Kickstarter Update #108 - Trial version announcement

The best part about this? We can see how good the sunsets will look in Shenmue III. I'm thinking of just standing Ryo at the hillside above Bailu Village and watching the lighting change throughout the day.

Why do you think I'm planning to do a long, high quality, timelapse video ?

That's the entire point. Watching how Bailu changes during a day.

I do wonder though if we'll get full real time time change... or if we'll get a cut when it's night (which I hope for).
I need this to be in the game:

I do wonder though if we'll get full real time time change... or if we'll get a cut when it's night (which I hope for).
Going by design plans from 2015, the intention was to cut like the originals with a "map change" at 7pm.

Could have changed since however, but there would need to be some transition to account for all the environmental lights that aren't present during the daytime.

Going by design plans from 2015, the intention was to cut like the originals with a "map change" at 7pm.

Could have changed since however, but there would need to be some transition to account for all the environmental lights that aren't present during the daytime.

I don't think that'd be the reason for a transition. Nowadays, real time lighting can take charge of that. Althought it'd be necessary for environmental changes such as the night market in Bailu.

So I saw the new Edge magazine today and saw this. I gave up reading it a few lines in, but it was worth it for Edge's response! (Sorry, I wasn't sure which thread to put it in...)

View attachment 3827View attachment 3828
I saw this too it made me laugh so hard. What is this dude on? Fucking horrendous if society has gone to such lengths.

Edges reply made it though

They are trying to appear clever, but come across as unhinged.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Epic are saints in all this, but bloody hell.

Edge's response is genius :love:

So I saw the new Edge magazine today and saw this. I gave up reading it a few lines in, but it was worth it for Edge's response! (Sorry, I wasn't sure which thread to put it in...)

How about this? You don’t like the brand of cupboards you were given this year. So you call up the company and complain about how inferior this brand of cupboards are. So the company says, ”Due to business logicistics, we can’t replace them right away, but we’ll be able to replace them in a year.” Seeing as how you’ve been waiting eighteen years for the objects inside these cupboards you think “What’s another year?” In November 2020 you get your brand new cupboards with these objects. Case closed. End of discussion.

Jesus fucking christ...all that from a throw away line? Some people have way too much time on their hands.

They hate Epic, they hate Tencent, they hate China, they hate Shenmue...

Their hate runs deep...

But heart bleeds deeper...

Fear leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering

These people will be a distant memory when the game comes out. I’m sure they’ll destroy the Metacriric user rating but who really takes that shit seriously?

I know we hate the “no true Scotsman” fallacy but seriously, no true Shenmue fan will resist continuing the story after waiting 20 years. No way.

I shouldn't be digging my way into the EGS discussion, but:

I bought the PC version of Tetris Effect after it came out, which is an Epic store exclusive right now, despite already owning the PS4 version and having played that to level 100. The analogies about Epic spying on you are ridiculous. They effectively have the same amount of power that Steam does and if you think it's fine for Steam you're a hypocrite. When I ran into problems with Tetris Effect being unable to find an internet connection, I was paranoid that Epic might be detecting Cheat Engine or Reloaded Mod Loader on my machine and deciding to disable game functionality. I loaded up process monitor myself and watched as it and the game loaded. No, EGS was not scanning my drive looking for cheating or modding apps installed. It did not scan my Program Files to see what's in there. I recall seeing a post from someone claiming that EGS does scan your machine, but I call BS on that because it wasn't on mine.

My problem ended up being that my clock was off by 6 hours and the game was displaying a stupidly incorrect error message as a result. (Encryption can sometimes require clocks to be reasonably in sync, this is to prevent replay attacks if someone logs encrypted data)

In short, I haven't really had any problems with EGS as a store or a client. It would be nice if they had achievements, but they do publish their TO DO list and it is on there, I think last I checked scheduled for early next year. I'm fine with them going with EGS because the extra money is helping them make a better game for everyone and I don't care that I'll have to use not-Steam for the PC port.

What I do see as a concern though is this:
Tetris Effect has a weekly online event every Saturday, where players worldwide earn points to reach a goal. In the month after the PS4 launch, this goal was around 3 million. 4 months after the PS4 version launched the weekend goal was 1 million. Points and scoring have not changed, they just adjust the goal to try and make it achievable close to the end of the day based on the number of active players. The 2nd weekend after the PC version launched, the goal was 200,000. In other words, right after release the PC version had roughly 7% of the players that PS4 had during the same time after launch.

PS4 sales will be what makes or breaks Shenmue 3. PC sales will be negligible by comparison.

========
Back on the topic of the demo, I'm glad we got confirmation that it's not limited. I think it's feasible that they haven't actually sped up time compared to Shenmue 2. It's possible for example that there could be a timed event that needs to occur after a certain time but before 9PM and most players will get to it right away, putting the average play time at an hour. They didn't say it was exactly an hour long.

I shouldn't be digging my way into the EGS discussion, but:

I bought the PC version of Tetris Effect after it came out, which is an Epic store exclusive right now, despite already owning the PS4 version and having played that to level 100. The analogies about Epic spying on you are ridiculous. They effectively have the same amount of power that Steam does and if you think it's fine for Steam you're a hypocrite. When I ran into problems with Tetris Effect being unable to find an internet connection, I was paranoid that Epic might be detecting Cheat Engine or Reloaded Mod Loader on my machine and deciding to disable game functionality. I loaded up process monitor myself and watched as it and the game loaded. No, EGS was not scanning my drive looking for cheating or modding apps installed. It did not scan my Program Files to see what's in there. I recall seeing a post from someone claiming that EGS does scan your machine, but I call BS on that because it wasn't on mine.

My problem ended up being that my clock was off by 6 hours and the game was displaying a stupidly incorrect error message as a result. (Encryption can sometimes require clocks to be reasonably in sync, this is to prevent replay attacks if someone logs encrypted data)

In short, I haven't really had any problems with EGS as a store or a client. It would be nice if they had achievements, but they do publish their TO DO list and it is on there, I think last I checked scheduled for early next year. I'm fine with them going with EGS because the extra money is helping them make a better game for everyone and I don't care that I'll have to use not-Steam for the PC port.

What I do see as a concern though is this:
Tetris Effect has a weekly online event every Saturday, where players worldwide earn points to reach a goal. In the month after the PS4 launch, this goal was around 3 million. 4 months after the PS4 version launched the weekend goal was 1 million. Points and scoring have not changed, they just adjust the goal to try and make it achievable close to the end of the day based on the number of active players. The 2nd weekend after the PC version launched, the goal was 200,000. In other words, right after release the PC version had roughly 7% of the players that PS4 had during the same time after launch.

PS4 sales will be what makes or breaks Shenmue 3. PC sales will be negligible by comparison.

========
Back on the topic of the demo, I'm glad we got confirmation that it's not limited. I think it's feasible that they haven't actually sped up time compared to Shenmue 2. It's possible for example that there could be a timed event that needs to occur after a certain time but before 9PM and most players will get to it right away, putting the average play time at an hour. They didn't say it was exactly an hour long.

The spying stuff is utterly ridiculous. Glad you had a good time anyways, Tetris Effect is a fantastic game.

Back