Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShenSun and LanDC nailed it

Am glad I haven't read the social media comments, but it really bums me out that people are losing it over B.S. reasons.

I think all of the Dojo people should take 5 minutes to send Yu a positive email to try to counter all the negative posts that people are doing.

I stopped reading this comments Long time ago. Nothing good is coming out of that. But to be frank I doubt that these People are fans at all. I somehow think that they just hate because other People are doing it.

Shenmue is a series for Patient People. For People that like to explore Things and figure out Things by themselves. Shenmue is not your typical game where the Icons Pop every second to guide you.

I can hardly believe that such impatient People that want everything for free and without afford would enjoy playing a game like Shenmue.. They do have the Patience for that. Another reason not take them seriously. They are not real fans.

There's certain websites and magazines I feel fans, YsNet and Deep Silver need to be more concerned about pleasing, and that's the likes of Eurogamer, Edge, GamesTM, Retro Gamer magazine etc.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Deep Silver's marketing team were prioritizing GamesTM, a magazine that ceased publication last November.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Deep Silver's marketing team were prioritizing GamesTM, a magazine that ceased publication last November.

They ceased publication!?

Edit: Ah, so they went with GamesMaster. Shame :(

My point still stands. There's types of media to appeal to. The raging hard on over CoD media isn't it.

Yes they did. GamesTM and Games Master is now more since a November. Was never reading GamesTM but losing Games Master was a big loss. It was a good Muli Plattform Magazine. But in the mean time I got used to read the offical Xbox and the Playstation Magazine instead.

Yes they did. GamesTM and Games Master is now more since a November. Was never reading GamesTM but losing Games Master was a big loss. It was a good Muli Plattform Magazine. But in the mean time I got used to read the offical Xbox and the Playstation Magazine instead.

Was GamesMaster still good? I read it religiously in the 90s up until about 2001 when it seemed to be going down hill, so I moved on to NGC magazine when I bought a Gamecube and just got that as my monthly magazine (before that I was picking up Gamesmaster and the official Sega/Saturn/Dreamcast magazines). I was kinda shocked Gamesmaster lasted as long as it did, what with magazines' circulation declining so rapidly and online media growing.

What I really miss is the GamesMaster TV series. Dominik Diamond was a funny dude.

I am the wrong Person to answer it. I did not know GamesMaster in the 90s. Back then I was only reading the german magazines. I was reading Games Master just from 2014 till it was cancelled. I found it by consindence in a News Agent at my local Train Station. it reminded me of the my favourite German gaming Magazine of all time, the Video games, that was cancelled back then in 2001.That's why i bought my first issue and kept buying them. Compared the german Magazine landscape it was really good for a Multi Plattform Magazine. Way better than the German gamepro and almost as good as the german M Games.

Ah fair enough. GamesMaster in the 90s was awesome. I wish I had kept my collection of magazines. I still have some lying around at my parents' house I think, but most got chucked at some point :(

They had lots of great Shenmue previews and articles back in the day.

Thanks the Internet it is easy to read the old magazines. I checked out lots of them already. Was not familiar back then with the UK Magazine culture but they really had some gems. Checked out the Official Sega Saturn Mag and it is a great Magazine. The official N64 mag is also a gem. The UK Dreamcast Magazine was also way better than the german one. It should be possible to find some old GamesMaster issues as well. So I will check them out and see how it compares to the more modern GamesMaster issues I know.

Not sure if this has surfaced over here https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2019-why-going-epic-store-exclusive-was-the-rig/1100-6467769/
"House House is a small independent studio that has been operating on a tight budget for years, so a partnership like this gives us a means to make games sustainably for the foreseeable future," it said. "In an industry like ours, this kind of stability is huge."

Ah, good old House House, makers of the brilliant-looking Untitled Goose Game...

For good or ill, it looks like the Epic Game Store is isn't going away any time soon. I blame Fortnite players. They're the real source of the problem here... ;)

And don't get me started on that pesky Unreal Engine...

Last edited:
Imagine if update #104 is “I came out of retirement to give over 4 years of my life to Shenmue III. It is now no more. You are all ungrateful. Good bye.”
I have a feeling his skin is a lot thicker than we think. I doubt this has influenced him in the slightest.

Was GamesMaster still good? I read it religiously in the 90s up until about 2001 when it seemed to be going down hill, so I moved on to NGC magazine when I bought a Gamecube and just got that as my monthly magazine (before that I was picking up Gamesmaster and the official Sega/Saturn/Dreamcast magazines). I was kinda shocked Gamesmaster lasted as long as it did, what with magazines' circulation declining so rapidly and online media growing.

What I really miss is the GamesMaster TV series. Dominik Diamond was a funny dude.

It was a magazine aimed at the younger age range as time went on. I really enjoyed it up to the PS2/Gamecube era, but it kinda went downhill after that.

Now the UK Sega Saturn Magazine - that's a cracking magazine. I still love to fish it out every once in a while. I felt like I was part of a secret society with that magazine (and incidentally, the editor of that magazine is the leader of Digital Foundary nowadays!)

It was a magazine aimed at the younger age range as time went on. I really enjoyed it up to the PS2/Gamecube era, but it kinda went downhill after that.

Now the UK Sega Saturn Magazine - that's a cracking magazine. I still love to fish it out every once in a while. I felt like I was part of a secret society with that magazine (and incidentally, the editor of that magazine is the leader of Digital Foundary nowadays!)

Yeah, I noticed that too with GamesMaster. I think I started noticing it around the time it had it's second or third redesign in around 2001/2002ish.

The UK Sega Saturn Magazine was amazing man. It brings back so much memories for me (and the funny thing is I didn't even own a Saturn until after the Dreamcast came out, but I wanted one so badly that I'd still pick up the magazine quite a bit). I never knew that about Digital Foundry! But now I do, it makes a lot of sense.

I’ve been reading old issues of that online and it really was that damn good.

Just read up on the Pokemon "controversy". It's a headscratcher for me and I'm really not sure what the big deal is. I'm starting to think gaming nerds are the most insufferable demographic ever.

Up until now players were allowed to transfer all of their pokemon to every mainline game, pokemon that they have been with for 20 years and built an emotional attachment to. Not long ago Nintendo announced Pokemon Home, a sequel to Pokemon bank, a service in which you have to pay a real life recuring fee to keep your pokemon locked in the cloud in order to transfer them to the next game. But now they have announced that you can only transfer a select few pokemon, so pokemon that have been with players for such a long time, that they specifically trained and built up may no longer be able to go with them, which further makes Pokemon Home not make any sense because when it was announced it played on peoples nostalgia for their old Pokemon and stated theyd be able to bring them into Pokemon Sword and Shield.

It also doesnt help that the new Pokemon looks like an uprezed 3DS game. Fans were expecting some sort of innovation, and the most they get is that there is a specific open area, and thats about it. Dynamax is just an enlarged Pokemon with a red filter. Like, compare Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2, so many QOL and innovations between those games and they are on the same console, and now Shenmue 3 is adding a lot of things to make the gameplay more meaningful as well. Gamefreak doesnt really evolve the Pokemon formula in any way, and its frustrating, now they are taking away a beloved feature that has been in the series since its inception. I understand the complaints.

Personally for me, Pokemon Sword and Shield were my deciding factor to see if I would get a Switch, but mostly they are the same old thing as the last games, its stale, and now has less features, so I am out. Its too bad because pokemon had potential to be so much better but GameFreak are too stubborn to evolve.

Up until now players were allowed to transfer all of their pokemon to every mainline game, pokemon that they have been with for 20 years and built an emotional attachment to. Not long ago Nintendo announced Pokemon Home, a sequel to Pokemon bank, a service in which you have to pay a real life recuring fee to keep your pokemon locked in the cloud in order to transfer them to the next game. But now they have announced that you can only transfer a select few pokemon, so pokemon that have been with players for such a long time, that they specifically trained and built up may no longer be able to go with them, which further makes Pokemon Home not make any sense because when it was announced it played on peoples nostalgia for their old Pokemon and stated theyd be able to bring them into Pokemon Sword and Shield.

It also doesnt help that the new Pokemon looks like an uprezed 3DS game. Fans were expecting some sort of innovation, and the most they get is that there is a specific open area, and thats about it. Dynamax is just an enlarged Pokemon with a red filter. Like, compare Shenmue 1 to Shenmue 2, so many QOL and innovations between those games and they are on the same console, and now Shenmue 3 is adding a lot of things to make the gameplay more meaningful as well. Gamefreak doesnt really evolve the Pokemon formula in any way, and its frustrating, now they are taking away a beloved feature that has been in the series since its inception. I understand the complaints.

Personally for me, Pokemon Sword and Shield were my deciding factor to see if I would get a Switch, but mostly they are the same old thing as the last games, its stale, and now has less features, so I am out. Its too bad because pokemon had potential to be so much better but GameFreak are too stubborn to evolve.

I get that. I own and have played through a number of Pokemon games, but seriously, in the real world, who really cares? I don't care about the feature and whilst I can appreciate others may be disappointed, it's really not a huge deal. There was always going to be a point where the development team would stop and think "okay, this is getting silly now".

As for it looking like an up res 3DS game, that's clearly bollocks. Are we even looking at the same game? It looks a million times bigger and more vast than a 3DS game.

I get that. I own and have played through a number of Pokemon games, but seriously, in the real world, who really cares? I don't care about the feature and whilst I can appreciate others may be disappointed, it's really not a huge deal. There was always going to be a point where the development team would stop and think "okay, this is getting silly now".

As for it looking like an up res 3DS game, that's clearly bollocks. Are we even looking at the same game? It looks a million times bigger and more vast than a 3DS game.

Just because its not important to you personally doesnt mean it doesnt matter to others. It obviously does. And no, it doesnt look better than an uprezed 3DS game. Yokai Watch is on 3DS and looks better, same for Dragon Quest 8 and 11, which has an 3D overworld for the entire game, with all enemies on screen, with armor and equipment that changes the character model on screen. Pokemon Sword and Shield is literally using the same Pokemon models from the 3DS games. GameFreak are too complacent.

I get it, to you, it doesnt matter. But try to at least have some understanding for those who do care. After all there are people who dont give a crap about some of the things that are staples of Shenmue and I know for a fact people here would be disappointed if some of them were gone or had never evolved. Pokemon is one of the biggest and best selling franchises in the world, people are going to take it seriously.

Last edited:
Or, objectively speaking, it really isn't important.

And Shenmue 3 is leaving out throw moves, an arguably bigger omission and I would like to think we got over it. I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back