Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I'm feeling the game will get lots of 6's, 7's, and 8's when released from the industry "pros". I don't see how it goes under that with the minigames being back and then some, with the massive amount of dialogue(Supposedly in the running for most ever in a game), the environments in combination with the music taking you away, and I'm sure we'll have more charming and totally badass moments like Shadow Step hobo and The Land Shark granny Guixiang.

I think it'll succeed in making you feel like you're part of a living, breathing, active community taking all of that in consideration. I can't think of too many other games doing all of this at once. I'm starting to feel like Animal Crossing is a better comparison than Yakuza.

So far I feel it might fall short on the combat experience at least compared with the other games. I can see where the graphics & animation look last genny in some areas, or outright fall short(As of the footage we have now, and in Yu's defense he said he wanted to polish these up before release). I feel the RPG approach this time around will be hit or miss. Some people might have liked that you could never train and still run through the game at your own pace. Some people will like it if the feedback & gameplay loop is good. Or it might feel like a grindy chore to everyone. We shall see.

Userscore will probably be all over the place obviously, but honestly who cares about the negative crowd that just wants to pile on. If it's getting 8's, 7's, and (less so) 6's and makes a good profit it should be enough for us to get Shenmue 4.

Amazing how to the media and critics are super silent when there's good shenmue 3 news (Backer rewards). As soon as there's something remotely negative or dramatic, they jump all over it, fully engaged and willing to keep it in the spotlight
I'll be looking forward to their stunned silence when the game releases and blows everyone away.

I've even read about people asking for refunds because they didn't get to be part of the game design process as "promised" by Yu Suzuki, so nothing really on internet surprises me at this point.
This is why I wish Day 1 Steam keys were available to avoid giving any refunds. Now, many backers will try justifying why they deserve a refund if they backed the PS4 version.

I was thinking earlier today, maybe alot of the negative press involved with Shenmue 3 also has to do with it being a Kickstarter project. I've heard some truly horrifying stories about Kickstarter and I've personally backed 5 different projects and regretted 3 of them. Hopefully Shenmue 3 does good and gets a sizable budget so Kickstarter can go away.

Back