Shenmue 3 FAQ's Up. Shenmue 3 will come to Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can think by my own. So I do not care what some random dude in the Internet is saying. Any adult should be able to make his own opinion. What do you want to proof with Video? Mr big Youtuber does not like Shenmue. My answer to

that would be

But just seriously. any normal gamer should makes his own opinion and should not listen to a random youtuber. It is just a opinion.

Many People for example like Read Dead Remdeption 2, God of War and Horizon Zero dawn. To me this are the most boring and generic games I have ever played in this Generation.

This is my opinion and my mind won't change. But many People have a different opinion. Many People love These games. An I respect that. This games are not just my Cup of tea.

And Shenmue is not the Cup of tea for many other People. Point taken. Nothing bad about it.

We agree on that. I don't care about their opinion. But let's be real. Do you really think others dont ? Do you really think that, if those people with millions of views says "It's a scam" "it's a bad game", this has no incident ?

It's a problem, but what can I do to cure human stupidity? We live in an age where people worship idiotic Youtubers like AngryJoe who can't go five minutes without every other word being an expletive or DreamcastGuy and others who get caught lying for clicks all the time, where young girls ideolise moronic Instagram and Youtube influencers whose sole purpose is to sell them crap they don't need, where the music that tops the charts is the absolute worst and real talent is buried, where the best films go unnoticed whilst people get hard over the latest shitty superhero flicks.

If you think I really care what people think, then you're mistaken.

Also point me to one KS that hasn't been accused of being a scam. It's the easy thing for knuckle heads to do.

Angry Joe can have all the influence in the world, his content is still fucking shit. You know who else is influential? Nigel Farage. That doesn't stop him from being a massive bellend whose opinion I could not give a rat's arse about.

I can agree with that. I have very little respect to Youtubers and the press in general. But what I'm saying here is that giving them ammo to shot down the game is bad. Whenever you care about Steam or not or think whatever you want to think on that, you can't deny that it's been mishandled on the Kickstarter side. And as I said multiple times, it's an issue that can be fixed for litterally 0 american dollars.

Will some steam fanboys still complain for exclusivity after ? Sure. But it's not about that here. It's about the backers.

When a Kickstarter doesn't deliver to backers, we all know the first word that'll come out from the press and youtubers mouth: Scam.

And that's the 1st word that'll come to mind to the general audience "Scam". Before they even see or touch the game, that'll be their 1st impression.

Now what happens if YsNet gives people what they paid for ? The perception changes. It comes from "Scam" to "Well, that game may not look appealing, but the developper is respectful of their players and backers. So i'll take a look".

Do agree with this though. The marketing is horrendous.

I mean, for real, no music ? If it wasn't in the game, I'd get it, but it is in the game. Some people are already annoying me with the "boring turtle races". I cant even explain that Shenmue is all about the atmosphere when the footage handed to them is turtles making weird cries without any music behind it. If it wasnt for @Peter fixing it with temp music, that'd be yikes on so many levels.

Do agree with this though. The marketing is horrendous.

It was. This type of Marketing might have worked 20 years ago, but in the days and age of YouTube were super cool stylised Trailer are the norm. this is not working.

Even if These Trailers do not show the full truth.

compare the gameplay footage of the new SW Game

to the Trailer

the combat is the Trailer Looks way more funtional than in the acutual gameplay.

I respect Yu San for his honesty, but without super styled Trailer you cannot attract anyone today.

Oh yeah? What did it say on Kickstarter in 2015 when you paid your money? Go on, show the confirmation email to us all.

I don't have my original confirmation. My email inbox goes as far as 2018.

However...

You mean...this?

I...AM HAIKU BOT
CONFIRMING YOUR ORDER WITH
FEARFUL SYMMETRY

This is an automated email sent to you to confirm your pledge for Shenmue 3:

Tier: Physical Copy for PC or PS4 (Kickstarter) ($60)

• Please enter the name you would like to appear on the official Shenmue 3 homepage. (https://shenmue.link/):
  • Which Kickstarter version of Shenmue III would you like?:
    Physical Steam Disc (Kickstarter Exclusive Case)
Tier: Printed Art Book (Kickstarter) ($175)

• What shirt size would you like?:
    Unisex L
  • What name would you like in the game's credits?:
  • Please enter the name you would like to appear on the official Shenmue 3 homepage. (https://shenmue.link/):
  • Which Kickstarter version of Shenmue III would you like?:
    Physical PlayStation® 4 Disc (Kickstarter Exclusive Case)

Wow.

You wa shock!

IT SAYS ORDER.

The email even says orders@fangamer!

mp5RmrI.gif

Dun.

Dun.

Dunnnn!!!

It was. This type of Marketing might have worked 20 years ago, but in the days and age of YouTube were super cool stylised Trailer are the norm. this is not working.

Even if These Trailers do not show the full truth.

compare the gameplay footage of the new SW Game

to the Trailer

the combat is the Trailer Looks way more funtional than in the acutual gameplay.

I respect Yu San for his honesty, but without super styled Trailer you cannot attract anyone today.

Not only that, but the ingame gameplay footage looks worse than it should. Why would they disable the music ?
Heck, even for the E3 trailer, I know a lot of people disagree. But I'll be honest: It wasn't great. It fails imo to sell about what Shenmue is all about. The Magic 2019 trailer was far better with that imo.

Not only is Shenmue a naturally divisive game series by being unorthodox, esoteric, and sticking to its unique vision, it is now mired in controversy. This has done a major hit in sales. Not only because of the shop, but also the simple fact it's mired in negativity that Shenmue, as a niche product, simply cannot afford.

You are insane if you think a niche game can afford anything like this 5-6 months before release. This is very, very bad, your own opinions be damned. Yes, we as Shenmue lovers will love it. All of us here love the gameplay footage. But we are die hards swimming in now poisoned waters.
There's been controversy surrounding Shenmue since day 1 but we've always moved on past it. For all the drama online right now I honestly don't even know if most gamers care about Epic vs Steam. Like I said before, most people don't think about the services so long as they still get a product in the end.

Heck until this week I didn't even care Epic had a system for selling games and I only begrudging use Steam in the first place. I imagine most dedicated console gamers would care even less about what happens now that the 'PC gaming master race' have found themselves in a civil war. I think that Shenmue 3 is going to do fine regardless.

Not only that, but the ingame gameplay footage looks worse than it should. Why would they disable the music ?
Heck, even for the E3 trailer, I know a lot of people disagree. But I'll be honest: It wasn't great. It fails imo to sell about what Shenmue is all about. The Magic 2019 trailer was far better with that imo.

Marketing: let's show as little gameplay as possible in a story oriented series many will be playing for the first time and have no connection to. Let's make it alllll story.

There's been controversy surrounding Shenmue since day 1 but we've always moved on past it. For all the drama online right now I honestly don't even know if most gamers care about Epic vs Steam. Like I said before, most people don't think about the services so long as they still get a product in the end.

Heck until this week I didn't even care Epic had a system for selling games and I only begrudging use Steam in the first place. I imagine most dedicated console gamers would care even less about what happens now that the 'PC gaming master race' have found themselves in a civil war. I think that Shenmue 3 is going to do fine regardless.

I honestly think you should see outside of Shenmue-Dojo. People aren't as passionate as we are.

Yes, there has been controversy since Shenmue started. Controversy like using a kickstarter to get funding and actually exist after more than a decade away and then not honoring peoples original order. Controversy like that. Which is totally the same as being the most expensive game at one point in time.

Any bad News about S3 is not good. Because the game has not the Money and the industry giants behind it to absorb it. That is true.

But even without the controversay the game is dommed by the public eye. The angry joes on YouTube are just waiting to trash talking about the game.

They do it because it generates clicks. And they just care about clicks. Relaying on influencer to talk postive about S3 is a bad idea. It will never happen. They big inluencer are here to promote the main stream. Shenmue is not Mainstream. So they are not going to Support.

the only Thing the controversy did is too devide the community. Another reason to bash Shenmue. Infighting within in the community is never a good Thing.

Any bad News about S3 is not good. Because the game has not the Money and the industry giants behind it to absorb it. That is true.

But even without the controversay the game is dommed by the public eye. The angry joes on YouTube are just waiting to trash talking about the game.

They do it because it generates clicks. And they just care about clicks. Relaying on influencer to talk postive about S3 is a bad idea. It will never happen. They big inluencer are here to promote the main stream. Shenmue is not Mainstream. So they are not going to Support.

the only Thing the controversy did is too devide the community. Another reason to bash Shenmue. Infighting within in the community is never a good Thing.

As you said, some people were never going to be convinced in the first place and are just waiting for some ammo to trash on the game.

Which is why I'm saying : "Let's not give them ammo to shit on the game".

Yes, this controversy is dividing the community. But that's why it's important to adress it. But to adress it the right way. Telling other backers "it's just a launcher" "it makes no difference" "be glad to get what you're getting" isn't the right way. Because even if no one complained, you know what some people would say and already said before ? "See those Shenmue fans with a stockholm syndrome being scammed".

The only right way to adress this, is to deliver and give at launch or after the exclusivity, the Steam key backers ordered through Fangamer. Heck, as I said a lot of Kickstarters gained positive reaction because they've been showing recognition to their backers, by being generous. You know what would be a great PR ? YsNet and Deep Silver offering the DLCs to backers. For believing in the game.

We agree on that. I don't care about their opinion. But let's be real. Do you really think others dont ? Do you really think that, if those people with millions of views says "It's a scam" "it's a bad game", this has no incident ?

I can agree with that. I have very little respect to Youtubers and the press in general. But what I'm saying here is that giving them ammo to shot down the game is bad. Whenever you care about Steam or not or think whatever you want to think on that, you can't deny that it's been mishandled on the Kickstarter side. And as I said multiple times, it's an issue that can be fixed for litterally 0 american dollars.

Will some steam fanboys still complain for exclusivity after ? Sure. But it's not about that here. It's about the backers.

When a Kickstarter doesn't deliver to backers, we all know the first word that'll come out from the press and youtubers mouth: Scam.

And that's the 1st word that'll come to mind to the general audience "Scam". Before they even see or touch the game, that'll be their 1st impression.

Now what happens if YsNet gives people what they paid for ? The perception changes. It comes from "Scam" to "Well, that game may not look appealing, but the developper is respectful of their players and backers. So i'll take a look".

I mean, for real, no music ? If it wasn't in the game, I'd get it, but it is in the game. Some people are already annoying me with the "boring turtle races". I cant even explain that Shenmue is all about the atmosphere when the footage handed to them is turtles making weird cries without any music behind it. If it wasnt for @Peter fixing it with temp music, that'd be yikes on so many levels.

My biggest gripe with the gameplay demos (besides the lack of music in the B roll) is it seems almost parody like with the amount of mini games he's trying to show off. I honestly don't think anyone besides hardcore Shenmue fans are going to care about turtle racing and wood chopping. Mind you, Shenmue 3 was always going to be problematic in terms of showing off gameplay. What seemed groundbreaking 20 years ago really isn't anymore.

What’s hurts most is how much our fellow Shenmue fans are willing to throw us under the bus. Over here we have been measured. We have wished no one on the team ill will. We haven’t wished Yu-san cancer. We merely want a refund or a steam key. We aren’t the bad guys. We are fellow Shenmue fans. We have tried to handle this as respectfully as possible. And yet our fellow friends at the dojo think it’s nothing, that we are just bitching to bitch, and have not one shred of empathy. That’s the most heart breaking thing. Bed. I’m out. My patience is wearing thin and I might say something I may regret.

Dan - Be brave and stay calm to make the right decision.

My biggest gripe with the gameplay demos (besides the lack of music in the B roll) is it seems almost parody like with the amount of mini games he's trying to show off. I honestly don't think anyone besides hardcore Shenmue fans are going to care about turtle racing and wood chopping. Mind you, Shenmue 3 was always going to be problematic in terms of showing off gameplay. What seemed groundbreaking 20 years ago really isn't anymore.

Well, I'll disagree with you here. I know a lot of people were excited by mini games on Dojo. But yeah, for other people, it sucks. But I still think you can sell Shenmue 3 with it's atmosphere. And funnily, it's the video that had less time that was the most appealing to me.

That Bailu opening just looks stunning. Not only the visuals looks great, you can see what Shenmue is all about. And yet, they decided to skip straight to the mini game :/
(On top of that, wtf at no music ???)

Also, I'm sorry, I know a lot of people loves Corey, I genuinely like the guy for his passion and such. But I don't think, in the current state, showing gameplay with english dub is a smart thing to do. Because the english dub, not only has lipsync issues for now, isn't that good imo. And while I know some like it because, let's be fair, it has that Shenmue jankiness, it's not an appealing way to present the product, for now at least.

I think a lot of people in general underestimate what kind of effect an order has from the Law side of things. They can't be blamed because not everyone has studied law.

But even if you go buy a can of Cola in your discounter round the corner you are agreeing to a CONTRACT with various legal bindings - for both buyer and seller - in it, which people don't realize.

Imagine buying this at ebay and getting a U-Play Key instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-The-H...607312?hash=item1cce806d10:g:52wAAOSw7Excp0n-

BOOOM contract not fulfilled.

Last edited:
@GhostTrick apologies for the slow reply.

The phsyical Steam Disc is difficult. Short of only sticking a code on a disc woudl they still send a backer case with the code for Epic? Then it meets the change criteria? This is why (IMO) nothing is cut and dry here. The latest Kickstarter update is something so lets wait and see. The convo has moved on so I'll leave it now.

In terms of marketing I really wish they would engage the fan communities more. We've got a wealth of knowledge and experience here that could be tapped into for free! It's been a bit of a clusterfuck so far though there's been heavy advertising at E3 from the pictures I;ve seen. Lets see how things develop.

I think a lot of people in general underestimate what kind of effect an order has. They can't be blamed because not everyone has studied law.

But even if you go buy a can of Cola in your discounter round the corner you are agreeing to a CONTRACT with various legal bindings - for both buyer and seller - in it, which people don't realize.

Imagine buying this at ebay and getting a U-Play Key insteaad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-The-H...607312?hash=item1cce806d10:g:52wAAOSw7Excp0n-

Exactly. I see a lot of people claiming "but it says a survey".
Contracts doesn't work like that. Many type of contract have a definition. It'd be really easy otherwise, to escape taxes and such. People would just disguise sales as donations just by writing "Donation contract" on top of the documents.

Same for the system requirements. People seems to ignore that, even if you write that, you're binded by the item name and description you're selling. If it was a PC game that MAY activate on Steam as sys requirements may change, right. But the item name was a Steam game.

@GhostTrick apologies for the slow reply.

The phsyical Steam Disc is difficult. Short of only sticking a code on a disc woudl they still send a backer case with the code for Epic? Then it meets the change criteria? This is why (IMO) nothing is cut and dry here. The latest Kickstarter update is something so lets wait and see. The convo has moved on so I'll leave it now.

In terms of marketing I really wish they would engage the fan communities more. We've got a wealth of knowledge and experience here that could be tapped into for free! It's been a bit of a clusterfuck so far though there's been heavy advertising at E3 from the pictures I;ve seen. Lets see how things develop.

At some point, just fuckin hire @Peter and let him edit footage ffs. Heck, I'm sure he'd do it for free but even for cash, he's already doing a better job than what's being handed here.

Concering the Marketing they still have a Chance. gamescom is still coming and also the TGS. But they have to to step up their game a lot. S3 was still the highligh for me on the E3 maybe besides the new Star Wars Trailer and the new FF 7 Trailer but I have to be fair that only liked the Trailer because I was a fan. As non fan the Trailer would have just lef me confused without knowing what is going on.

The Effect is comparable to the effect every Death Stranding Trailer had on me so far. The SW and the FF 7 Trailer were much easier to enjoy and could have even get my Attention even if I had not been A Star Wars and FF guy already.

I cannot say the same Thing about the S3 Trailer. it was just weird from a non fan Point of view.

Concering the Marketing they still have a Chance. gamescom is still coming and also the TGS. But they have to to step up their game a lot. S3 was still the highligh for me on the E3 maybe besides the new Star Wars Trailer and the new FF 7 Trailer but I have to be fair that only liked the Trailer because I was a fan. As non fan the Trailer would have just lef me confused without knowing what is going on.

The Effet is comparable to the effect every Death Stranding Trailer had on me so far. The SW and the FF 7 Trailer were much easier to enjoy and could have even get my Attention even if I had not been A Star Wars and FF guy already.

I cannot say the same Thing about the S3 Trailer. it was just weird from a non fan Point of view.

They still have a chance, but so far it's not the lack of footage that is problematic, it's all about the direction. It's a serie of conscious decisions that were taken here. Heck, I'll tell you what and I think a lot of people might agree here:
The Wallmart footage was a LOT BETTER in that regard. Sure, it was short. But it was cut in a good way, it felt more Shenmue than usual. It had combat, a funny mini game, forklift, story and main characters.

Now imagine being a new comer and discover Shenmue III with that trailer. You're given 0 information. You know nothing about it. It just look awkward and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back