype.

Instead got a "Hi-Delay-Bye".

giphy.gif

Srsly, I'm screwed tho...that's holiday season and I won't have anytime to play till early spring...on top of (idk if this is intentional of not) but two visionaries releasing a game within each other? I see Yu still likes to live on the edge by forgoing his safe spot for a more thrilling time window.:devilish:

Now it's def a battle of the artistic genius we've got to look forward to for sure.

I hear those who say Q1 may be packed but they really need to handle this project with care, which they're not.

The game does not have an established mass audience who will buy it like other titles which have been on the market for years. Picking a quiet month / good release window even if its after Q1, I believe is a must for the game to reach its full potential and succeed.

I mean November is probably the worst month they could have chosen. I dunno I just think yu suzuki and Shenmue deserve better
Spot on. During the quiet months I'm dying for something to play. I can't be the only one thats into story based single player games that finds out about games like A Plague Tale literally months before release only to go out and buy it day one and really enjoy it. That game wouldn't have done half as well if it released in the November window. Not every casual player out there will take the plunge and spend their money on a game they barely know especially if other, bigger games are released in that time frame.

I had to run and hide in the toilet to read this update which is saying something...

I've convinced myself that releasing it around the time of FIFA and COD is not the end of the world and that it is slightly away from Death Stranding which is probably the closest competitor.

My main worry is about Deep Silver. Releasing the game in August or November might result in more or less the same copies sold, but in August, it's easier to get a #1 charting game than in November. I don't think it will be a #1 game and we all know what a lot of games websites are like today.

I can almost see the "Shenmue flopped" headlines as it "only reaches #3". Of course, the number of units sold is never shown, so it's easy to get away with that kind of thing. So my main worry is that Shenmue III artifically feels like it flopped when it might have actually done well which makes Shenmue IV a more difficult prospect.

Then again, the hard work with Shenmue III has been done making Shenmue IV potentially easier...but yeah, it's a bit of a shitty thing to have this on Shenmue day and being update #100.

I am OK with the delay, but something really needs to be shown at E3. I am OK with the lack of promotion up to a point (it did OK for Death Stranding), but that window of opportunity is narrowing by the day.

I think Deep Silver might be able to be pretty canny about this and promote is as an alternative to COD, FIFA etc in much the same way that independent film distributors sometimes release art house films as an alternative to big Hollywood blockbusters. But it's a ballsy gamble at best....

Whatever happens, I hope that Deep Silver know what they are doing and not shooting themselves in the foot over this.

EDIT: Having read the Kickstarter comments, i'm genuinely surprised how well people are taking it!

I had to run and hide in the toilet to read this update which is saying something...

I've convinced myself that releasing it around the time of FIFA and COD is not the end of the world and that it is slightly away from Death Stranding which is probably the closest competitor.

My main worry is about Deep Silver. Releasing the game in August or November might result in more or less the same copies sold, but in August, it's easier to get a #1 charting game than in November. I don't think it will be a #1 game and we all know what a lot of games websites are like today.

I can almost see the "Shenmue flopped" headlines as it "only reaches #3". Of course, the number of units sold is never shown, so it's easy to get away with that kind of thing. So my main worry is that Shenmue III artifically feels like it flopped when it might have actually done well which makes Shenmue IV a more difficult prospect.

Then again, the hard work with Shenmue III has been done making Shenmue IV potentially easier...but yeah, it's a bit of a shitty thing to have this on Shenmue day and being update #100.

I am OK with the delay, but something really needs to be shown at E3. I am OK with the lack of promotion up to a point (it did OK for Death Stranding), but that window of opportunity is narrowing by the day.

I think Deep Silver might be able to be pretty canny about this and promote is as an alternative to COD, FIFA etc in much the same way that independent film distributors sometimes release art house films as an alternative to big Hollywood blockbusters. But it's a ballsy gamble at best....

Whatever happens, I hope that Deep Silver know what they are doing and not shooting themselves in the foot over this.

EDIT: Having read the Kickstarter comments, i'm genuinely surprised how well people are taking it!
The reputation of sales will not hold back 4 obviously the publishers will know how much their own game has sold.

I know this is a novel idea, but how about they release it when it's fucking ready? If it's done by November 18th, I'm not waiting until January because some people think it might be a less stacked month for games (and like Spaghetti said, we actually have no idea at this stage).

It sounds far off... but it's ony an Extra 2 months really! While It is dissapointing I'm sort of glad to hear that they're putting aside time for more polish! - if they feel the need for it, I approve fully! Even though I am going to have to re-arrange more holiday which is going to be a serious bother...

From E3, I do want to see a serious push on marketing for this, if it's competing for the Winter Holiday it's going to have a hefty competition - Death Stranding, also being from a newly formed company, from a notable gmaing autuer and receiving assistance from Sony it's going to hit major headlines. This E3 they really need to bring a bang after this, a Proper Trailer and Gameplay Demonstration shown to the public, if I don't see this next week, I am going to become very anxious...

I bet there's another badass mic drop moment in store for E3. Every time I go back and watch the 2015 reveal it always reminds me that yes, Shenmue really is that special. When the big moment for Shenmue III comes, it will be glorious.

I know this is a novel idea, but how about they release it when it's fucking ready? If it's done by November 18th, I'm not waiting until January because some people think it might be a less stacked month for games (and like Spaghetti said, we actually have no idea at this stage).

Some of us want a Shenmue IV too.

I've been waiting for 18 years so I can easily wait for another 6 months. We will get a better Shenmue because of the delay. Now I do want to see footage to please our appetite for the time being

After seeing what happened to star wars and game of thrones season 8 it won't surprise me if shenmue 3 turns out bad. Shenmue 3 has been in development for a while now..

This can be seen in 2 ways, it’s either good news because the game will get even more refined, or bad news because despite nearing the release date it’s still not in a showable/releasable state...

Either way, despite obviously not loving the delay, it doesn’t really change much for me.

Back