General RGG Discussion

Fantastic!, Finally every Yakuza game on one system. I'm thinking about playing 0 again first and then making my way up all the way to 6.:LOL:

II'm definitely gonna wait for the physical release in February. Never having owned a PS3, this will be my first chance ever to play Yakuza 3.

Had a bit of trouble with the cane dude last night. You gotta fight him like five times and that gun gives you big mortal wounds.

Finally got Akiyama to level 20 in Yakuza 5. Thankfully it took no time to grind him up the extra level and a bit. Time to limit break and then finish the game - and then hit the boat load of side stuff I've not even touched yet!

That opening night presentation was abysmal. I checked out before they got to Borderlands 3, it was so badly paced with those horrific interviews (well, if you can call them that). But hey, the new Need for Speed game sounds just as bad as the last 5 so that cements my non purchase of the game!

Announcements can happen at any point during the week. Or not at all as this could not have even been true. I'm thinking its 50:50, I'd hope its true, but wouldn't be surprised if its not. And hey, just over a week before we get real news for sure about a Yakuza game!

Now this one hurts. He did so much work on lots of Sega games I loved :( We lost a good guy :(

Plus, I loved it in the ending when you see how much This ending and story reminds me why Shinada makes a great one and done character, but it would be nice to see how his life turned around after the events of 5.

One thing I was thinking about in terms of something new. Do you think this franchise could ever do a true day/night cycle?

I get why they do the static day/night cycles. It works better for the way the game is structured to do the static day/night cycle in terms of side story layout and such.

But do you think they could change it up enough to possibly introduce a full on day/night cycle? The other thing I sometimes think about would be introducing a full on weather change system.

It would be something fresh for these games much like the persistent streaming world was new in the Dragon Engine.

You think they could do something like that to freshen it up or do you think it would just break it entirely?

I'm not actually sure I want a full day/night cycle in Yakuza as I enjoy exploring the areas specifically at night. Having the game take that away from me for X minutes depending on the length of the day/night cycle would ultimately annoy me. A weather cycle though would be ace... just rain and light snow, maybe cloudy/overcast for day/evening as well.

Hell, even GTA games haven't really strayed from Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas (Los Santos really was just San Andreas re-done)

But the areas have been re-done every time. Liberty City in GTA is not the same as Liberty City in GTA3 is not the same as Liberty City in GTA4. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

But the areas have been re-done every time. Liberty City in GTA is not the same as Liberty City in GTA3 is not the same as Liberty City in GTA4. I don't think it's a fair comparison.

Yeah, true and fair point. But to be fair, it's not like Rockstar is making GTA games every year like RGG studios though.

Yeah, true and fair point. But to be fair, it's not like Rockstar is making GTA games every year like RGG studios though.
Which is something they should stop imo. Ive bought every yakuza game since 2 on the ps2 but honestly, as much as I have enjoyed the series, if the next yakuza game is more of the same I'm not sure if I will buy it. At least not on release like every other game.

Which is something they should stop imo. Ive bought every yakuza game since 2 on the ps2 but honestly, as much as I have enjoyed the series, if the next yakuza game is more of the same I'm not sure if I will buy it. At least not on release like every other game.

I will say this though, after going to Kabukicho for the last 7 years in a row...they do actually keep it up to date in Yakuza (or as much as they can.) Even as I walk around the real place and see some of the changes in the last 7 years I've been going there, I do see those changes reflected in game as well.

Kabukicho doesn't change that much in real life. It's a really small district (it's pretty much what you see in game with a few minor differences) and it's pretty much the same every time I've been bar a few changes. So I guess it makes sense to keep Kamurocho like that....but they do change it a little bit to reflect the real world Kabukicho when need be.

I do kind of agree that they should stop the yearly development cycle though. Just to keep the team fresh.

And I am DONE with the main story!

Pretty good! Pretty damn good RGG Studios! I quite enjoyed this and can see it being on my GOTY list for end of year.

I might go back and do the side stuff later on, but I kind of want to go back and finish platinuming Persona 5 first.

I wouldn't mind a sequel with Yagami and company. I really grew to like these characters and really wouldn't mind seeing more adventures with them....but I could also live if they keep it as a one and done type deal.

I'll write some more later after I've composed full thoughts.

Also finished the main story last night. What a fantastic game, story and characters! I just love the writing for these games. Every time I know that there is going to be a twist and think that I have figured it out... but then they just take it to some other place I never see coming!
I'm going to go back and see what I can clear up towards the 100% but probably won't do another play through for a couple of years. I've done 31 side cases, so that will keep me going for a little while. I remember hearing from an interview that they have no intention of making a Judgment 2 at the moment, but that might just be PR speak for "we are working on Shin Yakuza". If they did make another one, the only thing I'd like to see changed is the amount (or how they do) of the trailing sequences. I think this is just one of my pet peeves in gaming, but they kinda have to have them in a detective game like this so it's fine :p

I am yet to play Yakuza 3-6 or Fist of the North Star, and after Tuesdays announcement of Yak 3 Digital, I really want to jump right in. At the same time, I don't want to get worn out on the formula so might just wait til the physical edition in Feb 2020. I'd have a hard time getting through Yak 3 in between now and the Shenmue 3 backer demo (and release), so I think waiting is for the best :p

On a side note, after telling my mates about Yakuza now for a few years, one of them finally watched a play through of Judgment on youtube. After I told him that it was the same dev's as Yakuza, and that 0 - 1 and 2, were on stream (for dirt cheap), he has now finished Yak 0 and already started 1. Just goes to prove that Judgment will help bring in new fans to their games and IP's, which is great news. Probably has something to do with it being a lot "easier" to get into, as it's just a 1 off, instead of a part of 7 other games in a series.

Plus, I loved it in the ending when you see how much This ending and story reminds me why Shinada makes a great one and done character, but it would be nice to see how his life turned around after the events of 5.

That's what I wrote in a post above; have him come back and make an unplayable cameo, just so we can get some closure and see if he's gone back to the NPB.

Just to note both of you, the final few side cases are worth doing the rest for. They are really cool, some great fights/moments to be had (especially the hidden boss, who absolutely rocks).
Glad to see you both enjoyed it as well :) Its one of my favourite entries in the series, though I probably say that about every Yakuza game!

Just to note both of you, the final few side cases are worth doing the rest for. They are really cool, some great fights/moments to be had (especially the hidden boss, who absolutely rocks).
Glad to see you both enjoyed it as well :) Its one of my favourite entries in the series, though I probably say that about every Yakuza game!
Ahh that is awesome, TY! I'll be playing it tonight I think. Just going to do a couple of side cases a day until I wrap it up.
Hopefully the hidden boss won't be as hard as the 2 at the end of Yak 0 lol Tried them for a while and ended up lending the game to my friend. I'll be sure to go back and get those finished at some point though :D

Yeah, I really enjoyed the Amon fight too; its different and puts the skills you've used thus far, to the test (unlike past games where you can just load up on weapons and the like).

Indeed, the characters they put in the game are fantastic; Kaito is awesome, Sugiura is a brilliant right-hand man to Yagami (which is great writing, because even though Kaito is set up as the right-hand, its actually Sugiura who performs all the lancer qualities and tropes) and Yagami himself, Kimura really hit it out of the park.

As mentioned, I'm not sure where they'd go with a direct sequel; anything is possible, of course, but I just find that making a direct sequel to this game would be tricky. For this reason, I want them to make more spinoffs/different titles.

Yeah, I'll probably go back and finish those off this weekend...I started dabbling in them last night...I did the Panty Thief and the infamous "Ass Catch Em"" side stories last night. They were pretty entertaining. So I'll dig in and check out the rest.

Don't know if I'll go for the Platinum...the Puyo Puyo requirement is killing me...I spent like 3 hours trying to beat every AI opponent. I have 9 of them beaten but I find I can't get past 25 wins to get the last opponent at 30 or 31 wins. Stupid requirement is stupid. So I don't know if I'll bother going for the Platinum trophy, but I do at least want to see the sub stories.

Thoughts on the story? Quite enjoyed it. Helps that Yagami is such a god damn likable protagonist. If there is one thing RGG does really well, they craft a really likable cast all around.

Fuck Shono by the way...what a fucking coward. Admits that the drug is a failure but ultimately kills himself with the drug to avoid meeting justice. Fuck that guy! Well at least the minister of health and the corrupt prosecutor were left to rot behind bars.

Okay, I got a little emotionally invested in this, but despite their tragic backstories and all, their actions were inexcusable. They were torturing and killing innocent people in chase of a false hope. They deserve to be buried under the jail.

The combat is still one of my favorites of any of the Yakuza games. Yagami's move set was just so much damn fun all around. Especially in one on one battles with Tiger Style. Multi men battles less so...it still suffers the same problem that the other Dragon Engine games had where you will be cornered and pummeled by large groups and lose massive chunks of your health for cheap reasons...but one on one combat is fun as all hell in this game. I think I preferred the Tiger Style over Crane style...Tiger Style had some really fun combos to execute.

Mortal Wounds are a good addition and add some strategy....I still feel Yakuza games are (at times) a little too easy for their own good. I wish the combat was slightly more involved. Mortal Wounds did help to add a little tactic to proceedings.

The end credits were cute too...with the missing cat and all.

Things I didn't care for? I didn't care for the tailing missions. The tailing missions got a bit boring to me. It wasn't a major problem, but still, I found them kind of boring after a while.

Dialog trees were a nice addition. although I wish they were maybe fleshed out a little more.

All in all though, I quite enjoyed it. Sure, at its heart it's another Yakuza game, but they did enough with it to freshen it up. It does feel like it maybe started its life as a Tanimura spin off that became its own thing but I really liked the story. I really liked the characters. I love Yagami's fighting style. I loved some of the new change ups to Kamurocho (dating was kind of cool)

All in all, very solid. Makes me keen to see what they do next with Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku.

Not long now until we find out more about that game.

Shin Yakuza news August 29, Nioh 2 news at Tokyo Game Show in September, Shenmue 3 Trial Demo in September,
Shenmue 3 full release in November, Yakuza Remastered Collection in February ...

i'm in heaven right now
fab.png

Shin Yakuza news August 29, Nioh 2 news at Tokyo Game Show in September, Shenmue 3 Trial Demo in September,
Shenmue 3 full release in November, Yakuza Remastered Collection in February ...

i'm in heaven right now
fab.png

Yakuza Remastered Collection Right Now if you go Digital ;)

Also, Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku in December (at least in Japan maybe) if they make their usual December release date. Not to mention guaranteed Western Info on Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku next week.

It still blows my mind that we live in a time where Yakuza is now kind of a thing in the West...Yakuza 0 really was a blessing for this franchise.

Truly a good time to be alive.

Back