Random Shenmue III Thoughts

My gut still tells me they'll back out of the November glut for a January 2020 release, honestly.

My reasoning is it'll give a little more time for polish, position it more for success without AAA titles competing with it and more time for the rewards to be completed to avoid any mishaps with shipping.

Seriously---the holiday shipping/shopping season will have begun around that time. It will be a nightmare to not just get rewards on time, but there's a big risk of damage.

In my GameStop days, I yelled at many a UPS driver for rolling in with boxes of PS4 Systems(4 to a box) or Xbox One(2 per box) and just strongarm throwing them in the back room.

A delay for what reason or purpose? The game is 100% done (unless you think Yu Suzuki is a liar) and there has been plenty of time for the final polishing and refinements. A delay when the game is complete for no reason other than "Oh No DeAtH StRaNdInG iS gOiNg To OvEr ShAdOw It" would be ridiculous.

Yet another delay now would be laughable and would make the game an even bigger laughing stock. It just screams mismanagement and poor planning.

Ive always thought November was a terrible release date due to competition, so I'll personally be hoping for a delay.

That said, if they do go with November, they're gonna have to have one hell of marketing budget to draw eyes to the product, and convince shoppers to buy Shenmue 3 over the many other titles releasing that month.

Only time will tell I guess.

Marketing and reviews gotta be critically acclaimed(or well received) and top notched or this niche series will get buried.

But on the other hand, Shenmue III does have legendary status/Anticipation so if the fanfare is huge enuf from fans/words of mouth we can help add/compliment the product going into release week.

One concerns...are the haters/trolls & disgruntle backers over EGS will go around review bombing/shame flinging and try to murk Yu Suzuki's credibility even tho he's not at fault in the PR mess DS created.

Marketing and reviews gotta be critically acclaimed(or well received) and top notched or this niche series will get buried.

But on the other hand, Shenmue III does have legendary status/Anticipation so if the fanfare is huge enuf from fans/words of mouth we can help add/compliment the product going into release week.

One concerns...are the haters/trolls & disgruntle backers over EGS will go around review bombing/shame flinging and try to murk Yu Suzuki's credibility even tho he's not at fault in the PR mess DS created.

I am not a fortune teller, but if Metro Exodus can succeed despite the shit it got then so can Shenmue 3.

What if Shenmue III was delayed to December 3rd?

Could give it some breathing room during the holiday havoc and make it a December to remember marketing-wise...

I am not a fortune teller, but if Metro Exodus can succeed despite the shit it got then so can Shenmue 3.

Metro Exodus is a pretty big franchise especially on PC. With Shenmue being a smaller brand it needs all the help it can get. Luckily the masses have short term memory if Shenmue reviews well and can gain some hype those some haters will come back.

Also DS needs to curate their influence-rs that they're gonna toss this title to showcase. Someone with great influences and is actually a fan. Not just anybody with huge numbers.

Angry Joe pissed off the Persona Fan base because he shitted(in a round-about way) on Persona 5 since he doesn't like the pacing/Jrpg turnbased gameplay when he was offer a free copy to demo live on his channel.

A delay for what reason or purpose? The game is 100% done (unless you think Yu Suzuki is a liar) and there has been plenty of time for the final polishing and refinements. A delay when the game is complete for no reason other than "Oh No DeAtH StRaNdInG iS gOiNg To OvEr ShAdOw It" would be ridiculous.

Yet another delay now would be laughable and would make the game an even bigger laughing stock. It just screams mismanagement and poor planning.

I still wouldn't be surprised if Death Stranding gets delayed. I'm not holding my breath on that one at all. I refuse to get excited until the week before it releases, because I just don't believe that a Kojima game will makes its targeted date. I could very easily see that game getting delayed into 2020. Could be entirely wrong, but yeah, I just don't see a Kojima game making its date for whatever reason.

As for Shenmue III? I don't see it being delayed. I don't see how being delayed into 2020 will help it. It will get eaten alive in the Q1 2020 schedule. I've said it before, SIII was always going to have a tough uphill battle in front of it no matter where it released. Hell, it's never not been facing an uphill battle since Shenmue II. Look at what it went through just to be financed and brought into existence.

If it made its August 27th date: It would have had to compete against Remedy's Control

If they make their November 19th date: It will have to compete against Doom Eternal and Death Stranding (Pokemon is kind of mute considering it's destined to sell no matter what)

If they delay into Q1 2020: they face stiff competition from the likes of The Last of Us II, Cyberpunk, Watch Dogs 3 and so on.

Leave it any later and you risk becoming a laughing stock due to the numerous delays as is.

It doesn't really matter where they release...they're destined to be fighting an uphill battle no matter what.

I don't think it will get delayed any further. I think this delay happened because they got some more money to further polish and refine, but I truly think the game was probably almost ready to go. I do think they will make that November 19th date. Given that they're showing off the Kickstarter bonuses that are in production, I think it's safe to say it's all ramping up for release in November.

But it doesn't really matter...Shenmue is always destined to be fighting an uphill battle, no matter where it releases.

The best we can hope for is that it sells well enough to warrant a similar size budget for the next one to be put into production.

Last edited:
With the recent push of the Japanese Version & Day One Edition details, I really can't see this being delayed again - Deep Silver are pushing this out whether we agree with the release date or not! Also, as stated, I don't think we want to see any news which could be considered negative, we've already had enough backlash as it is. So mark your calendars, book holiday from work because Shenmue III Will be arriving November 19th!

I don't want anymore delays, at this point the potential increment will not be that much to justify another delay. According to Suzuki the game is done, they are bug fixing and polishing details, if that is true, then unless they find a major issue it should be released on november. There is no ideal slot in the video game market. You could move to january, or march, or whenever, but there is less potential sales on that window, or there will allways will be another AAA game released at the same time. At the end of the day Shenmue III success is in YS Net hands, if they have develop a great game that can appeal to more people, it will succeed.

Back