Shenmue III Walmart Footage Discussion

I don't have a problem with them personally, I'm just pointing out that attitude is a bit flawed. There's nothing wrong with people offering constructive criticism and hoping for improvements, right?
I was not opposing his criticism I was just saying in Yu Suzuki's position why waste man hours and money on some random guy. I'd love if every random guy had face scanned quailty animations it's just not feasible, thus why I said, why waste resources?

I'm not gonna lie or sugar coat...that vacant expressionless look bothers me still. I mean he isn't even making eye contact with anything. I know, I hate to be that guy. But it just bothers me.

But then I see everything else in this trailer, smile and think "it's Shenmue III in motion! How can I possibly get too upset about this?"

But he is making eye contact. He's looking at the guy coming for him. He's not expression less at all. In fact, it's making more sense that he wouldn't take his eyes off the danger in the situation.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

As you can see, his eyes and face are actually animated properly compared to the situation. He's just making eye contact with the other guy.

I think the off-screen video makes it hard to see exactly where his focus is, but that was my initial thought as well, that he's looking at the guy coming for him.

Either way, I think we're splitting hairs at this point. When playing I don't think people will think twice about stuff like this.

I think the off-screen video makes it hard to see exactly where his focus is, but that was my initial thought as well, that he's looking at the guy coming for him.

Either way, I think we're splitting hairs at this point. When playing I don't think people will think twice about stuff like this.

Even the off screen footage allows to clearly see the face movement, eye movement and eyebrows shape. I actually think that NPC look great.

I was not opposing his criticism I was just saying in Yu Suzuki's position why waste man hours and money on some random guy. I'd love if every random guy had face scanned quailty animations it's just not feasible, thus why I said, why waste resources?

Yeah, fair point. As I said, I don't mind the character, so maybe I was taking your point too literally.

Watched it briefly once, and wont watch it again. We are almost into spoiler territory here, so the spoiler forum will be open for the next major piece of footage that may or may not come next week.

If people feel that this footage alone is enough to warrant a spoiler tag, please let me know and we can move it. I just resisted the move due to the length of the clip, as well as the quality.

W
Oh I'll be around even if it's just lurking. I've been visiting this site around Shenmue II release on DC in Europe. I still remember seeing the US version cancellation article on IGN. I've posted here a few times before many years ago. I don't typically post because I've never got anything to say or contribute until now.
Welcome back then Happy that u likes it ?❤

I don't have a problem with them personally, I'm just pointing out that attitude is a bit flawed. There's nothing wrong with people offering constructive criticism and hoping for improvements, right?

This is the thing I don't get. I'm not saying this because I want to the game to be bad, I'm saying this because I want the game to be the best it can be. Criticism does not make me a hater ;)

I've seen many haters who I've rolled my eyes at (my favorite is when they try to tell me it looks like a PS2 game; because they've clearly forgotten what PS2 games actually looked like; hint; most of them don't hold up well)

But he is making eye contact. He's looking at the guy coming for him. He's not expression less at all. In fact, it's making more sense that he wouldn't take his eyes off the danger in the situation.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

As you can see, his eyes and face are actually animated properly compared to the situation. He's just making eye contact with the other guy.

To be fair, that was my initial reaction after watching it for the first time and yeah, I did think the proportions of his eyes seemed off. The guy chasing him isn't that tall...there is a point where he's not making direct eye contact with Ryo and there is a point where he does look up to the sky making eye contact with nothing. My initial reaction was "what's up with that?"

BUT having watched it multiple times since then I have come around on it a bit, I did notice that he does actually make eye contact with the guy coming towards him just before he cowers down. And yes, I noticed he does make eye contract with Ryo a little as well.

Again, there is more here that I liked than I didn't and this was a nitpick upon initial viewing because it didn't look right to me the first time I watched it. BUT my opinion has changed on re-watch and really looking at it.

Last edited:
Watched it briefly once, and wont watch it again. We are almost into spoiler territory here, so the spoiler forum will be open for the next major piece of footage that may or may not come next week.

If people feel that this footage alone is enough to warrant a spoiler tag, please let me know and we can move it. I just resisted the move due to the length of the clip, as well as the quality.

Maybe not this footage, but I feel like I'm gonna pass on future trailers now. What I saw in that Wal-Mart footage was good enough to tide me over until the PC demo release. Thanks @Cebman !

Who thinks this footage probably existed in the MAGIC trailer before it was cut down significantly? I think...possibly?

Well wasn't this exact scenario (the one with the guy being chased) described in the Edge preview? I seem to remember it was.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was all from the demo that was being shown at Magic. Well except for the major story beats (Chai, Ren, Shenhua and Ryo)

Last edited:
Niaowu has certainly changed.

sequence05.00_00_03_1uojn5.jpg

The back of the shopping street used to be a dead end, now it's leading into a whole other area.

sequence05.00_00_11_1sfkp6.jpg

The building across the waterfront also looks to be open. I've had a long-standing theory since Gamescom 2018 we'll get to explore over there...

sequence05.00_00_21_2b6jia.jpg

And this? Just really liked the colours. Haha.

Niaowu has certainly changed.

sequence05.00_00_03_1uojn5.jpg

The back of the shopping street used to be a dead end, now it's leading into a whole other area.

sequence05.00_00_11_1sfkp6.jpg

The building across the waterfront also looks to be open. I've had a long-standing theory since Gamescom 2018 we'll get to explore over there...

sequence05.00_00_21_2b6jia.jpg

And this? Just really liked the colours. Haha.
The colours are what really stand out for me.

There are hardly any games these days that use colour like Shenmue III. Beautiful.

The colours are what really stand out for me.

Yes! And these are off-screen images... the actual colors are even richer.

I remember on my very first playthrough of Shenmue, I spent a significant amount of time just looking around at the world, and I'm actually super-excited to do the same once this comes out. There are a lot of self-directed side activities that gamers have developed over the years... in-game photography, walking from one end of the world to the other, etc., and I think Shenmue III is going to be a goldmine for that kind of interactivity.

Back