Random Shenmue III Thoughts

If a delay is not needed for bug Fixing I am against a delay. there will Always be another AAA title on the horizon, and 2020 is way worse than November 2019 in that regard. If Shenmue 3 is a good game it will find it's buyers. No Death Strading, or any other AAA game can change that.

But the game has to come out as fast as possible.

The thing I've been thinking about lately is how the story will get people interested after tha Lan Di fight.
I will follow shenmue until the last bit of story made by Suzuki, and cernaitly the fight with Lan Di is not the only thing about the story Im looking forward to. But for many people, I think that fight is the culmination.
With a atory this big, I wonder how is the story going to keep people interrested after the thirst for revenge has been eased.

They could delay until Dec, or Jan, or Feb, but at some point you've just got to have faith in the game and release it when it's done.

One concerns...are the haters/trolls & disgruntle backers over EGS will go around review bombing/shame flinging and try to murk Yu Suzuki's credibility even tho he's not at fault in the PR mess DS created.
Well they can't review bomb it on Steam...and no one cares about user reviews on Metacritic etc.

Well, the Nov delay do line up with CHN's release month so I guess this brings everything to a simultaneous world-wide release at the same time for all region.

Well they can't review bomb it on Steam...and no one cares about user reviews on Metacritic etc.

I think it's more the comments that people do read/check & not really the User score that may scare away people after getting misinformed/Lied to, etc.

I think it's more the comments that people do read/check & not really the User score that may scare away people after getting misinformed/Lied to, etc.
True, but positive reviews will wash all that crap away. The more positive the reviews, the less people will care.

However, if the reviews are mixed, then you'll see a lot of "I told you so"s and "glad I got a refund", "they deserve it" etc. At that point there's really nothing to be done. Some people will be influenced by that sort of gloating and some people won't be.

Shenmue 3 can easily get 6 and 7s out of 10s and still be a "good Shenmue game", just not necessarily a great, revolutionary modern game (in the opinion of some critics), and that's fine. People using mixed and above average scores to say "I told you so" is stupid. As discussed a number of times, 6/10 is not code for crap. I know a lot of gamers have a ridiculous attitude that anything less than 7 out of 10 is bad, but there's no longer any truth to that myth. It's a leftover from the 90s and early 00s when scores used to be a lot more inflated. Nowadays, most critics use the full spectrum of their scoring system.

Broken Sword 5 got a lot of 6 and 7s out of 10 and I enjoyed the game just fine. Most of the criticisms were fair, but it still had plenty to offer longterm fans of the series and newcomers.

You can't just keep delaying the game whether it is for development or marketing. Regardless of marketing it will stand or fail depending on how good the game itself is. I'm not bothered with talk about marketing/competition, compared to the days of Shenmues I and II the internet has radically changed and social media will spread reviews like wildfire. If it's a hit, people will know about it, and that will entice them to buy Shenmue 3 moreso than marketing.

If Shenmue III is another masterpiece, it has a chance to survive the holiday crunch...
I reckon it will easily get a 8/10. Shenmue HD should have got an 8/10 but I think the bugs and glitches lowered its overall score.

Shenmue 3 has to have a perfect launch. There can't be no more f*k ups heading into the final few months.

Agreed. As a professional publisher, Deep Silver has the responsibility to ensure Shenmue III's launch materials and game quality are Grade A.

Last edited:
I would consider anything above 70% a relative success. Considering how the game seems to be mostly targeted towards existing fans in its mechanics, along with the apparent media agenda, I struggle to see if rating above 80% on average. God, I would love to wrong, though.

I reckon it will easily get a 8/10. Shenmue HD should have got an 8/10 but I think the bugs and glitches lowered its overall score.

Shenmue 3 has to have a perfect launch. There can't be no more f*k ups heading into the final few months.

Oh I agree. I think 6 and 7s are worst case scenarios. I'm also taking into consideration that scores could still be really mixed with some 8s and 9s. ZombiU and Alien Isolation are some of my favourite games this generation and both had scores varying from as low as 5 or 6 out of 10 all the way up to 9 out of 10s

Marketing and reviews gotta be critically acclaimed(or well received) and top notched or this niche series will get buried.

But on the other hand, Shenmue III does have legendary status/Anticipation so if the fanfare is huge enuf from fans/words of mouth we can help add/compliment the product going into release week.

One concerns...are the haters/trolls & disgruntle backers over EGS will go around review bombing/shame flinging and try to murk Yu Suzuki's credibility even tho he's not at fault in the PR mess DS created.

I think what doesn't get talked about enough is that the game will likely receive more sales on PS4 than on PC. In other words, the PS4 fanbase is the silent majority who won't negatively affect the press of Shenmue III at release.

I think what doesn't get talked about enough is that the game will likely receive more sales on PS4 than on PC. In other words, the PS4 fanbase is the silent majority who won't negatively affect the press of Shenmue III at release.

Some fellow on Twitter wants a refund for his PS4 copy because journalists got to play a trial version before he did.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Back