Shenmue III Walmart Footage Discussion

Glad everyone is enjoying the footage. I'd forgotten Chai was in it too. There's also a section for photos that I didn't even look through. Might have new screenshots as well. Next time I'm in the area I'll check the kiosk again. ?

I saw the Shenmue III footage at my local walmart. Went immediately to the Sony Kiosk, scrolled through the content and lo and behold Shenmue III was there. Thank you. I looked at the photos and there wasn't anything new. Just the same ones from about 2018 and after.

I have to go back and listen to Shenmue II again, but I think Ren sounds very close to Eric Kelso. Eitiher it is him or whoever his VA is was very good. The only thing that seemed off on the short trailer is that Ryo's face looked expressionless while the NPC's had a lot of life to them. It leads me to believe that they are doing Ryo's facial work last in development. The English dub of Shenmue III looks to be very competent compared to the first two and it was weird seeing a Shenmue game with fluid voice acting like that.

Overall the trailer was awesome and I can't wait fucking play this game!!

I love how Chai seems to have not changed a bit. Lurking in the shadows and leaping out at Ryo, very similar to his actions in the original Shenmue. That and seeing Ren gets me even more hyped. Definitely is looking like a proper sequel to Shenmue 1 and 2, which is the only thing I asked for!

The only thing that seemed off on the short trailer is that Ryo's face looked expressionless while the NPC's had a lot of life to them.
hazuki_death_starehdkmy.gif

I mean who knows. They're certainly going to keep plugging away until release, but Ryo is one buttoned up mother fucker.

I mean who knows. They're certainly going to keep plugging away until release, but Ryo is one buttoned up mother fucker.

I hear ya. lol. But I was expecting more of the "2019 Ryo" when I saw the trailer, instead it's somewhere in between.

images

Clearly his eyebrows have movement, but it just looks somewhat incomplete. It feels like this trailer footage was definitely recorded knee deep in the WIP phase. I have a good feeling that we'll see more of the 2019 Ryo when the Shenmue III footage surfaces next week at E3.

I hear ya. lol. But I was expecting more of the "2019 Ryo" when I saw the trailer, instead it's somewhere in between.

images

Clearly his eyebrows have movement, but it just looks somewhat incomplete. It feels like this footage was definitely recorded knee deep in the WIP phase. I have a good feeling that we'll see more of the 2019 Ryo when the Shenmue III footage surfaces next week at E3.
I don't really get what you're going for here, sorry. The GIF resembles "2019" Ryo more than the alternative to my eyes.

This is Ryo's best shot in the trailer. Some others though feels like... extra polish might come handy:
unknown.png

unknown.png

I don't really get what you're going for here, sorry. The GIF resembles "2019" Ryo more than the alternative to my eyes.

Agreed. If there's one thing I wouldn't criticize, it's indeed that Ryo gif.

Thats what I was trying to say. Some of them look great but there's others that feel like do need extra polish. I'm just being nitpicky though. Overall the footage has gotten me hype.

One thing I was hoping to hear was Corey Marshall, which may have been the reason for the small "criticism". We literally heard everyone else talk (even Ren) except the main character. The english dub sounds really good so far, I really want to hear how Corey's Ryo has improved with the technology available to the dev team.

I saw the Shenmue III footage at my local walmart. Went immediately to the Sony Kiosk, scrolled through the content and lo and behold Shenmue III was there. Thank you. I looked at the photos and there wasn't anything new. Just the same ones from about 2018 and after.

I have to go back and listen to Shenmue II again, but I think Ren sounds very close to Eric Kelso. Eitiher it is him or whoever his VA is was very good. The only thing that seemed off on the short trailer is that Ryo's face looked expressionless while the NPC's had a lot of life to them. It leads me to believe that they are doing Ryo's facial work last in development. The English dub of Shenmue III looks to be very competent compared to the first two and it was weird seeing a Shenmue game with fluid voice acting like that.

Overall the trailer was awesome and I can't wait fucking play this game!!

Shucks I was hoping there was an in game pic of Naio Sun in there.

Thats what I was trying to say. Some of them look great but there's others that feel like do need extra polish. I'm just being nitpicky though. Overall the footage has gotten me hype.

One thing I was hoping to hear was Corey Marshall, which may have been the reason for the small "criticism". We literally heard everyone else talk (even Ren) except the main character. The english dub sounds really good so far, I really want to hear how Corey's Ryo has improved with the technology available to the dev team.

Didn't we got a sample of one in the VO update?

Yeah, obviously we don't have it in ours here in Canada (just got back from the one near my work and they don't have it either), so either people have dropped the ball or the USA gets privileges lol

This is Ryo's best shot in the trailer. Some others though feels like... extra polish might come handy:
unknown.png

unknown.png
Ehhhh, I mean I sort of see where you're coming from with the Chai fight, but they're very quick cuts.

The scene near the banister with Shenhua? I think that still image doesn't properly represent some pretty decent animation work happening.

ryo_contemplatestsjjo.gif

It's hard to tell with off-screen footage, but maybe a bit of lighting tweaking could do the trick. Ryo's face doesn't need to be wiggling around at all times though, and sometimes a neutral expression is the most natural.

Ehhhh, I mean I sort of see where you're coming from with the Chai fight, but they're very quick cuts.

The scene near the banister with Shenhua? I think that still image doesn't properly represent some pretty decent animation work happening.

ryo_contemplatestsjjo.gif

It's hard to tell with off-screen footage, but maybe a bit of lighting tweaking could do the trick. Ryo's face doesn't need to be wiggling around at all times though, and sometimes a neutral expression is the most natural.

There's something I don't know with his neutral expression here... something with the eyes. But as you said: off screen footage won't allow us to have a definitive opinion on it.

There's something I don't know with his neutral expression here... something with the eyes. But as you said: off screen footage won't allow us to have a definitive opinion on it.
Realistically... they're going to keep working on it. That's what they do every single time we bring up nitpicks, and in large and small amounts so much stuff is better by the next time we see the game. If there's anything they see there that they want to fix, they'll do it.

Honestly think that shot has more to do with lighting than actual animation. And it's the opposite in some of the Chai fight shots. They'll get around to it, because they always have so far.

Realistically... they're going to keep working on it. That's what they do every single time we bring up nitpicks, and in large and small amounts so much stuff is better by the next time we see the game. If there's anything they see there that they want to fix, they'll do it.

Honestly think that shot has more to do with lighting than actual animation. And it's the opposite in some of the Chai fight shots. They'll get around to it, because they always have so far.

That's what makes it even better. Because they keep ironing out everything and taking care of all the small nitpicks so far. So I'm really looking forward next footage. :)

Think I saw three sites, but now I can only find the below two.

Cheers. Both read well and are positive. Hopefully bodes well for the E3 impressions from the media gameplay demos.

Back