General RGG Discussion

i have no idea but Daisuke Sato intentionally mentioned in that Gamescom interview
that western press / websites / whatever will get their own information package about Yakuza 7
on the exact same day. so it should be impossible to miss anything

i cant find anything for the japanese event but probably because i cant search with kanji

Anyway, had a free morning today so I tackled Yakuza 5's finale. Honestly, the only issue I have with the ending is the existence of Yakuza 6, and me having finished 5 already so I knew what would happen. That said, there's still so much to love.

The final chapter is packed with combat, for all the characters. Which I really appreciate. Its really fun. Its a pity actually they didn't have one further bit with Shinada and Saejima so I could have used all four characters prior to their boss battles. Oh well!
Saejima might have my favourite boss in terms of hype - I mean a Majima fight is always gonna make me sit up and pay attention, and this one is the craziest of the bunch (he can summon clones now?). Plus the intro, heat moves and dialogue are all absolutely fantastic. I really do love Saejima and Majima's rivalry.

Shinada's is actually better on replay for me, as I thought his phonecall after fighting Baba was Milky, not Takasugi which was way more impactful for me. I love that he has a place that he belongs, I really do hope he got a happy ending, he went through so much the last 15 years... Also, the fight with Baba itself rocks, and seeing Kosaka and his cellmates show up just in the nick of time was cool.

Akiyama gets the best ending that deserved to be followed up on. The guy saves Kamurocho basically. "The only money lender to stand above the Yakuza". Yeah, I want Akiyama playable again after Ichiban is an established character please. And bring Hana back dammit. I really liked Kanai as a boss/villain in this game. He's a tank, a monster, and seemingly pretty damn invincible as long as you don't stub out a cigerette in his eye. He gets right back up after you beat him and only gives up when he realises he's very out matched!

Special mention to Daigo, who actually gets to do something cool. Between this game and 3 it turns out he's a bloody good shot. Pity he didn't take that shot sooner, could have prevented a lot of pain. Also, Watase is low key the other best character in the game. He's my favourite villain for sure, and he gets a brilliant speech with Katsuya when he almost dies.

And the end with Kiryu... yeah, Aizawa himself barely cares about the plan, he just wants to brawl with Kiryu. I love how he's completely outmatched - this is a dying Kiryu who still manages to beat the crap out of him. Now while the boss choice is no Ryuuji, Nishiki, Mine etc. he is the best fight in the series from a gameplay standpoint, only rivaled by Ishin's boss. And both are fantastic for the same basic reason - rather than staying in one place this entire fight takes place through all of Tojo HQ - now between the previous games (1-3 especially) you should be very familiar with this place, and using it as the end of the game? Pure genius. And ending the fight itself in the front area, pitch black night, snow starting to set on the ground. Its fucking brilliant. The QTE's are all great as well, very brutal and raw, this isn't like Yagami in JE where he's using proper martial arts, or Ryo in Shenmue (same thing), this is just two powerhouses beating the shit out of each other. Only thing I wish this game did like Ishin was music transitions per area, as a more somber tone at the tail end of the fight would have been perfect. Tiger Drops, counters and red heat mode are order of the day against Aizawa, it really lets you use everything you have against him and the fight feels so. damn. good.
The end bit with Haruka is great, and ironically actually makes Kiryu's choice in 6 make all the more sense - people complain that based on the events of 6 Kiryu's choice at the end of the game made no sense, and to a point they are right, but 5 is basically mostly Kiryu's (and Daigo's) fault. So him staying would only cause more hurt. He puts it best after Daigo gets shot in finale chapter 3 - "why? Why do people around me always get hurt when I get involved?".

As for the overall plot itself, I like it. Its taken 3 playthroughs to get it though. For example, I finally get what basically happened to Morinaga, and I do like how the plan is basically just a brutal Tojo/Omi war. In many ways this should have really been the last game, I love the characters in 6 but the stakes in 5 just make more sense in terms of a finale game. Though I suppose you could argue that Kiryu getting involved in 6 shows how his time has passed, the Yakuza have moved on and he has no place there anymore. I loved 6 though, so I'm not exactly sad it exists.

So yeah, 107 hours later the game is done. And I have a good 30% left to clear before I'm really done. Arena, Amon, Chicken racing... still gotta clear all that. Its definitely still my top Yakuza game after all this time. The combat is pretty much perfect, the characters and areas rock, the side stuff is the best in the series aside from the arcade (which Judge Eyes wins). Heck, even Karaoke is top since it has Baka Mitai AND Machine Gun Kiss.

Now to wait for that Shin news this week!

Oh, and in terms of the actual remaster - the only issues I really have is the following:
No readable Manga.
The one single frame rate issue is with one of Shinada's heat moves (his steel bar heat move) which drops the FPS slightly, briefly. Otherwise its perfect.
Some noticeable pop in, and OTT bloom for signs. Some more textures/signs could have done with touching up.

But that's it really. Its a beautiful game, and it runs so damn nice 99.9% of the time. 10/10 for sure.

I would’ve had no issue with Kiryu’s story ending at 5, but I suppose Sega really needed a good reason to guarantee
he’s NOT coming back ever unless the circumstances really force him to....which tends to be the plot anyway

6 uses a lot of A-list celebrities, most notably Beat Takeshi, whose presence was long overdue in the franchise.

Yeah, I guess 5 leaving things up in the air was something the team wanted to change to give him a definitive ending. And for that, 6 managed great, even if I do love the circumstances of 5's more. But yeah, having Takeshi show up in a Yakuza game was worth the price of admission alone, and 6 has so many great moments it makes me hyped to replay it.

Anyway, not long now until that Shin presentation. No idea on the exact timing though. I look forward to pouring over any info we get just like with Shenmue III's last week!

Yes, I like the idea of Ichiban’s character. I like how he’s practically a nobody while Kiryuu always had a rep. Ichiban is more relaxed and he doesn’t carry the same intimidation, but I think he still has Kiryuu’s heart but expresses it more casually in compliments to his easy going nature. Last, I like how his color scheme is reversed from Kiryu’s. While Kiryu wears a gray suit with a maroon shirt, Ichiban wears a maroon suit with a gray shirt.

But I hope previous characters come back, most notably Majima, Saejima, Daigo, and Akiyama. Plus, it’d be nice if the Judgment characters (doesn’t have to be Yagami, but maybe Kaito or the Matsugane-gumi) can show up as well.

But I hope previous characters come back, most notably Majima, Saejima, Daigo, and Akiyama. Plus, it’d be nice if the Judgment characters (doesn’t have to be Yagami, but maybe Kaito or the Matsugane-gumi) can show up as well.

I can't imagine why we won't see Daigo considering his position in the Tojo clan. I'd also imagine we'll probably see Majima as well at some point.

My big question is will they dare bring Kiryu back one last time as a Cameo...or will they genuinely leave him retired? I still wouldn't put it past them to bring him back at some point...if not this game then one down the line. As much as I want Kiryu to be done with the Tojo clan...I don't know, I still think they could at some point bring him back in a small role. I'm sure there will be a mention of him in the game somewhere though...much like he was briefly mentioned in Judgment (the Tiger Drop and Onomichi)

I could also maybe see them making a slight nod to Judgment somewhere in it...maybe a brief passing mention of AD-9 or something involving the case.

But idealistically...I still want it to be a fresh set of new secondary characters. Sure, have the old guards that you need (Daigo, Majima if need be) but give me new bonds. Give me new faces. I haven't really followed Yakuza Online so I actually don't know too much of Ichiban's unraveling story in that thing. So I'm genuinely curious to see where they take Shin Ryu Ga Gotoku.

As much as I loved Kiryu as a protag...I'm really glad we're getting new blood in Ichiban as well.

YES! YES!! Finally got a link to purchase the Remaster Collection on a UK site!:
Cheaper than the PSN version too :p (£44.85)
Much appreciated, will pre order tomorrow alongside a few other games on my list.

Ah post game in Yakuza, still so much to do... Been working on Shinada today, got his baseball related stuff done, and chicken racing. Done most of the arena, but the 100 man fight sucks ass... its so long and boring really, as Shinada can't do anything cool like Kiryu or Saejima or even Akiyama (Aki still gets the short straw though, his will be just as bad...)

Still, 74% done, aside from the arena I should be able to get the rest tidied up nicely. Its mainly just a few side stories and mini games, and modding which I've done half of. I've done all but 6 odd heat moves which I'm proud of, I do love trying to pull them all off throughout the game!

龍が如く7: 光と闇の行方
Yakuza 7: Whereabouts of Light and Darkness

JP Release Date: January 16th 2020

Ryu ga Gotoku 7 is official!

楽しんで (Enjoy)

Oh and by the way, looks like the Turn Based RPG April Fool wasn’t a joke...that’s actually the combat system of this game! You maniacs! You actually did it!

I welcome change! I’m so down for turn based Yakuza!

More details as they come...but that trailer has me super intrigued.

As for location: Supposedly it will take place in Yokohama! Not sure if Kamurocho will appear. Also, Ichiban is a huge fan of Dragon Quest...which might explain the Turn Based combat system.

Last edited:
Turn based? I'm not really a fan of that combat style to be honest. I guess this is a pass for me. Judgment was fun still at least.

Turn based? I'm not really a fan of that combat style to be honest. I guess this is a pass for me. Judgment was fun still at least.

In a twist of irony. One of the first comments I saw on Facebook about the Turn Based RPG-like combat was

“Well I guess it’s Shenmue III for me then”

I couldn’t help but laugh my ass off at the irony :ROFLMAO:

I’m actually stupidly excited for it. I wanted change...and I’m finally getting it.

Judgment was cool and all but I must admit...I was getting a tad bit bored of the same old same old combat...so I for one welcome change. This series needs a bit of fresh air.

But now I wonder if Judgment is the fail safe in case this new direction for Yakuza doesn’t bid well? Or if Judgment will take place solely in Kamurocho while this new Yakuza arc will take place in Yokohama? I wonder if this is a way to seperate it and keep the old school with the new school just in case?

Exciting times!

Last edited:
I didn't think I would be excited for this, but a new character, set in a new location and a combat system that is daringly refreshing! This is now my becoming my most antcipated title for next year!

For me, the worst part about Judgment is the combat (Well actually i'd say the stalking missions) - I think if anything it just comes down to Yagami's fighting stances, it just doen't feel as good as Yak' 0. I tend to just grab all the bikes I can in the area and mow enemies down. As someone who likes turn based JRPG's, this is just awesome!!!

I didn't think I would be excited for this, but a new character, set in a new location and a combat system that is daringly refreshing! This is now my becoming my most antcipated title for next year!

For me, the worst part about Judgment is the combat (Well actually i'd say the stalking missions) - I think if anything it just comes down to Yagami's fighting stances, it just doen't feel as good as Yak' 0. I tend to just grab all the bikes I can in the area and mow enemies down. As someone who likes turn based JRPG's, this is just awesome!!!

I didn't mind Tiger style. Wasn't a fan of Crane style...but I kind of liked Tiger style...Tiger had a lot of fun variants to explore combo wise once you unlocked them.

My problem was it just felt like more of the same and after near 10 games of the same style of combat...it was just getting a bit tired.

Apparently Japanese Twitter isn't so keen on the move to Turn Based. A lot of Japanese folks are voicing their disappointment over the change...but let's be honest, when is Twitter EVER happy?

I'm stupidly excited for this...I'm so down for that change to turn based combat. It's a breath of fresh air in a series that needs a breath of fresh air...and if it doesn't pan out then they have the expertise and know how to go back to the old style combat if need be.

But yeah, I'm stupidly excited for this game. I went from being interested to stupidly excited just like that.

The whole sutuation at Sega the the moment reminds at the Spongbob Episode Opposite Day. They make out of 3d Action Game Yakuza a turn based game and make out of a turn based game a 3d Action Game (Sakura Wars).

I do not mind any these changes anyway. It nice to give both series a new Approach.

I am looking foward to it.

The whole sutuation at Sega the the moment reminds at the Spongbob Episode Opposite Day. They make out of 3d Action Game Yakuza a turn based game and make out of a turn based game a 3d Action Game (Sakura Wars).

I do not mind any these changes anyway. It nice to give both series a new Approach.

I am looking foward to it.

Next they'll make a Rhythm Game out of Virtua FIghter.

Guys I am so happy and excited right now. I love turned based battle systems so much and Yakuza 7s main combat is turned based with complete party. Its such an underused system in todays AAA games, and it makes me so sad but now Sega comes along and is giving me the complete JRPG Yakuza game ive always wanted. And stating a new character and location too.

Thats rad.gif

Im fucking hyped.

I'm of two schools of thought right now.

On the one hand, after playing these games for 10 plus years, I'm very accommodating to the idea of change. I'm stupidly excited for this. This seems fucking awesome to me. I wanted something different and they're delivering something different.

That and I like turn based combat and I liked what I saw from the April Fools joke earlier in the year. So this does indeed appeal to me big time.

But to also play the other hand and give that side a fair go, it is kind of a risky move. They are potentially alienating the fan base that loved it for what it was...not to mention the fresh new crowd they've picked up from the success of Yakuza 0 in the West who maybe now love this series for what it is offering. They're still fresh to it and love it for what it is.

Now that my initial excitement has died down...it is kind of a risk when you think about it. I'll be very curious to see how it is received when it actually releases and what the follow up will be. I guess if it doesn't pan out then they can always go back to the tried and true beat 'em up mechanics.

But I applaud RGG Studios for taking a gamble. It's a risky move. But I hope it pays off for them.

Last edited:
Back