Kickstarter Update #108 - Trial version announcement

PS2 had good gfx, but cursed forever with poor video. Plus, the convoluted architecture took quite awhile before games really looked decent (MGS2 or GT3 was one of first IIRC). Sure with some time and AM2's genius, it'd be possible but with fugly ass PS2 480i (only a few very late games used 1080i over component, which I think was a bit faked).

Component can't even save PS2's video; bit of a waste of the technology. S-video actually looks better to me (although, I'm biased because I feel it was and is underrated--hate how legacy ports are composite rather than s-video). Yipper cables are somewhat too good for PS2 and occasionally introduces jagged artifacts at 480i on a console already famous for jaggies, like when sharpness levels are way too high on your TV.
You should try PS2 RGB SCART cables. And the 480i signal looks great on an old Trinitron CRT set, it can look okay with upscaling but upscaling is upscaling, fixed resolution monitors were a mistake.

Still, I agree it doesn't look as good as say the xbox or gamecube.

Last edited:
Sure, if all you want is the refund then I have some sympathy, but the way some people carry on about it makes it so damn hard to be sympathetic towards. They act like YSNET slit their dogs throats or something.
I mean it's not even the performative outrage theatre, it's that they really expect everything else to be dropped so they can get their money quicker.

They beat the drum about doing right by backers, but they'd happily fuck over all other backers who have no intention of taking refunds. They're hypocrites, and unfortunately we're in an environment where they're enabled to be like that with no consequence. It's mob rule.

The true madness lies in that they haven't turned down the knob from 11 since this started. They "won" the refunds, but a huge amount of them act like Update #104 never happened.

I have some amount of sympathy for the crowd getting impatient for refunds, but boy does it start drifting away whenever I read those KS comments.

Can't wait for the day the update comes and these people can just fuck off forever. Will put a bottle of champagne on ice.
the thing is. many of them will not go away. their existence would lose its meaning lol

I mean it's not even the performative outrage theatre, it's that they really expect everything else to be dropped so they can get their money quicker.

They beat the drum about doing right by backers, but they'd happily fuck over all other backers who have no intention of taking refunds. They're hypocrites, and unfortunately we're in an environment where they're enabled to be like that with no consequence. It's mob rule.

The true madness lies in that they haven't turned down the knob from 11 since this started. They "won" the refunds, but a huge amount of them act like Update #104 never happened.
I wouldn't say it's mob rule. Look at how little attention they're actually getting from YsNet. They're clearly not rushing to get the refunds out there so all the entitled people demanding refunds are just making a bunch of noise but really getting nothing out of it. They'll get their refunds when YsNet or even EGS says so and no sooner and they'll like it. Makes me laugh to be honest.

Edit: In fact the only thing they have control of are the kickstarter comments and anyone with half a brain can see how little those matter.

I wouldn't say it's mob rule. Look at how little attention they're actually getting from YsNet. They're clearly not rushing to get the refunds out there so all the entitled people demanding refunds are just making a bunch of noise but really getting nothing out of it. They'll get their refunds when YsNet or even EGS says so and no sooner and they'll like it. Makes me laugh to be honest.

Edit: In fact the only thing they have control of are the kickstarter comments and anyone with half a brain can see how little those matter.
I mean I agree it's a little bit funny how impotent the rage is, given Ys Net are just pootling along at their own pace as they do for basically everything else, but these people have taken over the narrative. It's undeniable.

This is probably one of the last bastions to discuss the game without it descending into total shit in regards to refunds, and even now we're technically talking about them. It's all-consuming. They've won the battle, but the blood lust aint' over - as evidenced by the desperate search for the next big scandal. Until these people are forcibly removed from the conversation by way of refund, this is just how it's going to be.

wez9TVU.jpg

I don’t know if the Kickstarter user who posted that list and justifies it is naive, entitled, insane, or any mix of those three. So you want Yu Suzuki to risk lawsuits from Deep Silver and Epic, have a Shenmue game with less content overall, and hope that CD Project Red will save the day. And for all that, Yu Suzuki gets what in return? A “measure of forgiveness” from fans. Then the user tops it all off by acting as if he’s the arbiter for the Shenmue fanbase. Nobody speaks on my behalf unless I deem them to, and if you believe otherwise, then you’re an arrogant prick. It’s shit like this that has made me lose a lot of sympathy for the fanbase over this issue. It was over the day that Y’s Net announced refunds and delayed Steam keys.

Last edited:
The playing guide isnt strange. Couple months ago I was watching a lets play of shenmue 2 and the player didnt understand the context sensitive buttons. They missed a lot.

Last edited:
I'm on it. Trust me.
Not only I'm going to provide you 4k screenshots downsampled from 8k, not only I'm going to record a load of 4k60 footage, of gameplay but also I'm going to try to do off camera stuff like timelapses.
Also, I'm going to push the game as far as possible with ini tweaks, like draw distances and such.
Awesome.

Confirming 60 fps on pc would also be cherry on top. Since reports out of E3 claims it but nothing shown to demostrate it so I also wanna see how smooth a 60fps shenmue plays from it's 30fps predecessors.

Not to get on a soapbox, but Miyamoto should've gotten dick; the guy made games that sold to death and were super popular, but what did he innovate? What, "art," did he create? What did he do that changed the landscape of gaming from a technical standpoint?

I totally get that he's responsible for hit after hit, but NONE of those titles changed gaming like Yu's games did:

• the Super Scalers changed Arcade and console racers alike
  • Virtua Fighter changed the future of fighting games and their effects are still seen to this day
  • He was the first to go on trips and research the background of things, before implementing them into games (people had already been doing this for decades in film, but not in games)
I'd be totally cool with, "Lifetime Achievement," awards or sales awards or something, but Interactive Arts Academy? Miyamoto isn't in the same realm as Suzuki, period.

I agree. But they have criterias outside of pure-technical advancement so Miyamoto prolly scores more points in those category to be the first recipient. But industry-wise, Yu is the better innovator. Modern-gaming and Triple AAA landscape was largely influenced & shaped by Yu & not Miyamoto. Tho...now it kinda contributed to creating the "graphiks" obsess peeps we have today...as we can see from the sticks used to beat YS/shenmue with it's the graphics folks kicking up most negative criticism.

Sure, if all you want is the refund then I have some sympathy, but the way some people carry on about it makes it so damn hard to be sympathetic towards. They act like YSNET slit their dogs throats or something.

That is just me, but with each day passes I lose more and more respect for the "critics". I start thinking that they have no reasonable complaints they just complain for the sake of complaining.

They get the Demo, like promised and they still whine. Their demands are getting more and more outlandish . If they continue with that, they could reach a point when nobody is taking them serious anymore. I hope this point is coming sooner than later.

How long was an in-game day in the original games again? 40 min? So the days could actually be the same length in III, but there may be some events thrown in that extend the play time.

In Shenmue I the in-game timer runs at all times (except when paused or loading), and one minute passes every four seconds. A full day, 8:30am to 11:30pm, is exactly one hour.

In Shenmue II the in-game timer stops running whenever in menus, looking at the notebook, or playing arcade games, and one minute passes every six seconds. A full day, 8:00am to 11:00pm, is 90 minutes plus any additional time spent above.

8:30am to 9:00pm taking "about an hour" might mean the in-game timer stops running at various times like in Shenmue II, but passes at the same rate as in Shenmue I. It might also mean that the in-game timer runs at all times but at the rate of one minute every five seconds, a speed somewhere between the first two games.

Back