Death Stranding went from GOTY darling to being Trashed on by Gamers now.

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
Because Kojima pretty much sums up DS as a glorified walking simulator to press.

And ofc people in the Kojima camp aren't happy about the bad Pr reception/reactions.

Also, Self-reflective critique threads of Era's outrage culture are now popping up; one among others.

Last edited:
This has been my fear about it every since I heard it was open world... MGS5 did not pan out well due to open world mechanics - The majority of the Missions were very generic and irrelevant to the story. I'd hope this game would have better scenario writing but with the gameplay seeming to focus on traversing landscapes... I'm left doubtful. Will I pick it up, of course but I refuse to give into the hype after the disappointment that was The Phantom Pain.

I should say though, I have seen a few members on here bash it a little too harshly due to it's conflicts with Shenmue (being an independently made project from a legendary developer & close to the release date), so let's not needlessly bash this like Steam-fanboys using Shenmue to fight against EPIC.

I personally think DS would be a great movie tbh. But its concept as a game? I think will be very hit or miss. IMO I think leading with DS as your studio's first game is prolly gonna back-fire for Kojima production. Now that we know it's very "art-house" centric and a walking simulator on top of it which Mainstream gamers hates.

and/or Kojima prolly doesn't have enuf experience with open world game design since he's very late to the party.

It's a bold move, but I am glad it is different! We've been speaking on the Yakuza thread at how RGG Studios should really try something different - I'm enjoying Judgment but it's SO Yakuza that I wouldn't even deem it a spin-off. I'll be interested to see how the next Yakuza game distinguishes itself as a Yakuza game while Judgment isn't... I'm glad it isn't just another Metal Gear clone, just look at Left Alive earlier this year...

So I'm really all for someone trying to be ambitious within the industry, it's something we really need. I haven't been completely taken on what I've seen so far but I'm certainly curious and wish Kojima Productions the very best with this.

Regardless of personal opinion, I am keeping an eye to see how much this pushes the industry forward or just a one time gimmick. Since Kojima claims it's a new never before done kind of game. Which is a bold claim tbh and the only thing keeping me interested from a gaming design pov.

Now if it turns up to be more than a gimmick @ release but pioneers a completely new Genre, then sign me up.

I do not care about DS to be honest. Used to be a Kojima fan, I really liked his old games, Snatcher Policenauts and MGS 1 to 3. MGS 3 was his master piece. With MGS 4 his games started to get more and more weird. MGS 5 was so boring that I could not even finish it.

The problem is, that game dev thinks that everything has to open word these days. It is a weird trend. Not every genre works well with open world. The sooner the devs get it the better. The strength of Kojima was to make great story games with weird ideas. At least in my humbe opinion .

Open world and the Kojima Style of making games does not seem to resonate well. MGS 5 proved that in a quite impressing way, and it seems that DS won't be any better.

But we have to wait and see. Maybe he keeps trolling and trolling and in the End DS is not the overhyped weird game I think it is .

But yea Idk if sony will fund another Kojima game if this one underperforms. Sometimes I think he wants an exit and is using his game industry cred to build hollywood rep so he can career transition when he hits his ceiling as a game dev.

Nice theory. But in the end it is hard to judge what Kojima is up to do. He promised a game that has no one tried before, and even some random people in the industry have said just good stuff about the game. But these bold statements are not backed by video evidence so far.e

Judging DS from the videos alone it just looks like a beautiful but random open world game with a open world that looks much more empty than your average open world game.

Koijma must be hidding many essential stuff of the gameplay in trailers if the game is really that unique ..

Call me boring but the idea of traversing the usa on a pilgrimage to bring unification in a post apocalyptic world sounds great. Seeing that your goal is to go from one side of the country to the other I doubt its going to be a stereotypical open world game a la ubisoft filled with repetitive sidequests, it wouldn't make much sense if the goal of the game is to always move forward.

Sounds good on paper, but I hope it works out and is as revolutionary as he claims. Atm, gamers are trashing it tho and it's taken a def PR hit. Kojima needs to be bold and don't compromise if this is his swan song and how he goes out.

Are the majority of gamers really trashing it though? Anecdotal evidence can be misleading.

Call me boring but the idea of traversing the usa on a pilgrimage to bring unification in a post apocalyptic world sounds great.
The problem is that all we have seen is a guy walking in a land barrenscape of nothing, putting some ladders and peeing.
Also the cutscenes we have seen aren't very interesting either.
A guy going from point A to B could be a description for the lord of the rings or a description of me going to buy groceries.

Call me boring but the idea of traversing the usa on a pilgrimage to bring unification in a post apocalyptic world sounds great. Seeing that your goal is to go from one side of the country to the other I doubt its going to be a stereotypical open world game a la ubisoft filled with repetitive sidequests, it wouldn't make much sense if the goal of the game is to always move forward.

The problem for me is that the world itself just doesn't look particularly interesting to explore. At worst, it looks like dull generic open world cut and paste wasteland that is becoming more and more prevalent in open world. Compare that to something like Shenmue III where I look at its world and think "that's a a place I want to explore and live in and will gladly do so just because it has personality and charm."

But considering there have been snippets of combat shown here and there for Death Stranding...I got to believe it's more than just walking and maybe it is hiding something that will make it all click and be a rousing success.

But based on what I've seen so far, the world itself just looks dull and therefore not a world I can see myself spending much time in...unless it truly is hiding something.

i agree with other comments here regarding kojima and open world games. mgsV was terrible mainly because he created a large, dead, open world.. we will have to wait and see but death stranding looks very similar.

The trailer presented the characters well and the models looks stunning. However it does nothing to even suggest as to what's going on. The world looks devoid of any character at all.

The playable bit they showed didnt help it either. All very mundane with nothing going on. I know they might be holding back but given the previous with MGS5 I'm not sure it will deviate too differently in mechanics to that and eventually that game bored me.

We know nothing about gameplay. (Walking in the forest maybe?)
We know nothing about genre. (Walking simulator?)
We know nothing about story (Do not... Abortion?)

Its GOTY because Kojima made it and the press and a lot of people loves kojima's cum. The last good game was MGS3, FIFTEEN YEARS AGO.

I hope Kojima understands that to be revolutionary means to define a brand new Genre or create a new genre branching from an already established one. (I.E 2D fighters-->3D Fighters)

Adding some exotic gimmicks to open-worlds is cool & unique but at the end of the day it's not revolutionary.

Reactions: red
Back